Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Breeding unicorns  (Read 7704 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Breeding unicorns
« on: October 05, 2011, 07:11:54 pm »

How effective do you think that is? Rolling up an embark and I notice this civ has access to unicorns (modded game to make it so you don't need a DM to tame exotics).
Now from prior experience, I know I can't actually request them from the caravans for some reason, and it WILL mean an extremely low supply start but... unicorns! I'm just unsure if they'll breed well at all, or if it's going to be one of those things where I lock them away for decades and maybe have three, instead of two.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding unicorns
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:14:40 pm »

If you made them [PET] then it should be fine.  They're not terrible fighters, that horn has an attack flag last I checked, but they're not quite the terror of the past (as so often things get nerfed).  Valuable bones and such though, I believe.  Not bad to shoot thousand dollar bullets at your foe to announce "We are Dwarves" to the world.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:16:29 pm »

If you made them [PET] then it should be fine.  They're not terrible fighters, that horn has an attack flag last I checked, but they're not quite the terror of the past (as so often things get nerfed).  Valuable bones and such though, I believe.  Not bad to shoot thousand dollar bullets at your foe to announce "We are Dwarves" to the world.

I haven't had the fun of experiencing an angry unicorn, but the wiki does mention their horns are pretty lethal. Probably because it acts like a spear I imagine.
I'm just worried they might breed far too slow to actually be worth breeding. I don't mind blowing a bunch of my starting dorfbux on silly things (cave crocs are pretty fun) but I also don't like just wasting them on something that won't have some kind of payment.

One that preferably won't take a few dozen years.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 07:20:11 pm »

If all else fails, just add [CAN_LEARN] and have a unicorn mayor.  Sounds fair to me.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 07:23:01 pm »

If all else fails, just add [CAN_LEARN] and have a unicorn mayor.  Sounds fair to me.
Mayor Celestia i mean... my little pony mayors how cute.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 07:24:08 pm »

I'd rather Luna~

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:42:42 pm »

Mayor Celestia i mean... my little pony mayors how cute.
There's a mod for that.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 09:12:19 pm »

Huh. This embark is a bit... strange. I'm not getting the usual "<season> has arrived" messages. Instead I'm getting "<season> has arrived on the calendar". I just got an announcement about the dry season too. I've never seen this before, is this normal?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 09:38:36 pm »

Happens a lot in forests or jungles or swamps, something like that.  Certain biomes don't have conventional four seasons, instead having a wet and dry season, and DF reflects this.  There's info on the wiki somewhere about the calendar.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 10:18:25 pm »

i think it's mostly warmer climates that get wet/dry seasons (lots of times, my embarks that have savannas will get that, complete with most of the grass turning yellow immediately...or green with tons upon tons of rain. don't remember if the plain rainforest embarks get it or not)

as for the unicorns, they breed really fast, once you get at least a single male-female pair. sometimes a little too fast, if you're aiming for anything but butchering them. i'd modded my unicorns (and pegasi...pegasoi...whichever is supposed to be the proper plural) to be milkable. figured that was a good reason to have breeding stock of them, and just have the dwarves butcher and snack on the extra males. usually my starter unicorn pair outdoes my starter sheep/alpaca pairs

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 10:23:27 pm »

i think it's mostly warmer climates that get wet/dry seasons (lots of times, my embarks that have savannas will get that, complete with most of the grass turning yellow immediately...or green with tons upon tons of rain. don't remember if the plain rainforest embarks get it or not)

as for the unicorns, they breed really fast, once you get at least a single male-female pair. sometimes a little too fast, if you're aiming for anything but butchering them. i'd modded my unicorns (and pegasi...pegasoi...whichever is supposed to be the proper plural) to be milkable. figured that was a good reason to have breeding stock of them, and just have the dwarves butcher and snack on the extra males. usually my starter unicorn pair outdoes my starter sheep/alpaca pairs

Really? Well they haven't started cranking out foals for me yet but I'll have to see... I've been keeping a close eye on my surroundings. There are elephants here. ELEPHANTS.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 10:36:42 pm »

(and pegasi...pegasoi...whichever is supposed to be the proper plural)
"pegasus ponies"

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 10:47:22 pm »

oh, silly girlinhat, i meant the ones elf-fondling human made that are included in the legends of forlorn realms mod, not pony-mods

as for your unicorns, krisslanza, i'd modified mine so long ago that i can't remember if they came with these tags or not. you prob'ly wanna check their raws (in creature standard, but you likely knew that already) and see if they have tags such as [CHILD:1][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:unicorn foal:unicorn foals] thrown in somewhere (between attack flags and the diurnal tag for me, but don't remember if i put it there or not) and, in the female caste, the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag, as well, unless you want them spewing out lots of foals. i think standard, without that tag, is litters of up to 5 at a time. at least, that's what my various spiders tell me

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 10:50:28 pm »

Hmmmm, yeah it's all there. And whoa, didn't know they were grazers. That's good to know. I hate finding out the hard way (i.e. getting a good dining room set up and wondering why all the animals are starving...)

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 10:52:37 pm »

oh, silly girlinhat, i meant the ones elf-fondling human made that are included in the legends of forlorn realms mod, not pony-mods

as for your unicorns, krisslanza, i'd modified mine so long ago that i can't remember if they came with these tags or not. you prob'ly wanna check their raws (in creature standard, but you likely knew that already) and see if they have tags such as [CHILD:1][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:unicorn foal:unicorn foals] thrown in somewhere (between attack flags and the diurnal tag for me, but don't remember if i put it there or not) and, in the female caste, the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag, as well, unless you want them spewing out lots of foals. i think standard, without that tag, is litters of up to 5 at a time. at least, that's what my various spiders tell me

Oooh, I never knew that they got that popular! I mean, obviously they're free to use, but being part of of a mod is a pretty big honor for a newbie coder.

Now that I think about it, what if I did know about this? What if I actually totally forgot that I gave the ok or something? That would just be absolutely...totally like me, actually.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:11:40 pm by ASCIt »
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4