Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Picks (Foreign)?!  (Read 3187 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Picks (Foreign)?!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 05:21:02 pm »

a single highly skilled axedwarf will wipe out ALL the elves!
Right up until a lucky shot from an elven marksman hits him in the face.
In worldgen, battles are done one on one.  This is why you see Tholtig defeating whole armies, because she's fighting one elf at a time, and she's individually better than any single enemy.  Worldgen battles don't allow for ganging up.  Thus, if an army arc battle is the same, one danger room and a steel axe, and you can wipe out the elves!

What if one of those god-blessed elven children somehow knocks out the superdwarf and then rips it to shreds? That kind of stuff happens sometime.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 05:54:15 pm »

In worldgen, battles are done one on one.  This is why you see Tholtig defeating whole armies, because she's fighting one elf at a time, and she's individually better than any single enemy.  Worldgen battles don't allow for ganging up.  Thus, if an army arc battle is the same, one danger room and a steel axe, and you can wipe out the elves!
Give the detailed treatment Toady is giving werewolves and zombies right now, I have a hunch he'll be making a few changes to how that works.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 05:57:45 pm »

That they are doing it "over there" and not in my fort.

Then with the army arc, I think, we can go over there. And not come back 'till it's over over there.

Namely, either enslaving or eradicating everything with liberal application of burning
You guys all know what the end result is going to be with my worlds.

Then there will be the "Spiritual" realms added. Then I will do my thing IN HELL

What was that Khorne? Torture for all eternity? WELL THEN YOU BURN
MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Fixed that for you.
I was implying for added cleverness  :P

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 06:21:22 pm »

Of course picks are foreign; no dwarven product could ever by this effective! My guess is a lone axe-wielding superdwarf skinned a demon and ate him to steal his knowledge; the knowledge of the ever mighty pick!

Why? So he could fight more demons.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 08:50:18 pm »

Give the detailed treatment Toady is giving werewolves and zombies right now, I have a hunch he'll be making a few changes to how that works.
Consult DF talks, also consult his ToDo list when he was cleaning up DF2010 - battle formations, regimental tactical maneuveurs, competence of the commander... by the time we send off soldiers we'll need to give the danger-room equivalent of military education to the officers and commanders who will lead our supersoldier dwarves. Actually, given most of our soldiers will be recruited from the hill dwarf settlements, the dwarves we train will probably be crack commandos and officers.

But the real question is: can we also send off mobile siege weapons with our soldiers? Or at least, tamed war beasts?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 11:06:38 am »

During Army Arc, I would expect that danger rooms gets severely nerfed.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 02:45:05 pm »

During Army Arc, I would expect that danger rooms gets severely nerfed.
They'll be made with Nerf(tm) spears?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

AiresPenlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 02:52:09 pm »

Wow... I leave the post for scarcely a day and it explodes!

I've gone ahead with equipping "foreign" picks, and they're working just fine. Thanks for the information.
Learning how to do this means that I'll never be caught by an ambush without a military again  :D

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 03:01:23 pm »

On my current embark, my starting seven were all part miner and each had their own pick. So far it has been a beautiful thing.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 04:58:14 pm »

That they are doing it "over there" and not in my fort.

Then with the army arc, I think, we can go over there. And not come back 'till it's over over there.

Namely, either enslaving or eradicating everything with liberal application of burning
You guys all know what the end result is going to be with my worlds.

Then there will be the "Spiritual" realms added. Then I will do my thing IN HELL

What was that Khorne? Torture for all eternity? WELL THEN YOU BURN
MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Fixed that for you.
I was implying for added cleverness  :P
Oooooh...

That is this "cleverness" you speak of?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 06:07:26 pm »

Of course picks are foreign; no dwarven product could ever by this effective! My guess is a lone axe-wielding superdwarf skinned a demon and ate him to steal his knowledge; the knowledge of the ever mighty pick!

Why? So he could fight more demons.
Impossible. If demons knew how to make picks, they would have escaped hell long ago and we would be playing Demon Fortress. Obviously, the knowledge of making picks was handed down by the gods to the dwarves, and regular trading with the humans allowed the knowledge to pass to them.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 06:08:37 pm »

Well, there goes my hope of giving legends mode the ability to reenact historical battles. Imagine seeing one of Tholtigs battles if it was like that.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 06:21:24 pm »

Speaking of the army arc, I so can't wait until I can build siege weapons for offensive purposes.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 06:22:05 pm »

Well, there goes my hope of giving legends mode the ability to reenact historical battles. Imagine seeing one of Tholtigs battles if it was like that.
Legends mode will be revamped come Army Arc. The current worldgen battles of 1v1 queueing will be replaced with proper battles with flanking, pincers and such tactical detail.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 06:23:40 pm »

Or in the case of dwarves, mad berserker charge if they don't fix the AI.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Pages: 1 [2] 3