Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Quest for the Fun Stick! [SPOILER]s abound  (Read 2957 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Quest for the Fun Stick! [SPOILER]s abound
« on: October 10, 2011, 05:47:26 pm »

...I swear it's not dirty.  I'm looking for an upright adamantine sword, but it's actually proving difficult.  I found out that my computer can run a 16x16 embark, but a fresh embark gets me 33 FPS so any real fort would crawl at best.  Regardless, I'm able to embark over a whole map tile and use Reveal, and there's no upright weapon.

I'm inclined to believe that it's on a per-biome level.  We've been told that it's one per map tile, but it seems like it's more rare than that.  Either that, or it's a world-overview map tile, which is a very low detail map and on a large world can be several dozen actual map tiles.

Discuss.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Quest for the Fun Stick! [SPOILER]s abound
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:49:40 pm »

Been playing DF for maybe a year. Never seen one. Never seen a curious structure either and lately i've been a reveal whore. Maybe it's a bug.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:57:24 pm »

Curious structures house the upright sword, you always get both, or neither.  I'm just now slightly confused about how they're genned.  I'll try to find a biome that's contained within a single map tile and see if one generates.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 06:02:17 pm »

Of the dozens of forts I have toyed with, I have only ever had one "Fun Stick" as it were.

It's only anecdotal evidence, but I would agree that it seems they have to be less frequent than one per map tile.

I have a fun save with one if you like.

Volcano (80ish z-height), makings of brass, bronze, steel (chalk, coal, lignite, hematite, limonite and a little magnetite), lots of gold(86k), 10k addy, good and savage biomes, 20 z levels from the ground level to the first cavern.

Here's the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5048
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:19:11 pm by Varnifane »
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 06:04:56 pm »

Interesting, but I'm not after a pre-made world.  I'd like to know how to get them myself, as I consider this an important and oft-neglected part of DF.  Plus, I want an adventurer to overtake hell.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 06:08:44 pm »

Okies.

If it were one per biome, then we have the possibility to have more than one Fun Stick per embark.

Now that would be fun, Fun and ‼Fun‼.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.

digs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 06:12:25 pm »

Of the dozens of forts I have toyed with, I have only ever had one "Fun Stick" as it were.

It's only anecdotal evidence, but I would agree that it seems they have to be less frequent than one per map tile.

I have a fun save with one if you like.

Volcano (80ish z-height), makings of brass, bronze, steel (chalk, coal, lignite, hematite, limonite and a little magnetite), lots of gold(86k), 10k addy, good and savage biomes, 20 z levels from the ground level to the first cavern.

if you wouldn't mind, I'd like that embark.  I want a nice location without having to spend the time creating worlds for hours on end to find it :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 06:19:36 pm »

Max size world with advanced worlgen (but very basic, only changed the end year and titan number) saw no sword over several embarks.

Pocket region with default "Create New World" found one on one map tile, with about a dozen pages of zombie creeping eyes...

It may or may not be the case of "one per overworld tile".

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 06:25:37 pm »

My machine won't let me do 16x16 embarks without crashing DF. =(

Also, added the save to my initial post.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 06:30:38 pm »

Interesting point, on a 17x17 region (min size) I get crashes when trying a 16x16 embark.  On a massive world (what, 237x237 or something?) I can run a 16x16 embark without crashing.  On he pocket worlds I'm doing 8x16 embarks.

I found a shrine where a Titan was sitting.  It had a "Zone" associated with it, but nothing showed on the building or zone menu.  Additionally, it had mossy obsidian.  Moss!  I want moss!

EDIT: Same pocket region as before, and one upright on a 16x16.  Going to try larger worlds.

EDIT: Another region, this time larger with default parameters.  Found one on a single 16x16.  Another embark square on the same map gave me another upright.  This was outside of the first one's map square, but within the same overworld square, if that makes sense.  So far it's adhering to the "one per 16x16" rule.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:41:21 pm by Girlinhat »

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 07:43:25 pm »

That's strange and unfortunate for you, I've been getting these dumb structures every embark and whenever I hit they my dwarves complain of   the rotting flesh and such.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 07:44:24 pm »

Shift + r reveals the rooms, and shows if there's an upright.  You can check that before you get too deep into a fort.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 08:51:28 pm »

I myself would like to find a Curious Underground Structure -- it seems like the best source of Slade (as per a recent thread regarding obtaining boulders of it) for ‼Science‼ purposes, in addition to a fun place to breach the circus.  Really hoping something comes of this experimentation.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 09:01:34 pm »

After a small tweak I realized that my advanced worldgen had 1 cavern layer.  When put back to 3, a curious structure was generated on a 16x16.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 09:05:58 pm »

Hm... so collapsing the caverns removes content?  That's new.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Pages: [1] 2 3