Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: What do weapons look like?  (Read 33810 times)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: What do weapons look like?
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2011, 05:14:47 pm »

Just saying that the larger weapons were either decorative or had alternative uses than being given to the average footslogged. But i will take your word for it for the zweihander.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 05:28:39 pm »

Are people seriously getting annoyed about lack of realism, on the forum for Dwarf Fortress? Believe it or not, it's also unrealistic to be working with magma wearing clothes made of spider silk and plant fibers, but i don't see anyone complaining about not being able to craft protective suits.

These Are dwarves. You know, the little guys who are able to single handedly hull a dragon up a rocky mountainside with a broken arm. I doubt they're going to have much trouble with a slightly over-sized weapon.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 05:32:04 pm by King DZA »

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 05:31:13 pm »

They also create and destroy matter.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2011, 05:31:34 pm »

I actually did a bit of research into the zweihander before, at least I think it was that sword.  Hard name to forget, after all.  While a powerful blade, it was often unwieldy and used in a strange sort of anti-cavalry role, because it could do a fair job of cutting horseflesh when you were being charged at.  But that's more relying upon the horse's momentum to impale itself, so to speak.  Not to mention the psychological aspect of facing down a soldier holding a sword that's taller than you are.  And you'll notice that most zweihandlers have a flat part of the blade to assist in half-swording for more agility.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2011, 05:33:57 pm »

They also create and destroy matter.
Not only are dwarves great craftsmen, they are also great physicists! Not so much on the math part, moreso on the boom part.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2011, 05:36:36 pm »

I was under the impression they had evolved a white hole/black hole system in place of of digestive tract. Matter goes in, energy is cast from the edges and occasionally, matter that goes into the quantum network is spat out of a white hole in the form of vomit. This explains the farming system, where the soil is impregnated with constantly vomiting (See fertilising) white hole worms!

The next step: BLACK HOLE CANNONS. MADE OF OBSIDIAN. FUELLED BY MAGMA

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 05:37:40 pm »

I think they're more engineers.  "Ach, 'tis close 'nuf.  Just add twice as much f'er a margin of err'r."

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2011, 05:41:58 pm »

I think they're more engineers.  "Ach, 'tis close 'nuf.  Just add twice as much f'er a margin of err'r."

I can imagine how a dwarven airplane would fly. In fact, I even found a model.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kentti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2011, 05:43:04 pm »

I actually did a bit of research into the zweihander before, at least I think it was that sword.  Hard name to forget, after all.  While a powerful blade, it was often unwieldy and used in a strange sort of anti-cavalry role, because it could do a fair job of cutting horseflesh when you were being charged at.  But that's more relying upon the horse's momentum to impale itself, so to speak.  Not to mention the psychological aspect of facing down a soldier holding a sword that's taller than you are.  And you'll notice that most zweihandlers have a flat part of the blade to assist in half-swording for more agility.

Actually according to that essay, zweihänders were usually used against enemy pike formations and also when weighing from 2-3kg and having that half-swording you mentioned, I wouldn't call them that unwieldy.

I personally wouldn't want to face zweihänder with one-handed sword, trying to take advantage of it's supposed unwieldiness.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2011, 05:43:08 pm »

Reminds me of the druids in the colour of magic/light fantastic who fly giant obsidian blocks through persuasion.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2011, 05:46:58 pm »

Reminds me of the druids in the colour of magic/light fantastic who fly giant obsidian blocks through persuasion.
I found the take-off area

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2011, 05:53:59 pm »

I was under the impression "persuasion" and "catapult" were interchangable.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2011, 05:57:01 pm »

They are, in the dwarven language they are the same term. English translation just screwed it up.

Sigg'd:
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 06:25:37 pm »

http://www.fukung.net/v/5637/monkeyswordfight.jpg

This is obviously the only way forward from here.

I think the image tag gods hate me.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:28:16 pm by Wannazzaki »

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2011, 06:29:45 pm »

for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8