Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best domestic animal?  (Read 4609 times)

JBlak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Game.
    • View Profile
Best domestic animal?
« on: September 30, 2011, 12:24:25 am »

Post your opinions.

In my opinion the goose is, because it only takes 1 year to mature and give decent meat.
Shimbilagak

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Best domestic animal?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 12:58:38 am »

I'm gonna have to go with the Grizzly bear. Though it takes 2 years to mature it's food per year total is only slightly under the average goose's (19 to 20ish, counting saving goose eggs for reproduction) yet they also give almost 3x as many bones as geese and they can be trained to form ravenous hordes for fortress defense that can easily take down goblin ambushes.

Edit: Plus they aren't grazers, so no extra management is needed short of assigning war grizzlies to your dwarves.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 02:53:39 am by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 01:05:32 am »

I find the Alpaca is quite good. It gives milk, yarn, and slaughters nicely. If only it lay eggs.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 01:07:05 am »

For me, it's the mooshroom.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 01:16:57 am »

I find the Alpaca is quite good. It gives milk, yarn, and slaughters nicely. If only it lay eggs.

Yeah, but sheep do the same for less food.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 01:24:52 am »

I'm all for the Grizzly Bear.  I've finally got a breeding pair and... well, my war dogs will soon be obsolete.  Plus, if you manage to get them early, they are MUCH less of an fps-annihilating population-explosion risk: I can't butcher puppies fast enough!  And a bearsplosion would be at least as profitable to harvest if it DID occur.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 02:01:40 am »

In my opinion the goose is, because it only takes 1 year to mature and give decent meat.

Peafowl are better. As much meat, significantly more eggs.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 02:12:41 am »

Giant eagles are better war animals than grizzly bears, I don't know what the rest of you are thinking about. They also make great pets due to eggs and whatnot.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 02:22:53 am »

giant Eagles can't be tamed without a Dungeon Master, so you're relying on importing a pre-tamed breeding pair from the elves.  Though you'll usually be gettign grizzlies the same way, at least you *can* get them for yourself in the right biome.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 02:41:16 am »

giant Eagles can't be tamed without a Dungeon Master, so you're relying on importing a pre-tamed breeding pair from the elves.  Though you'll usually be gettign grizzlies the same way, at least you *can* get them for yourself in the right biome.

True, but with mods you can un-break the dungeon master. I don't consider it cheating, merely a bugfix.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 04:27:10 pm »

True, but with mods you can un-break the dungeon master

No, you can't. Even with the mods, the dungeon master doesn't really work.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2036

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 04:30:53 pm »

Maybe not, but messing about in the raws can make the dungeon master unnecessary.

For what it's worth, I loved my war elephants, war unicorns, war giant eagle, war giant tiger and war hoary marmots. I like Alpaca's because they're useful and adorable. I've embarked with a pair of hens a few times as well, to get an early egg-production.

I generally tend to embark with a breeding pair of dogs as well, mainly as the first line of defence against badgers, macaques and other nuisances.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 04:34:38 pm »

Post your opinions.

I typically go with various fowl as well for the eggs, quick maturity, and quick reproduction. Recently though I've decided to do away with domesticated animals and simply farm with a bit of hunting on the side as a way to train marksdwarves.

Must mod in cow covered with plump helmets...

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 04:36:12 pm »

Yeah, but sheep do the same for less food.
They're also cheaper than Alpacas at embark: 101 per Alpaca, 51 per Sheep.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 04:41:52 pm »

Must mod in cow covered with plump helmets...

Well, if you must, let's give you a few solutions, shall we?

First, you may want to make the cow drop plump helmets when killed;
Second, you may want to make the cow grow some kind of wool that is edible after shearing, you'll have to deal with +cow wool trousers+ and other silly things if you do so;
And thirdly, you may want to make a cow caste that reproduces by eggs, then turn the eggs into plump helmets.

Hope that helps.

And back on topic - I, myself, use cats as my breeders. There's a bit of Fun involved if they start getting adopted, I know, but they reproduce fast enough to make up even for the little meat they give. Plus, I get to enjoy the many wonders caused by a cat eating a fire snake.
Pages: [1] 2