Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Breeding unicorns  (Read 7689 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding unicorns
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 01:23:36 pm »

![PET]! is probably where someone modded it (you said LNP?) and wanted to differentiate between natural [PET] and modded ![PET]!  In practice, the raws ignore things outside of brackets, and ignore invalid tags that are in brackets, so it makes no difference.
Yeah I have LNP for ease of modding in things.
Alright, just checking. Now I can finally get these darn unicorns to breed, and make my army of unicorns! If I could only ride them into battle. That'd be awesome.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 01:25:38 pm »

I have now discovered why the unicorns aren't breeding. I noticed they weren't showing up in the animals tab, so I checked the raws.

They don't have the [PET] tag by default. So I guess the game isn't registering them as pets, even if they're Tamed. Is this something I can edit, or will it require a re-gen?

@i2amroy:
Not sure if that magma idea works. At least, I mean that idea WORKS but you still need pump stacks. That or you relocate all your forges to be about 50 levels down. And as I do aboveground settlements (it gives me something to use all that darn stone on) that would be a lot of pump stacks.
You should be able to add the [PET] tag to your current world and not have any problems with it.

Also on the magma idea if you really want to get magma all of the way up quickly you might want to check out Magma Pistons. Sure they are a little more complicated to understand and they only move a set amount of magma per piston use, but once they require much less set up work and can move magma much faster then pump stacks without all of the hideous lag. And as long as you aren't actively using up the magma for defense purposes or something like that then having a small reservoir of magma to run your buildings is all that you will ever need anyways.

Edit: Woah this thread is active! In the time it took me to type my response 3-4 people posted! Crazy!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 01:30:15 pm »

I have now discovered why the unicorns aren't breeding. I noticed they weren't showing up in the animals tab, so I checked the raws.

They don't have the [PET] tag by default. So I guess the game isn't registering them as pets, even if they're Tamed. Is this something I can edit, or will it require a re-gen?

@i2amroy:
Not sure if that magma idea works. At least, I mean that idea WORKS but you still need pump stacks. That or you relocate all your forges to be about 50 levels down. And as I do aboveground settlements (it gives me something to use all that darn stone on) that would be a lot of pump stacks.
You should be able to add the [PET] tag to your current world and not have any problems with it.

Also on the magma idea if you really want to get magma all of the way up quickly you might want to check out Magma Pistons. Sure they are a little more complicated to understand and they only move a set amount of magma per piston use, but once they require much less set up work and can move magma much faster then pump stacks without all of the hideous lag. And as long as you aren't actively using up the magma for defense purposes or something like that then having a small reservoir of magma to run your buildings is all that you will ever need anyways.

Edit: Woah this thread is active! In the time it took me to type my response 3-4 people posted! Crazy!

Yeah I've looked up the article for magma pistons but it just confuses me. I'm not  very good at the complex workings of DF, considering my longest fortress was maybe four or five years. Which I abandoned because it never got attacked or sieged and was dull. The ones that I don't abandon tend to get killed in the second or third year by goblins.

Mainly because I get caught up in building design and layout, then forget to actually get a decent military going. And I forget to wall it off until too late.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 01:35:46 pm »

@i2amroy:

those 50 levels are just 50 steps down 50 flights of stairs.  Or the equiviliant of taking 50 steps to the east or west.  While it's a longer walk to haul materials down there, it isn't uncommon to spread out over 50 spaces wide on a single z level.  Going 50 steps down isn't that much of difference.  some of the most effecient forts take advantage of this to minimize distance traveled and limit steps traveled.  Once you get familiar with hot spots and using the PF keys to set them up, you no longer have to Scroll down 50 times to get there either, just press the associated PF key you have setup and it will warp the camera there. 

** 50 steps is assuming you build straight down and the lava is 50 z levels below the surface.  If you hit caverns and take detours it will be a bit longer.  My point still stands though, 50 steps up stairs, down stairs, or east/west/north/south are all equiviliant.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 01:38:22 pm »

I get caught up in building design as well sometimes, and just a small suggestion here. If you incorporate like 2-5 Goblin Grinders into your entrance then your fort become mostly impenetrable, with all you needing being a small handful of dwarves to mop up any wounded goblins that are fast enough to make it out. And if the goblins bring along trolls then the worst that can happen is that the trolls take out the entrance and wall it off for you without you needing to do anything. As a bonus the design is relatively simple simply consisting of a straight corridor with traps and two floor hatches at the ends.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 01:54:42 pm »

I get caught up in building design as well sometimes, and just a small suggestion here. If you incorporate like 2-5 Goblin Grinders into your entrance then your fort become mostly impenetrable, with all you needing being a small handful of dwarves to mop up any wounded goblins that are fast enough to make it out. And if the goblins bring along trolls then the worst that can happen is that the trolls take out the entrance and wall it off for you without you needing to do anything. As a bonus the design is relatively simple simply consisting of a straight corridor with traps and two floor hatches at the ends.

I think I'll only use cage traps personally. While traps sound fun and all, I would prefer to have to remember to train up a badass militia. Or at least watch my fortress descend into bloodshed and death. Like that time Goblin Lashers showed up.

What was the preferred modding to do to make whips not act like lightsabers again?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 02:05:32 pm »

Take the [ATTACK:BLUNT:1:10:lash:lashes:NO_SUB:5000] token under the whip entry and reduce the 5000 to 1500 or 2000ish. That should make them not quite so deadly by reducing their swing speed from 5x the speed of of other weapons to only like 1.5x-2x as fast.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 02:08:48 pm »

I was hoping to find out more about unicorn breeding firsthand with my fortress in a serene shrubland environment, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of them.
All that's happening is my dining hall overflowing with fluffy wambler corpses.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 02:27:20 pm »

I was hoping to find out more about unicorn breeding firsthand with my fortress in a serene shrubland environment, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of them.
All that's happening is my dining hall overflowing with fluffy wambler corpses.

They do tend to show up rather rarely. It's also possible they might be dead perhaps? They are kind of mythological creatures.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 03:15:03 pm »

Form the raws:

[CREATURE:UNICORN]

[GOOD]

[BIOME:FOREST_TAIGA]
   [BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE_FOREST]
   [BIOME:ANY_TROPICAL_FOREST]
   [BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TROPICAL]
   [BENIGN]

So they can be found in serene shrublands.

However, they don't have a FREQUENCY tag, which tells how often they should be found.  I think the default FREQUENCY is 50%, which would mean that they'd only be found in 50% of biomes that can have them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 03:37:23 pm »

Form the raws:

[CREATURE:UNICORN]

[GOOD]

[BIOME:FOREST_TAIGA]
   [BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE_FOREST]
   [BIOME:ANY_TROPICAL_FOREST]
   [BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TROPICAL]
   [BENIGN]

So they can be found in serene shrublands.

However, they don't have a FREQUENCY tag, which tells how often they should be found.  I think the default FREQUENCY is 50%, which would mean that they'd only be found in 50% of biomes that can have them.

From the magmawiki; FREQUENCY: Determines the time between creature spawns in Fortress Mode. Higher is more occurrences per time unit. Creatures without a frequency statement default to 50. Almost all others have either [FREQUENCY:5] or [FREQUENCY:100]. Not to be confused with POP_RATIO.

So they are still highly likely to occur in any applicable biomes. I do understand that not all biomes contain all species capable of inhabiting them, but one would expect that unicorns would be very common because not many creatures exist in serene biomes (completely neutral creatures can appear anywhere, and other [GOOD] creatures can appear in these serene biomes, but there are quite a few creatures that appear only in savage biomes.)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 03:39:19 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 03:45:34 pm »

From the magmawiki; FREQUENCY: Determines the time between creature spawns in Fortress Mode. Higher is more occurrences per time unit.

Unless someone has a direct quote from Toady confirming it, I dispute that interpretation of the FREQUENCY tag.  It does not match with my experiments, in which creatures seem to be more likely to occur per biome the higher their FREQUENCY tag is.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 04:33:36 pm »

Aren't [GOOD] and [EVIL] tags pretty much broken right now? Perhaps it's why they don't show up. That's just my out of the rear talking though...

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 04:47:24 pm »

Aren't [GOOD] and [EVIL] tags pretty much broken right now? Perhaps it's why they don't show up. That's just my out of the rear talking though...

It's only broken for plants I think. Silver Barbs and Sunberries never appear.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 07:23:30 pm »

mhmm, it does seem to be only the plants. i usually see unicorns, satyr, and pegasoi wandering around in certain embarks. although, the plant thing still irks me, i mean, an attempt to get sun berries and sliver barbs (and whip vines) in one embark is why i even started my triple biome setups i always do now

as for the plural of pegasus, yeah, if we're going english it's most likely pegasi, but it was originally a greek word, and i think their pluraling ended in 'oi' for it. but that's just something i remember reading, prob'ly in these forums, even. or we could just join them to the whole 'octopi/octopuses debate that is still going on in the wider world.

also, with the adding [PET] to unicorns, make sure they don't have the [PET_EXOTIC] tag already in somewhere. i'm sure things wouldn't be fun if it had both tags active. again, i've removed all exotics and done so many other minor modifications to most of my animals that i really don't remember exactly what actually starts with what tags... (and, note...if it's at least semi-sentient, if you give it the pet tag, you also want to add noeat and nodrink, if you're planning on pasturing it...i always forget that with each pet-race until a gremlin or satyr or animalman dies of thirst)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4