Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Trampletongs - An experiment with citizen mandates [Community Fort]  (Read 7218 times)

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile

PROLOGUE:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

----------

Welcome to Trampletongs, an experiment in citizen mandates!

Here's how this is going to work:

- Everybody can get dwarved (but only once)
 - Everybody who is dwarved can make a mandate in the thread (You can make as many mandates as you want but I won't do all of them. Try to be humble.)
 - Every time I update I will have fullfilled (or started to fullfill) at least one mandate (probably more than one though) of my own choosing.
 - Mandates can be pretty much everything (Pet goblins for everyone, build a solid gold dining room, place an *upright spear* in every dwarf's bedroom... Be creative!)
 - Mandates can be ignored if they're too difficult, too dangerous or just not enough fun.
 - I'm using the Fortress Defense mod.
 - That's pretty much it!

The map:

Spoiler: Dwarved people (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mandates (click to show/hide)

Index:
Entry 1
Entry 2
Entry 3
Entry 4
Entry 5
Entry 6
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:10:52 am by Sir Broccoli »
If sad, apply kittens.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
Re: Trampletongs - An experiment with citizen mandates [Community Fort]
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 06:19:48 am »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
 Good idea.
Can you dorf the hammerman as Anderz please?
Mandate: Make all of your workshops from metal bars (that mountain might help) except for the forge, of course.
Also, could you make my dorf the head of ze military? That would make me soooo happyy.......
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 08:06:36 am by ansontan2000 »
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 07:29:51 am »

Sweet. i like this experiment. I will most gladly take your armor maker slash stone filer. For the glory of the blood god, of course.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 07:41:49 am »

Name the woodcutter Yug one-eye, and I'll promise you he'll lose a an eye.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 08:46:39 am »

Nice idea!
I'm claiming first dorf with engineering skills (i.e. mechanic, siege engineer, architect), preferable male, but not actually important. Name him(her) Gar.
And once I'll get one, I'll state my mandate.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 08:53:15 am »

Miner: Karakzon.

Ill make my mandate when youve got a decent weaponsmith :)
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 09:05:59 am »

Entry 1

"Alright, you-" I frantically looked through my notes to find the dwarf's name, "-Yug, cut down some of these trees so I can start making beds."

"One-eye." The dwarf replied

"I'm sorry?"

"Name's Yug one-eye." He appeared to be serious

I gave him a look that hopefully managed to convey the words 'are you f*cking with me?' "Yug... one-eye."

"Yup."

"Now, correct me if I'm wrong," I said, "But you appear to have both eyes."

"I like to plan ahead."

"You're planning on... You know what, I don't care. Go cut down trees."

'Yug one-eye,' I wrote as he walked away to do his duties, 'Plans to lose an eye, possiblydefinitely crazy. Keep an eye onBe careful around this one.'

I turned to the miners "Alright, you two can start digging right here. I want a dining room, a couple of bedrooms and a room for a temporary all-purpose stockpile ASAP so if you-" someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around and looked into the face of the hammerdwarf. "Yes, can I help you-" -A quick glance at the notes- "Anders?"

"With a z."

"I'm sorry?"

"Anderz with a z." Once again, he appeared to be serious.

I decided not to argue and added 'with a Z' after Anders' name.

"Alright, now what do you want?"

"Well y'see," He started, and I felt that this was going to be bad, "They tole us we could ask you t' do things, and that you'd have t' do them. Like the nobs, right?"

"Right." This was going to be horrible

"An' I figgered that, seeing as there's lots o' metal here we could maybe smelt some of it?"

"Oh," I was surprised, I was expecting something much worse, "Well, we can certainly do that. I was actually planning on smelting some so that" -glance at notes- "Zomara can make you a suit of armor and-"

"All of it."

I gave him the 'are-you-f*cking-with-me'-look. "All of it?"

He gave me a quick nod.

"Listen, Anders-with-a-z," I said, "At the moment we simply do not have the resources or the manpower that's needed for an undertaking of such magni-"

"Queen sez you gotta listen to me."

He had me there. I had to do what he said or the queen would certainly punish me. I gave in. "Alright, if you want smelted ores you can go smelt them yourself."

He wasn't expecting this "I dunno how to smelt ores!"

"None of us do! I figured we could take our time with smelting ores seeing as we weren't in a big hurry to get metal, but if you insist we need metal then you can go and get it yourself."

"We didn't dig out any ore yet."

I turned to the miners, "Alright you two, change of plans. Tear down that hill, I want all the magnetite and lignite extracted from it."

"No bedrooms?"

"No bedrooms." I climbed on top of the wagon and shouted, "Listen up people! You won't have a proper place to eat or sleep because of a mandate that Anders-" I saw him open his mouth to correct me "-With a Z just made! I hope you will take this into account when you're thinking of your own stupid mandates!"

As I climbed off the wagon Anders-with-a-z started complaining "I never said we should-"

"Zip it! If you make a mandate you're going to have to live with the consequences! Now go build a smelter!"

If this fortress is going down I'm sure as hell not going to take the blame for it.
If sad, apply kittens.

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 09:15:00 am »

Christ, when did I become this wordy?! Anyway, Karakzon, you can make more than one mandate, no real reason to wait for a weaponsmith to join up.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 09:23:23 am by Sir Broccoli »
If sad, apply kittens.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 09:42:40 am »

Very interesting. Can I have the female miner?
Name: Gcd
My first mandate shall be for three elaborate spiral staircases, with pillars! Columns. And a statue.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 10:07:02 am »

sounds good to me.
But like i said, im going to wait ^^
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 10:19:43 am »

Can you dwarf me as Shorast Omristducim and set his nickname to "Kukuryku!"?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 11:32:52 am »

Entry 2

Finally! We're underground! Anders-with-a-z managed to smelt enough iron to get himself a complete suit of armor. I figured this would be enough for now so I ordered the metal industry shut down for a while and told Zomara to build a wall so that we can keep out any uninvited guests.
The miners worked quite fast; we've got a farm, a dormitory, a dining room, food&booze stockpiles and a food preparation area set up. Most of the workshops are still on the surface so they'll dig out workshop areas next. I was inspecting the walls when I received another one of the dreaded taps on the shoulder. The one who tapped me turned out to be the only person whose name I could remember, but then again it was very difficult to forget a name like 'Gcd'. I wonder what her parents were smoking when they thought that up...

"Yes? Is there something I can do for you?" I asked while silently praying that this wouldn't be a mandate.

"About those mandates..." Damn! "I kinda, like, thought of one?"

"Alright." I said, bracing myself for the worst, "Let me hear-"

"MIGRANTS!" The roar came from the as-of-yet inappropriately-named Yug one-eye.

I rushed off. "But what about my mandate!" yelled Gcd as I ran.

"Just leave a note on my bed!" I yelled, "I'm gonna go meet the newcomers!"

There were three of them. One of them was a craftsdwarf (specialized in glassmaking), one a diagnostician and herbalist and one was a tanner/mechanist. They were quite pollite and we had a very pleasant conversation until the mechanist (who had introduced himself as Gar) spoke up.

"So is this the fort where we can make mandates? Because I have some ideas."

Oh dear.

Thankfully I managed to get myself out of that conversation before any suggestions were made. As I was showing them around the fort I noticed a small note on my bed. It read, and I quote: "Three elaborate spiral staircases. With pillars. And columns. And a statue."

Fantastic.
If sad, apply kittens.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 01:22:52 pm »

'hey um boss...' Yug muttered. 'I don't really like this axe I can't get a decent grip on it, could you make me a new silver one.. wait I'm doing this wrong'. 'I MANDATE A SILVER AXE!'
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 01:48:04 pm »

Aha! I'm dorfed!

So, as a head of Mechanic's guild I mandate any lever in our fort to be built at special quaters, called Control Room, and only mechanists are allowed to pull hem. Control Room should be designed like this:

###############
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
#.#.#.#.#.#.#.#
###############

with levers installed at each side in recesses.

For mechanists I mean myself, my family - if any - and any future migrant with Expert Mechanic or higher.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 07:41:33 pm »

I am satisfied with a full kit.
You can keep the mining of that mountain for later, I was in a bad mood and decided to fuck with you XD
Edited my mandate but... Don't read that one :)
Mandate: Get a barracks with an armor stand and weapon rack. It's for the good of the fortress *shrug*. Also, you may want more people in the military. Being in a haunted biome, i'm slightly concerned about our defense.
By the way, just take away that "with a Z". It's becoming slightly annoying. Just call me Anders.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:42:38 pm by ansontan2000 »
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5