I am constantly using macros, to the point where most of the game is Ctrl + P
- 0 (0%)
I often use macros for typing intensive activities like exploratory mining
- 31 (40.3%)
I learned how to use macros and forgot soon after
- 10 (13%)
Macros? What macros?
- 32 (41.6%)
Macros suck and you suck for using them!
- 4 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How often do you use macros?  (Read 2929 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: How often do you use macros?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 09:14:48 pm »

I use them for laying out/placing:

apartments/rooms
beds for apartments
doors for apartments
making ownable bedrooms out of non-owned rooms

I haven't found a need to macro anything else, those are just the repetitive tasks that I end up doing with every fort, so ... easier to macro them.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 09:48:09 pm »

I ended up with no clothes, and outside the town I was in  :-\

Sounds like stories from my Navy days.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 10:15:40 pm »

Eh. I prefer to do everything by hand, it feels more like I'm actually "playing", instead of just watching.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 10:22:19 pm »

Depending on how small, it's a stress ball.

Lol.

Yeah, I tried it with throwing and I think the game may have glitched. I ended up with no clothes, and outside the town I was in  :-\

I'll have to give it another shot  :D

Once I somehow ended with my shoes/socks off. I normally try to get sandwiched between walls before doing a long string of macros in case I did something wrong while typing it in.

Edit:
Of course, the most fun with adventure mode is still to make a throwaway fort with some steel/candy armor and a danger room.  Macro . repeatedly to just stand on the spikes and enjoy the free level up!  Proceed butcher the world~

You post this, and I post a topic on the same thing the next day with similar wording without having even read this. O.o
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:15:22 pm by JDF117 »

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 10:26:57 pm »

Strictly speaking elves have stress balls too.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 10:27:58 pm »

Of course, the most fun with adventure mode is still to make a throwaway fort with some steel/candy armor and a danger room.  Macro . repeatedly to just stand on the spikes and enjoy the free level up!  Proceed butcher the world~

HA!

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 08:56:26 pm »

I use them mainly for designating long 20+ z-lvl staircases.

I used to do that, then I found this trick: You can use the mouse to designate. just hold down left click and Z-down till you get to the level. You'll designate those staircases in seconds.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 09:05:38 pm »

*kneeslap*

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 01:32:31 pm »

I'm learning to use macros for repetitive tasks. Like my cellblock housing. 80 dwarves with minimal amnemities. Done. And I use it for certain favored trap layouts that take a long long long long time designate by hand. Instead of a one tile walkway across a 10 lvl pit, I use a checkerboard. It makes pathing across the area easier and prevents bunching up by dwarves or caravans while remaining just as lethal. The only way to get a checkerboard is to channel it out...piece by painful piece.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 02:35:13 pm »

I was going to use macros for digging a magma pump stack, but I discovered that DF doesn't seem to recognize the ctrl key on either of my linux machines. None of the ctrl keys do anything, so macros are kinda hard to use. I guess I could change their keymaps.

I did open a bug for it: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4905

Can anyone with a linux system get their ctrl key to work?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 03:49:00 pm »

I've finally learned quickfort and that was great, now my fort is like this: 'welcome UristMcUselessMigrant 144 ! Please proceed to a cell I mean room 64 sector C and prepare yourself for work, you should fulfill order for 30 cloth bags by next week. Be aware that failing that would be considered treachery and punished by magmafication'
Seriously, that stuff saves a lot of time and you can even prepare your designations without pausing your fort. And some preloaded blueprints there are magnificent. As for chromafort, Paint isn't good for creating those bmp's and last time I tried to use it, I got broken SCV file.
I must admit I've never thought of using macros for trade agreements, silly me.
Considering macros usage in general, for me the game isn't about manually designating a luxurious room for every Urist, it's about firing balista arrows at whales and with that there's still plenty of handwork.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 04:12:01 pm »

I would probably use them for mining or stair building, But I'm too dumb to use them anyway :p.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 04:36:22 pm »

It sounds like people are using multiple macros. How do you do that? Thus far I've just used one at a time, because when I hit ctrl-r again it wipes the old one.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 04:37:37 pm »

ctrl s to save it, with a name.  ctrl l (lower L) to load a previously saved macro.  DF\init\macros contains a file for each saved macro.

HarryFromMarydelDE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2011, 12:27:31 pm »

I was going to use macros for digging a magma pump stack, but I discovered that DF doesn't seem to recognize the ctrl key on either of my linux machines. None of the ctrl keys do anything, so macros are kinda hard to use. I guess I could change their keymaps.

I did open a bug for it: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4905

Can anyone with a linux system get their ctrl key to work?

I think I may have figured out the problem (if you are using a non-QWERTY keymap). Please see my comment on your bug.

-Harry
Pages: 1 [2] 3