Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 177098 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2011, 01:46:58 am »

Please give me a status update on our social miner, Nix. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2011, 07:53:58 am »

This looks great! Keep up the good work!

My suggestion: After you have the bridge built, move your fortress to the center of it and drain the ocean a little so you can get down past the water!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2011, 11:24:11 am »

I hate huge migrant waves too. For one, I'm usually not prepared for 20-30 new migrants.
Secondly, I have to think up nicknames/titles for all these brand new people :P

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2011, 06:48:14 pm »

((Nix is fine. He hasn't drowned lately, and he and Turk are lovers. He really is quite the social fellow.

Also, this just happened.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wasn't expecting that to happen. I don't even know what to do about that.

An actual post will come when I figure things out.))

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2011, 07:59:50 pm »

I just want to say that I am following this epic excursion with moustache-twirling enthusiasm and belly-shaking laughter. Or possibly the other way around. Possibly not.

At any rate, carry on! Pip pip, good show and all that.
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2011, 08:58:17 pm »

Like it so far. I have a wife eh? And on the note of Davy Jones, tentacle demons are no more. Also, update on me?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2011, 05:28:32 am »

Also, this just happened.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wasn't expecting that to happen. I don't even know what to do about that.
Ho ho, that's how I owned the Lead Architect position. Now I have carte blanche on any engineering project! Such an artful plan!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2011, 10:17:00 am »

I've done this project before. From experience I can tell you that tunnels under an ocean behave oddly when you abandon the site and try to revisit it in adventure mode. It seems that tiles marked as ocean create water tiles down an infinite distance. So, that underground tunnel will be flooded no matter how you build it or seal it. To compensate, what I did was design one that was self-draining. Essentially, I built it into the ceiling of the first cavern layer and had grates installed every few tiles on the side. The water tiles then flow away leaving a damp but passable tunnel for an adventurer to cross.

Building a bridge above the ocean doesn't have these problems and acts as you would expect a bridge to.

Another unusual side effect is that even if you don't complete the bridge those tiles you embarked on count as a fortress.
So, if that island was cut off from all trade and invasions,
then you made that really long embark and abandoned it without finishing the bridge/tunnel,
if you then make another embark on that island you will see that the site now has access to the mainland,
somehow enemies and traders are able to travel through your old fortress area by teleporting across the ocean.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2011, 11:05:13 am »

((since people are asking for updates on individual dwarfs, I decided to do an update on everyone! It may have been a mistake, and I don't know if this will make sense))

Notes from Around the Fortress: Spring – Summer 192

Derm was on patrol. He usually was, because damn it, someone had to be. Aban had become too damn lax since arriving on the island.  The two new recruits had the right idea, he’d spotted them out hunting the huge gray monsters called “elephants”. Oh, they looked peaceful enough, but he was sure it was an act. He’d heard stories.

Something was moving up ahead, in among the palm trees. Derm, the Soulchopper readied his axe. This was Nightmare Island. There could be anything up there; walruses, caterpillars, monarch butterflies… anything!

Then he saw them. A small caravan of the bastards, singing and laughing as they waltzed right up to the trade depot, like they owned the place. Elves.

It was worse than anything he could have expected.

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties, 9th of Hematite, 192:

Turk and Nix married today! Not something I was expecting (I’m not really the romantic type, so I didn’t notice they were “together”. Were there sidelong glances in the corridor? Gifts of sweet pods and frog lung? I haven’t the slightest.) Anyways, we all gathered in the main hall, and they exchanged gifts in the traditional way. Turk gave Nix a very nice gold goblet she’d crafted, and he gave her a two ton block of limestone he’d dug out. Well, he is a miner. That block is still sitting there, actually. I should tell them to do something with it. After I deal with these elves. Derm, believe it or not, wanted to kill them! I told him in no uncertain terms that we don't kill people who come to trade with us. Sheesh. Also I have to meet with Gar for some reason. Probably has some new plan for the bridge. He's ok, but that's all he seems to go on about. Anyways.

One week later:

“So, you and the expedition leader are married now? Didn’t see that one coming. It’s practically the season of weddings! Was she surprised?” Mormota and Gar were talking together in Oceanbridge’s bar, which consisted of a bunch of chairs stood haphazardly in the farm chamber.

Gar shrugged. “Yeah, well. Aban’s not that bad.” He drank the last of his rum, and then looked to the barrel set next to him. It was empty, so he shrugged again. “Besides, I’ve got some new plans for the bridge to show her. She might not have gone for these before, but she can’t very well refuse her husband, right? That’d be wrong. Specially since we’ve just been married.”

“Er… I guess. Say, what did she get you for a marriage gift? She’s a bookkeeper by trade, right? I can’t imagine what they would give.” Mormota was just trying to make friendly conversation. Adjusting to this new home was harder than she had expected.

“Ha!” Gar rolled his eyes. “You want a 400 page book that lists everything in this place, she’s the one to see.”

“Oh, that’s nice.”

Gar stood up, and tossed his mug under his chair. “Hell, It doesn’t matter. I’m already Head Architect. Give me a few more months and I’ll own this damn place. Own it.”

Mormota laughed, a bit nervously, and waved as Gar walked away. She then drained her own mug, very quickly.

Summer!

Di, the mad artillerist, had joined the fisherman out on the beach. She was throwing rocks at the squid who swam by, all the while wishing she had a catapult. Now that'd be the way to catch some fish. She'd told the fisher her plan, and he'd looked at her like she was crazy. No one appreciated her.

Mid-Summer:

Karakzon was on a quest. A quest for coal, the one resource that had eluded the fortress thus far. There weren’t many trees left on the surface, and Person and Dodok the glassmaker were constantly fighting over who got to use the small reserves of charcoal. Unfortunately for them, and for his own ears (the furnaces were close to his room, and the shouting was getting unbearable), he’d had no luck. He’d found plenty of gold and iron, some nice fire opals, and whole wagon loads of limestone, but no coal.

He’d been digging for some time, getting happily lost, when he noticed the breeze. “That’s not right,” he muttered, looking around suspiciously. If there was a breeze, that probably meant there was an passage, or even a cavern somewhere. It seemed like it was coming from his left. “A few more pick lengths should do it…” He began to chip away at the rubble.

He didn’t fall screaming to his death when he did reach the cavern. He was proud of that. It was slightly … larger than he had expected. And it was a long, long way down.

((Wasn’t expecting to find the caverns just yet! I hope they won’t utterly destroy my fps!

Big thanks to everyone who has said that they are enjoying this so far. It's good to know.))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2011, 11:07:41 am »

Maybe we could capture and tame the elephants, train them, and use them as war fodder.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2011, 11:10:42 am »

I've done this project before. From experience I can tell you that tunnels under an ocean behave oddly when you abandon the site and try to revisit it in adventure mode. It seems that tiles marked as ocean create water tiles down an infinite distance. So, that underground tunnel will be flooded no matter how you build it or seal it. To compensate, what I did was design one that was self-draining. Essentially, I built it into the ceiling of the first cavern layer and had grates installed every few tiles on the side. The water tiles then flow away leaving a damp but passable tunnel for an adventurer to cross.

Building a bridge above the ocean doesn't have these problems and acts as you would expect a bridge to.

Another unusual side effect is that even if you don't complete the bridge those tiles you embarked on count as a fortress.
So, if that island was cut off from all trade and invasions,
then you made that really long embark and abandoned it without finishing the bridge/tunnel,
if you then make another embark on that island you will see that the site now has access to the mainland,
somehow enemies and traders are able to travel through your old fortress area by teleporting across the ocean.

Interesting to know what will happen if I abandon. Fortunately, I don't intend to do that any time soon.

I've done this before once, as well, and the interesting thing is that, as long as the embark contains a portion of land that has access to all the other civs, the fort gets access to all of them, even if you are on an uninhabited island. Hence the elves. And hopefully other things, soon.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2011, 11:52:47 am »

if your already down to the first cavern layer and with no luck, you need to try above it and around the surrounding rock.
other than that, all you have left to do now is dig to the magma sea and use that.

also: if you plan to uterlise the caverns, please put in an air lock system to stop any forgotten beasts.
i dont want to die from my body melting thank you very much.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2011, 07:01:45 pm »

Oh Nix, I do!
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2011, 07:34:25 pm »

Maybe we could capture and tame the elephants, train them, and use them as war fodder.

They would have to be modded first. Their current GRAZER values are so low that even given an infinite supply of grass, will still starve to death.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2011, 03:03:21 am »

Oh Nix, I do!

I love these dorf relationships, it adds an extremely awkward facet to roleplaying. 

Also, my guy must be really unromantic, I gave you a bloody two ton rock. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 85