I am constantly using macros, to the point where most of the game is Ctrl + P
- 0 (0%)
I often use macros for typing intensive activities like exploratory mining
- 31 (40.3%)
I learned how to use macros and forgot soon after
- 10 (13%)
Macros? What macros?
- 32 (41.6%)
Macros suck and you suck for using them!
- 4 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How often do you use macros?  (Read 2931 times)

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How often do you use macros?
« on: October 08, 2011, 07:19:43 pm »

I only very recently learned how to use macros, and ever since I have found myself using macros for everything from assigning bedrooms to drawing diagonal designation lines. My question to you is how often you use macros and what you use them for.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How often do you use macros?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:25:19 pm »

Macro? Why would I do that? I might end up with two identical forts, and I do my best to avoid that at all times.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 07:27:24 pm »

Wat is macros?

Seriously though, i had no idea there even were any for DF.

Qirex

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels Post: Interrupted by Beak wolf Predator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 07:34:10 pm »

Yes and no. I never learned how to use quickfort properly, as I found making CSV files in LibreOffice cumbersome, and chromafort seemed to read triple the amount of colors that are actually present in the image. Because of that, I simply do most things regularly.

The main tools that I use most often are within DFhack, digging out an exploratory hallway, stripping the ore using DFvdig, and then bringing it to my forges with DFautodump.
I live in Nigeria. I am not a prince, and I do not need your bank account information to access my fortune. Anyone caught implying otherwise will be !!reprimanded!! .

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 07:36:10 pm »

Adventure mode grinding. Apart from that, designating Nest Boxes to be built because the capital letter is a pain in the arse. Very rarely I will use it to designate a spiral stairway because I hate the monotony of changing z-levels as well. Usually I don't bother with too many z-levels however.

King: Ctrl-R and Ctrl-P. The former records your keystrokes, the latter replays them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 07:45:07 pm »

I use them for mundane tasks, like starting a new fort and assigning a uniform of steel plate armor and spears, or making bedrooms for the 1x1 room bunks of the huddled masses, and especially with trade.  I have 1 for my usual liaison request, because repeating the same request every year gets old, and another for "trade this whole page and scroll it down" so that I can easily sell off a pile of crafts with minimal effort (and keep my damn coffers.  Those are my coffers, you don't get them!).  I sometimes use them for military alerts.  "Ambush, curse them!" "Ctrl-P: Alerts activated and levers pulled, for the third time this year."  Building towers is almost impossible without a good macro, 20 levels of circular shaped pillars is murder on the sanity, or it's Ctrl P and skip the hassle of manual designation.  Before I was using Forman, I would have a macro for "brew 300 drinks" and "make 150 charcoal" and such.

So, I use them a ton, for the monotony.  When it comes to actual design and construction, I piece together my forts on need.  It's just that if my fort needs ANOTHER 20 bedrooms, then I have a macro to work another cell block in.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 07:50:07 pm »

I use them mainly for designating long 20+ z-lvl staircases.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 07:57:20 pm »

I always make my rooms context sensitive for maximum aesthetic appeal. I never, EVER use macros. I know how to use them for fort mode, but I'm still trying to master them for adventure mode.  :-\

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 08:03:55 pm »

Adventure mode win:
Get on the ground, and start sneaking.
Start recording.
Move left.
Move right.
Save that.
Exit game (close window).
Open the macro file under init, and copy-paste the command some 500 times.
Go back into game, on the ground sneaking in a human town, and run the macro.
Go eat lunch, and come back as a legendary ambusher!

Same theory applies to throwing dirt, but not swimming, because chances are you'll get frozen.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 08:05:45 pm »

Adventure mode win:
Start recording.
Move left.
Move right.
Save that.

Same theory applies to throwing dirt, but not swimming, because chances are you'll get frozen.
Yeah, I tried it with throwing and I think the game may have glitched. I ended up with no clothes, and outside the town I was in  :-\

I'll have to give it another shot  :D

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 08:10:13 pm »

Macros are very dumbfire.  If you use one strangely, it's gonna press strange buttons.  So be careful about where your cursor is when you hit it, and watch out for the microsecond delay.  Macros will perform faster than the game can handle, so it can skip commands and that gets messy real fast.  If it gets glitchy, change the delay speed in the init options to something slower.

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 08:12:34 pm »

Adventure mode win:
Start recording.
Move left.
Move right.
Save that.

I always start a character with this for throwing, it only takes a day or two and it gives a much-needed boost to agility. I will try this with sneaking. I try to start my characters in warm areas to do swimming, but it seems to take forever  :( I get so bored of waiting for my char to get drowsy to rest at a house and if I move my cursor off of the window, the macro stops.

... Another thing I noticed is that I can run a macro several times at once, making it much faster and giving me legendary +5 thrower in around 5 minutes
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 08:14:14 pm by JDF117 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 08:18:51 pm »

I'm fairly sure you could do some spam wrestling by grappling a poor elf or something.  Just marco for "grab left leg, release left leg" and watch the stats fly up.  Of course, you'll need them fairly injured first, so you'll have an easy time groping them (because let's be honest).

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 08:50:16 pm »

I'm fairly sure you could do some spam wrestling by grappling a poor elf or something.  Just marco for "grab left leg, release left leg" and watch the stats fly up.  Of course, you'll need them fairly injured first, so you'll have an easy time groping them (because let's be honest).

Wiki talks about that at http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Adventure#How_do_I_increase_my_skills_and_attributes.3F_.28powerleveling.29. You pretty much hit the nail on the head except you generally use small animals instead of elves.

........ew.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 08:58:24 pm »

Depending on how small, it's a stress ball.
Pages: [1] 2 3