I am constantly using macros, to the point where most of the game is Ctrl + P
- 0 (0%)
I often use macros for typing intensive activities like exploratory mining
- 31 (40.3%)
I learned how to use macros and forgot soon after
- 10 (13%)
Macros? What macros?
- 32 (41.6%)
Macros suck and you suck for using them!
- 4 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How often do you use macros?  (Read 2930 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How often do you use macros?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2011, 01:30:45 pm »

I normally haven't used macros because of some bugs regarding them (For a time i'd play a macro and the screen would flash really fast) but once I (somehow) fixed it I am taking on some megaprojects that I had put off. Building an 80-z-level casting tower would not be tolerable by hand.

EDIT: and also, having to edit out all the junk in the macro so it runs fast is also a deterring factor.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:33:13 pm by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2011, 04:52:24 pm »

The only macro I use with any regularity is an enter-down-repeat one for selecting scads of things in the trade screen. Also I have one recorded for trade agreements in a fort I'm planning on running for a while, but I don't know how well it replays yet.

I used to have an AutoHotKey script for making a full suit of steel armour (more because I forget items than to save on typing), but I haven't got round to replacing it since a hard drive crash. It might actually still be in a backup somewhere, but since I haven't bothered reinstalling AHK...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2011, 04:56:21 am »

As I discovered personality traits/attributes are almost completely unimportant, I prepared embark macro (it is better than profiles, as profile ignores nicknames and is failing when civ is without access to certain stone)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2011, 08:01:44 am »

As I discovered personality traits/attributes are almost completely unimportant, I prepared embark macro (it is better than profiles, as profile ignores nicknames and is failing when civ is without access to certain stone)

Almost but not completely.  Some traits will block levelling up in some skills, ie if you want to start with a manager type dwarf.  As well, it can be nice to have some control over their preferences; an armorsmith who likes steel, for example, and a future expedition leader who does NOT like slade or adamantine etc..     Finally, I have noticed a difference between my high will power/str low fatigue miner who hits legendary almost immediately,  and my weak, tired, get lost in his own bedroom dwarf who is still struggling with mining after a year has gone by.   
Pages: 1 2 [3]