Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: What do weapons look like?  (Read 33803 times)

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do weapons look like?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 01:52:21 pm »

Everything here is awful, except the one morningstar.

A battleaxe generally has a small, single head because a bigger and heavier one is more a liability to you than to your foe. A weapon needs to be fast and light enough and a second head doesn't enhance kill power.

Ofcourse, dwarves also use their battleaxes to cut wood which actually requires a different kind of axe. A woodcutters' axe can do fine with a second head because the extra weight gives you a more solid hit and should your first blade-end dull you've got a second one to fall back on. These advantages mean nothing in mortal combat, they'll only slow you down and tire you out. A slow and heavy swing is fine if your target can't dodge or strike back, like a tree, but a goblin is a different matter entirely.

Lindybeige on youtube has some awesome movies that, amongst others, explain this kind of thing.

Also, I think Girlinhat is referring to this video, in which you can see a bulky smithy felllow test out a "buster sword" on a bunch of pallets. You don't want this kind of results when someone is trying to murder you.

And yes, fantasy is generally as bad as you think because even Kroglor, Ogre god of mindless smashing would get his ankles fucked ten times over if he tries mucking about with such a stupid buster sword.

why?

also, i added a few weapon in modding, but they are more like the versions from the game that gave be the nspiration- ie a shamshir a a cross between a 2hander and a scimitar, while its a sword with a certain type of degree to the blade curve

I'm fairly sure the word "scimitar" simply derives from "shamshir". That a shamsir is a scimitar.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 01:55:54 pm »

After a quick search on google:

Spoiler: lots 'o' stuff (click to show/hide)

Well, that only took the better part of forever.
... as a student of history with a very keen interest in all things medieval, am I allowed to say that that made me cry?  :'(

Now lets be fair. Morning stars were damn effective at putting a dent in a breastplate restricting breathing and crushing organs.
What? Yes, I know that. The morningstar is one of the few weapons in that list which did not strike me as ludicrous; that one was plausible.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 02:01:16 pm »

Actually this was the video in mind.  This guy is obviously in great shape, and he got like what, less than a dozen swings?

Regardless, I generally imagine the shamshir is a shorter or stockier scimitar.  Shamshir is to scimitar as short sword is to sword.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 02:15:30 pm »

Moly hoses. It is originally the same guy though. Still a bloody ridiculous object.

Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 02:46:19 pm »

Of course they're improbable, impractical, and stupid, this is Dwarf Fortress, you sillies. Granted, most of those were simply me trying get everything on the list just so I could say I could, but you can't deny that they're almost all totally dwarfy.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 02:48:00 pm »

The real question is though: Where is the enraged badger tied to a stick?
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 02:49:26 pm »

With the elves.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 02:50:27 pm »

The real question is though: Where is the enraged badger tied to a stick?
See: Front Gate Restraints.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 02:51:31 pm »

Of course they're improbable, impractical, and stupid, this is Dwarf Fortress, you sillies. Granted, most of those were simply me trying get everything on the list just so I could say I could, but you can't deny that they're almost all totally dwarfy.
I prefer weapons to look like weapons. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 02:56:30 pm »

Oh yeah, well... I... prefer my... um... well, when you put it that way, it almost makes me want to go find better examples. Almost.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 04:05:06 pm »

Ah jeez you just started the topic to correct people didn't you, admit it!  :-X

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 04:33:12 pm »

As much as I like realism, I like to imagine battle axes as huge and double headed and warhammers as double anvils on a stick. It fits perfectly in the world where elves are supermodels and even dwarven females have a corset waist.

Ascii really leaves space for imagination.  :D

I really do love realistic warfare though.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 04:45:30 pm »

As much as I like realism, I like to imagine battle axes as huge and double headed and warhammers as double anvils on a stick. It fits perfectly in the world where elves are supermodels and even dwarven females have a corset waist.

Ascii really leaves space for imagination.  :D

I really do love realistic warfare though.
I picture battleaxes as bearded axes (No pun intended, for once), and warhammers like this, but with a longer head:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 04:47:20 pm »

Dwarven full-combat weapons

Dwarven Battle axes are similar to felling axes, I would imagine, seeing as they're also used for woodcutting

Shortswords?  Roman Gladius.

Spears are... well, they're spears.

Maces, I personally see a flanged mace

And as for Warhammers, I see dwarves essentially weaponizing a forging hammer rather than making one of those long-handled small-headed warhammers.  The latter may be better for fighting, but the former is more dwarvenly.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Kentti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 05:07:40 pm »

The biggest weapons were often ceremonial or for hoseback. The flamberge was ceremonial, the hugemongous man sized katana (Dikatana? i forget) was for human face horse back polo. Though think about it in fantasy. Average human stats is 10. A barbarian at start often has 18 strength. In earlier editions 20 was demigod status.

Point is fantasy isn't as bad as you think, just player characters and antagonists are all abnormal god-blooded freaks.

Actually Zweihänders were used on foot and were up to somewhere around 140-150cm long while still weighing only up to around 3kg.

This is highly informative essay when it comes to two-handed swords.
http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8