Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: leather industry  (Read 8029 times)

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
leather industry
« on: October 10, 2011, 09:33:46 pm »

what is the best animal for the leather industry?

i thought about using geese (since we get eggs also, and they breed in batches) but unfortunately they do no return leather after they become geese (from goslings).  you have to wait until they get a little older which is god knows how long (impossible to track).

are there any animals that breed frequently and in big batches, that can be either butchered immediately for their skin, or a maximum of one year when their name changes?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: leather industry
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 09:38:34 pm »

I don't know... If you modded helmet snakes to be able to conceive offspring, then I guess they're a nice choice. Otherwise, I don't think there are creatures with a nice offspring to leather ratio (one creature equals one leather).
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:49:35 pm »

Goats or sheep are probably a good choice, considering their low grazing space requirements.  I tried this with horses (what I embarked with on a vanilla embark) but couldn't get the herd size to grow as the RNG* kept deciding I needed more males, and not more females, so my herd size stayed at three (at which point the oldest male was butchered for meat and leather).

* I think I shall refer to it as Ranugen from now on ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 09:51:59 pm »

helmet snakes seems pretty bad actually.

Code: [Select]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:40]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:2000]
[BODY_SIZE:60:0:50000]

i think to get a skin or hide the animal has to be at least 5000 body size, which these guys wont get to for a while.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 09:55:15 pm »

Actually Black Bears works pretty well for leather industry if I remember correctly.
They seem to breed quite fast once in pairs and once you have enough females you will have a good bunch in your fort.
Sadly I forgot to mod a game I had, would have been awesome to have some Black bear war animals or Cavalry he he.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 09:56:09 pm »

Cave crocs breed like wildfire.  So do dogs and cats, for that matter.  I'm fond of giant badgers, myself, either "purchased" from Elves or caged from the wild, you just have to mod [PET] on which is no big deal.  I like to capture wild ones and breed them in enclosures, to pit my military/mayor against feral giant badgers.

[PET] and [TRAINABLE] can be modded in after worldgen, fortunately.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 10:01:04 pm »

If all you want is leather, then use a creature that grows up quickly (i.e. in 1 year) and does not need to graze. If you don't mind editing the raws to make exotic creatures tameable (since the Dungeon Master doesn't work), setting cage traps in the caverns could be very profitable - the ideal catch would be a breeding pair of Jabberers (modvalue 4 and takes only 2 years to grow to nearly the size of an Elephant, though they don't lay many eggs at once), though cave crocodiles (TONS of eggs) and giant bats (live birth, but not very large) are also good. Voracious cave crawlers also look good, but I'm not sure if they actually breed.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:04:39 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 10:03:02 pm »

Voracious Cave Crawlers are pretty rough beasties on their own.  Not a bad choice for training into war animals.  And dwarfy to boot.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 12:03:28 am »

I had an industry once using a horde of dralthas I managed to catch. They're not good for breeding though; I think they starve faster then they eat.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 12:12:25 am »

If you're in a marsh or swamp, I forget which, and have salt water crocodiles those should do good as well. They have the highest egg clutches in the game, so you get a whole lot of crocs very quickly if you can get a female.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 07:33:39 am »

Personally the best animal would have to be dogs, you can take them on embark, they breed fast, supply a decent amount of meat, and can be trained into war dogs in a pinch. Also you should always kill them by a drop fall onto a weapons trap with a few serrated discs, severed parts also yield skin :D

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 07:55:44 am »

I go for dogs, easy to get and they breed very fast, also they donīt need to graze, one of the few domesticated animals that donīt need a large patch of grass to live on, which is a big advantage.

I guess more exotic animals are better for value, but my dogs make up for that with quantity. With dogs and goblin bones, I have bone enough for thousands upon thousands of bolts before I need to butcher another batch of doggies.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 08:05:33 am »

If you aren't against modding at this point, may I recommend editing your entity to make sentients butcherable? Only the promise of free leather can make Goblin Christmas better than it already is.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 08:26:51 am »

Personally the best animal would have to be dogs, you can take them on embark, they breed fast, supply a decent amount of meat, and can be trained into war dogs in a pinch. Also you should always kill them by a drop fall onto a weapons trap with a few serrated discs, severed parts also yield skin :D
Hm, that's interesting. It really is. Not entirely sure how I'd be able to let them fall on a weapon trap and then get the weapon trap to activate, though.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 08:39:15 am »

Hm, that's interesting. It really is. Not entirely sure how I'd be able to let them fall on a weapon trap and then get the weapon trap to activate, though.
I think traps always activate when a creature fall on it, so build a pit with a trap under each hole into the pit, and then order your dwarves to throw the dogs down into the Pit. Itīs basically a goblin execution set-up, except instead of a long fall, itīs a short fall, with a weapon trap instead of rock floow at the end.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Pages: [1] 2