Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: What do weapons look like?  (Read 33802 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do weapons look like?
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2011, 02:33:55 am »

@Earlier; no-one was complaing about the lack of realism in Dwarf Fortress. I was however complaining that little list of weapons ASCit posted was mainly fucking ugly. As most "hey, let's ignore practicality" -fantasy weapons are. I also don't see much reason to make up all sorts of dubitable shapes for weapons that wouldn't at all work. Even Diablo II did really rather well on certain basic weapons and the realism thereof. (Ignoring things like the Great Maul of course.)
I actually did a bit of research into the zweihander before, at least I think it was that sword.  Hard name to forget, after all.  While a powerful blade, it was often unwieldy and used in a strange sort of anti-cavalry role, because it could do a fair job of cutting horseflesh when you were being charged at.  But that's more relying upon the horse's momentum to impale itself, so to speak.  Not to mention the psychological aspect of facing down a soldier holding a sword that's taller than you are.  And you'll notice that most zweihandlers have a flat part of the blade to assist in half-swording for more agility.
While I've no doubt a zweihänder could do mahoosive damage to a charging horse, I was rather under the impression it was mainly the Landsknecht pike-blocks doppelsoldner (dubble-pay mercenaries who usually wielded the zweihänder and/or halberds) were meant to protect which kept horsemen at bay. The doppelsoldner would mainly be used to damage the enemy pikemen (probably by pushing pikes aside, rather than cutting heads off and by simply slaying the pikemen).

I picture battleaxes as bearded axes (No pun intended, for once), and warhammers like this, but with a longer head:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You said something I like! Yaaaay.  :D

A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2011, 05:43:25 am »

@Earlier; no-one was complaing about the lack of realism in Dwarf Fortress. I was however complaining that little list of weapons ASCit posted was mainly fucking ugly. As most "hey, let's ignore practicality" -fantasy weapons are. I also don't see much reason to make up all sorts of dubitable shapes for weapons that wouldn't at all work. Even Diablo II did really rather well on certain basic weapons and the realism thereof. (Ignoring things like the Great Maul of course.)

But my entire list was based off the concept that dwarves are stupid, manly creatures who love huge, impractical weapons that help compensate for their small stature.

I actually did a bit of research into the zweihander before, at least I think it was that sword.  Hard name to forget, after all.  While a powerful blade, it was often unwieldy and used in a strange sort of anti-cavalry role, because it could do a fair job of cutting horseflesh when you were being charged at.  But that's more relying upon the horse's momentum to impale itself, so to speak.  Not to mention the psychological aspect of facing down a soldier holding a sword that's taller than you are.  And you'll notice that most zweihandlers have a flat part of the blade to assist in half-swording for more agility.
While I've no doubt a zweihänder could do mahoosive damage to a charging horse, I was rather under the impression it was mainly the Landsknecht pike-blocks doppelsoldner (dubble-pay mercenaries who usually wielded the zweihänder and/or halberds) were meant to protect which kept horsemen at bay. The doppelsoldner would mainly be used to damage the enemy pikemen (probably by pushing pikes aside, rather than cutting heads off and by simply slaying the pikemen).

Is it wrong that I read that last part as "Used to damage the enemy Pokemon?"

I picture battleaxes as bearded axes (No pun intended, for once), and warhammers like this, but with a longer head:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You said something I like! Yaaaay.  :D

Not bad, just a little...boring? Not colorful enough.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

OddTheTall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2011, 08:44:19 am »

EDIT OOOMMGGGGG OddTheTall HOW DOES YOUR BATTLE AXE NOT HAVE TWO SIDES,!!1

EDIT 2 ATLEAST A BATTLE AXE WITH A SPOKE ON THE OTHER SIDE
Having used both handaxes and greataxes in re-enactment combat, you don't want a batwing axe. It adds extra weight to a weapon that's already hard enough to recover after a swing.
The idea of double sided axes came from the double-bitted felling axe - you'd sharpen both sides the night before, then use one side in the morning and the other side after lunch - saves daylight.

@Quietust: I was thinking more Lucene hammer, but fair enough. I'll accept your description of a maul - its after period the my area of interest anyway.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2011, 08:48:11 am »

I have to say i Imagine GamesWorkshop Warhammer style designs when i think of Dwarf Fortress Weapons. Giant Double-Handed Warhammers, Roman-esque shortswords. Double-headed batles axes, skulls, iconography and spikes on everything.

Its a fantasy world, people can swing unreasonably heavy weapons around - i mean if a Dwarf can punch an FB in the head and smash its skull to pieces, a warhammer should be nothin.

Oh and if you want a 'reason' ; The Gods favor the strong and bend physics to make Legendary Dwarves even more Legendary..ey.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2011, 09:14:33 am »

It occurs to me. Mangonels would be better than catapults for DF. Firing a stack of ten which scatters would be far more effective.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2011, 09:19:54 am »

I've always been partial to the trebuchet, myself.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2011, 09:43:09 am »

To help get rid of excess cattle! Brilliant!
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2011, 09:43:54 am »

To help get rid of excess cats! Brilliant!

Fixed this for you.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2011, 09:49:46 am »

To help get rid of excess cattle! Brilliant!

The spinning Cow strikes the peasant in the head, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
The peasant has been struck down.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2011, 09:49:58 am »

Fixed this for you.
They are the same thing :P

Cats go moo and cattle shit in your slippers in DF?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2011, 09:53:03 am »

Fixed this for you.

No, you're thinking of COWS. Cattle can be many different species.

Cats are raised for leather and meat, and are therefor cattle  :P

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2011, 09:58:03 am »

Fixed this for you.

Do you want to be the first to test out our new trans-continental transport system? It's called the Dwarf Tosser. It tossess dwarves with notes nailed to them.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2011, 10:09:45 am »

Fixed this for you.

Do you want to be the first to test out our new trans-continental transport system? It's called the Dwarf Tosser. It tossess dwarves with notes nailed to them.
Depends, how does it work?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2011, 10:10:54 am »

Fixed this for you.

Depends, how does it work?

Yes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8