Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 623013 times)

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, just started to (try to) play this one. It looks amazing and I love the style of the art(?) but I have *no* idea what to do in it. I have just been walking around and I have found nothing. What do I do to start out in this one?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Ok, just started to (try to) play this one. It looks amazing and I love the style of the art(?) but I have *no* idea what to do in it. I have just been walking around and I have found nothing. What do I do to start out in this one?

Glad you like it :). Afraid there really isn't much to do yet, aside from look at the visuals, explore the world/UI, etc. A lot of people have pointed out this isn't really clear, so in the next version I intend to make it very, very clear what gameplay currently exists and what doesn't! Atm, very little, but in the next version, a hefty amount of exploration, procedural puzzle generation, some ruins, and some secrets.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 02:59:32 pm by Ultima Ratio Regum »

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the info. I look forward to playing in the future!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Development resumes! You can read the full blog entry at http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2013/05/27/urr-development-resumes/, but here is the short version:

What I am removing:

- Skill trees. They just clutter things up at the moment. They will return, bit by bit, when you can actually use them.

- Civ selection screen and civilizations/histories. I’ve done a *lot* of work on generating myths, histories, civs, flags, religions etc, which will see the light of day, but that will be the focus for 0.4. As above, don’t want to show off anything half-finished.

What I am adding:

- Language generation. Languages will be tied to civilizations and reflected in their ziggurats. In 0.3, you will be able to translate them from the start, but this will not always be the case.

- Civilization territories. Although they cannot yet war and battle in history, territories will nevertheless be generated and appear on the world map to demonstrate how this appears, and how languages tie to geographical areas.

- Technical improvements. Almost everything will be sped up, and should use less CPU.

- Ziggurats! With procedurally generated three-dimensional levels, puzzles, and some secrets up top. If you piece the secrets together, you’ll get a clue towards the future of the game…

What I am changing:

- Speed mechanics, probably. Next week’s blog entry will be (yet another!) in-depth look at this eternal problem.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

New blog entry! Weekly updates resumed. I'm making a (hopefully final) change to speed, and next week will have new screenshots to show off: http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2013/06/03/snow-sand-shallow-water-and-speed/

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I very much like using terrain as a major modifier for movement speed. Were the mechanics of increasing movement speed discussed yet? Do you only speed up if you're traveling in a straight line, or will it be a toggled option? If it's toggled, would being in a confined space restrict the use of faster options such as sprinting? Will trying to sprint through underbrush, up a dune, or other equally difficult terrain have a chance of tripping up the PC? 

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

I very much like using terrain as a major modifier for movement speed. Were the mechanics of increasing movement speed discussed yet? Do you only speed up if you're traveling in a straight line, or will it be a toggled option? If it's toggled, would being in a confined space restrict the use of faster options such as sprinting? Will trying to sprint through underbrush, up a dune, or other equally difficult terrain have a chance of tripping up the PC?

Glad you like the idea. Yes, basically you (and NPCs) can toggle running, then when you've been running for a bit, move into sprinting. Sharp turns slow you down. I love the tripping up idea... maybe! Would depend on whether you can accurately assess the chance, or whether it just turns into an annoying RNG aspect that can determine life/death. Maybe sprinting on difficult terrain slows you down, or gives you a warning before you trip, or similar...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Maybe have it give you a warning when going over rough terrain that moving too fast could cause you to trip? Or you could have a Safe Run and a Full Run toggle that either throttles your speed but prevents tripping over difficult terrain or lets you go full speed but risk tripping.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Maybe have it give you a warning when going over rough terrain that moving too fast could cause you to trip? Or you could have a Safe Run and a Full Run toggle that either throttles your speed but prevents tripping over difficult terrain or lets you go full speed but risk tripping.

The warning option could work; or running doesn't risk tripping, but sprinting will always risk tripping, maybe. That would be a decent trade-off for trying to sprint out of bad terrain. Modifiers (weight holding? Or maybe just Dex?) could affect chance of tripping...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd probably go a combination of weight (compared to str) and dex.

If you're heavily burdened, it's much easier to trip. Having run in armor, I can attest that it takes a bit more effort to get over obstacles.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

I'd probably go a combination of weight (compared to str) and dex.

If you're heavily burdened, it's much easier to trip. Having run in armor, I can attest that it takes a bit more effort to get over obstacles.

That makes sense to me. I'm still thinking over some of the exact specifics of the speed system (after a lengthy debate on the last devlog), but I like that as being a disadvantage to wearing heavier armour.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

I'm going to sometimes post blog updates here instead of the hyperlink to the devlog. Would people prefer it this way? Either way, here is this week's, cross-posted:

Short update-focused blog entry today. I’ve been working on a bunch of things, some which are bug fixes and small features, some of which are further development of the procedural graphics in the ziggurats, and some of which are secret for now. Here’s a list of what’s been done over the last week, and what the goals for next week are. Next week’s blog entry will be something a little different, hence why this week’s is both a retrospective for the past week’s work, and a… prospective?… on next week’s.

This week:

Seven new procedural graphics have been finished off for ziggurats, leaving all the block graphics finished. These include various creatures and locations, each of which has a wide variety of different poses, positions or permutations. As ever, generated art is a central part of the game, and I’m pretty damned happy with how these are looking.

Ocean travel is now temporarily enabled for the next few releases. In the future, you’ll  need ships or similar to travel, but for the time being, you can travel across ocean squares when you’re in the fast travel screen (‘T’). This ensures you can get to all the imporant ziggurats in this release.

Ziggurat rewards have been largely programmed in. Right now, these are either a) secrets, or b) hints towards which ziggurats you can find secrets in. Naturally in the future there will be a far greater variety, but for the time being, 0.3 is focused on locating these items.

Various bugs have been fixed, and various small features added, generally in the direction of clarity and ease of use. A few small things have also been removed as they aren’t fully implemented yet (for instance, the skills menu), to focus on the exploration in this release.

This coming week, I’m going to be focusing on finishing off all the possible puzzle generation. There’s a very large number of components coming together so that the blocks, clues, codewords, puzzles, pressure pads and gates all combine correctly, and ensuring the game places puzzles of the correct difficulty on appropriate floors. Expect easy puzzles at the bases of ziggurats, and ones that pretty much require a pen and pad at the top. I’m also going to be trying to deal with a few more little bugs and features, and generally continue cleaning up 0.3 for release in a month or so. Next week’s blog entry will likely be a tribute to one of my favourite authors, Iain Banks, who died this week, but after that normal service will resume. By the time of the next URR update all aspects of ziggurats should (fingers crossed) be completed, at which point I’ll give a little postmortem on that process, and keep you all updated on finishing things for this release off. See you then, and remember – clues might be hidden anywhere.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All that's missing from the last image is a Nic Cage face.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Forget the game, just sell your procedural art to a museum and drive sport cars the rest of your life!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nifty!

For the record, I like reading things here. I often forget to go looking in other places for information on stuff, but anything posted in a thread I'm following here will get read.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 222