Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best domestic animal?  (Read 4607 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best domestic animal?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 05:12:14 pm »

Cave crocodiles, when you mod the game to not need a DM. They lay a looooot of eggs.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 06:24:58 pm »

Without relying on imports - dogs, I like to embark with quite a few of them. Most will be eaten, the male with the most desirable traits and a good number of bitches are retained as pets OR war dogs.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 09:11:02 pm »

Sheep have a good meat to grass ratio, are milkable, and produce wool, and are availiable on embark. A decent fort domestic animal for most purposes.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 09:19:32 pm »

On my longest lasting fort to date? Dragons.  :P

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 09:38:19 pm »

Any type of gator or croc, if I can get my hands on a few. Otherwise it's usually some sort of fowl.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 10:04:30 pm »

Modded GCS are your friends. No eggs, no milk or wool, but so nice to start a silk farm. Unmodded alpacas are best, wool meat and milk for the wunnerful cheese
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 10:26:55 pm »

Sea serpents.

Catching and breeding them taught me how to drain oceans.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 04:19:11 am »

I did write a huge reply. Then it disappeared. We can all be thankful.

The answer is dogs. Dogs are the best animal.
It's a game. Have fun.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 04:35:58 am »

Post your opinions.

In my opinion the goose is, because it only takes 1 year to mature and give decent meat.

I typically go with various fowl as well for the eggs, quick maturity, and quick reproduction. Recently though I've decided to do away with domesticated animals and simply farm with a bit of hunting on the side as a way to train marksdwarves.

For me, it's the mooshroom.

Must mod in cow covered with plump helmets...

Mooshrooms.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 05:05:33 am »

Bears, eagles, crocs etc. aren't domestic animals. Tameable yes, domestic no. For actual domestic animals, sheep and peafowl are my favourites -- sheep because are cheap and versatile, peafowl because they mature quickly and are quite productive.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 09:33:05 am »

Bears, eagles, crocs etc. aren't domestic animals. Tameable yes, domestic no. For actual domestic animals, sheep and peafowl are my favourites -- sheep because are cheap and versatile, peafowl because they mature quickly and are quite productive.

With that criteria (common domestic), I have to hand it to cats.  I *hate* grazers and haven't managed nest boxes, so it really comes down to cats and dogs.  War Dogs are eclipsed by the stranger beasts, but cats keep my fortress clean of bad-thought causing vermin and apparently their tallow tastes great when expertly minced.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 02:42:42 pm »

I always take dogs and sheep on my embarks although I never actually bother to shear/milk/train them.
I just butcher 20 or 30 beasts every once in a while.

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 03:40:12 pm »

Saltwater crocodiles. Up to 70 eggs per clutch and quite valuable. Can also be used for defense. You just stick them in a pasture somewhere where the goblins are likely to come through.
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.
Pages: 1 [2]