Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: leather industry  (Read 8024 times)

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: leather industry
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 08:52:43 am »

Personally the best animal would have to be dogs, you can take them on embark, they breed fast, supply a decent amount of meat, and can be trained into war dogs in a pinch. Also you should always kill them by a drop fall onto a weapons trap with a few serrated discs, severed parts also yield skin :D

But tame animals have to be slaughtered, no? I think the butcher won't touch the corpse.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 09:19:28 am »

Personally the best animal would have to be dogs, you can take them on embark, they breed fast, supply a decent amount of meat, and can be trained into war dogs in a pinch. Also you should always kill them by a drop fall onto a weapons trap with a few serrated discs, severed parts also yield skin :D
Hm, that's interesting. It really is. Not entirely sure how I'd be able to let them fall on a weapon trap and then get the weapon trap to activate, though.
I think traps always activate when a creature fall on it, so build a pit with a trap under each hole into the pit, and then order your dwarves to throw the dogs down into the Pit. Itīs basically a goblin execution set-up, except instead of a long fall, itīs a short fall, with a weapon trap instead of rock floow at the end.
Hm, ah-ha. Interesting. I've made small zone in my second cavern in the air about 10 z-levels above the floor and I intend to try to pasture some useless animal on it. Or maybe I should designate it a pit instead. :D

But tame animals have to be slaughtered, no? I think the butcher won't touch the corpse.
That's only the case with pets, I believe.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 09:43:55 am »

That's only the case with pets, I believe.

Nope. Pets cannot be slaughtered nor butchered. Tame animals can be slaughtered, but if they die from other causes, they can't be butchered.
At least, tame animals killed by natural causes (old age, hunger, goblins) can't. They're useless hunks of rotting flesh.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 09:57:19 am »

Hm. Annoying. Maybe I can then huck caught animals directly down that 'pit' from a cage without taming them. For security I've built the first two cages (rhesus macaques) right at the edge of that pit.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 10:06:24 am »

Hm. Annoying. Maybe I can then huck caught animals directly down that 'pit' from a cage without taming them. For security I've built the first two cages (rhesus macaques) right at the edge of that pit.
For real security, you should build a maximum efficiency dumping grid, a floor with holes every 3 squares, so every square of stockpile is adjacent to a hole. Donīt forget hatch covers on every hole, to prevent cancellation due to seeing a goblin/wild animal when it falls down. That way thereīs just one step down the hole, and most things canīt escape during that short a time.

Even with this set-up and cage traps at the only exit, I often have mountain goats and goblin thieves escape before being chucked down the hole, but itīs much safer than the alternative.

The setup is as below, with hatch cover over the holes (X), and the animal stockpile on the floor squares (O)

OXOOXO
OOOOOO
OOOOOO
OXOOXO
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 03:26:20 pm »

If pitting worries you, just build the cages and then attach them to levers.  Never once will fail on you except through forgetting to hook up the lever to the cage.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 [2]