Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 176891 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2011, 02:30:15 pm »

Woohoo, it works!

Also, I designed nice appearance of our Bridge! Look:

WWWWWWWWWWW - glass (or gem, if we'll have plenty) windows, constructed over steel floor
~~~~~~~~~~~ - MAGMA!
WWWWWWWWWWW - windows over steel floor again
FFFFFFFFFFF - steel fortificaions
+++++++++++
+++++++++++ - bridge floor
+++++++++++
FFFFFFFFFFF - same as the other side
WWWWWWWWWWW
~~~~~~~~~~~
WWWWWWWWWWW

Fortification block inner windows from trolls' and other destroyers' invasion. Outer windows are subject to flying destroyers, so it's FUN  8)
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2011, 02:46:16 pm »

The second test went much better, and the first blocks were laid down in the floor.

erm... why would you need floor in the aquifer when it's walls that create water?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2011, 03:44:48 pm »

Woohoo, it works!

Also, I designed nice appearance of our Bridge! Look:

WWWWWWWWWWW - glass (or gem, if we'll have plenty) windows, constructed over steel floor
~~~~~~~~~~~ - MAGMA!
WWWWWWWWWWW - windows over steel floor again
FFFFFFFFFFF - steel fortificaions
+++++++++++
+++++++++++ - bridge floor
+++++++++++
FFFFFFFFFFF - same as the other side
WWWWWWWWWWW
~~~~~~~~~~~
WWWWWWWWWWW

Fortification block inner windows from trolls' and other destroyers' invasion. Outer windows are subject to flying destroyers, so it's FUN  8)

AAAAUGH!!!

And by that I mean, yes that looks good.

erm... why would you need floor in the aquifer when it's walls that create water?

That is a very excellent question. The answer is: I got confused. That's how I learn; by making every mistake possible.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2011, 11:18:06 pm »

I nearly fricking drowned.   >:(
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2011, 02:10:20 am »

AAAAUGH!!!

And by that I mean, yes that looks good.

So, down to the magma, coal and iron! Strike the earth!
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 10:30:17 am »

I nearly fricking drowned.   >:(

((Twice, so far. Sorry. I'll try to keep that from happening in the future.

Just a short post, while I work on problems. Today is International Problem Day))

Late Summer – Mid Autumn 191: Nothing Happens, A Timeline
Noted by Dodok, Bored Bonecarver.

20th Galena – Seagulls.

13 Limestone - Large number of puppies born.

14 Limestone - The Great Puppy Feast

8 Sandstone – Remarkably large wave destroys Person’s sand castle. He’d just got the towers right, too.

21 Sandstone – Di finds unusually shaped piece of driftwood. Proudly displays it in main hall, until Aban takes it down.

23 Sandstone – Different seagulls.

25 Sandstone - Warthogs amble along beach. Derm confronts hideous monsters, bellowing war cries. Warthogs indifferent.

2 Timber – The aquifer is finally broken through!

(( YES!! ))

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 10:33:54 am »

Awesome, thanks.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 11:58:34 am »

So, while I was fickin with pumps down there you all didn't made a fuck?!

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 06:57:30 pm »

We need sharks.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 04:50:36 am »

We need sharks.
Captured, tamed and fed by enemies.

Or captured and fed by criminals... have to think of it!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2011, 05:04:44 am »

So, this is the basic design of Shark Execution:

#######################
#~~~~~~~~~#..........<#
#
~~~~~~~~~#.§.§.§.§.§.#
#
~~~~~~~~~#...........###
#
~~~S~~~~~X.§.§.§.§.§.X^~ - to the FREEEEEEEDOOOM!!!
#
~~~~~~~~~#...........###
#
~~~~~~~~~#.§.§.§.§.§.#
#
~~~~~~~~~#...........#
#######################

Left is a pond with shark inside, right is a jail with chains. Criminal is chained, then floodgate is opened, water with shark runs out. After execution is finished, second floodgate is opened, shark runs to the ocean and is recaptured.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:33:12 am by peregarrett »

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2011, 07:41:56 pm »

((Such a sad weekend. My car has gone the way of the dinosaurs. It was the best car, it even had a nickname. I called it "car"))

The Aquifer is Defeated

Gar and his two assistants came bounding up the stairs, Gar himself taking them two at a time. Aban was in her office (well, she was at the chair shoved up against one of the walls in the main hall that she called her office), and she jumped up, surprised as he appeared.

“Break out the rum, break out the beer, because we’ve broken through the aquifer! Come see!”

The news spread quickly through the rest of the fort. Not that hard, as there were still only 17 of them there. But soon those 17 were gathered in a damp, but significantly not soaked wood walled passage. Below them, a stairway led down into granite.

“Well done, Gar.” Aban said. “Now we can finally get to work on the bridge.” She thought for a moment. "I guess we need a lead architect for the project, and so on. Gar, that’s you. Try not to make it, you know, too crazy.”

“Right, boss. Speaking of that, though, I want to show you a plan I came up with for dropping our enemies into a tank filled with vicious sea monsters.”

“Wait, we have enemies?”

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties:

Busy, busy, and getting even busier. With the mines opened up, Nix and Karakzon have got down to digging. They’ve told me that they’ve found native gold and limestone. They were excited about the limestone, and when they told Person and Turk, those two got excited about the limestone, and now all four of them are drunk in the food storeroom. The gold is considered a “nice bonus”. Apparently what we need now is iron.

After that, migrants showed up. Two of them. One’s a bone doctor, then there’s this fellow. Who I guess isn’t a fellow. Seems all right.

All that, and we laid the first blocks in the bridge. It’s not too fancy right now, but just wait.

A Strange Mood

Mormota was still trying to adjust to her new home. When she’d got a message from the queen telling her to “Go visit my lovely new bridge or visit the lovely marvelous new Pit of Horrors”, she’d chosen the bridge. But the bridge didn’t even seem to exist yet, and the dwarfs who were meant to build it were living in a sandy little hole in the ground. All very unsettling. So she was working on some crafts to relax.

So it didn’t help when the bone doctor who’d come along with suddenly jumped in and shouted “THRONECHANTED! My gods, that’s it, it’s brilliant! BRILLIANT, I tell you!”, and threw her bodily out the room, slamming the door behind him.

Several days later he emerged, coated in dirt and holding aloft a small wooden scepter.

It was pretty disappointing, really.

((Still moving slow, I know. I have no time, no time at all.))

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2011, 08:58:29 am »

love how im drunk in the food stockpiles with the guys x)
is it even possible to get a dwarf drunk? i shall have to find out. MORE BEER!
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2011, 06:53:30 pm »

Posting to watch ;)
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2011, 09:19:00 pm »

Excerpts From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties, Winter 191:

Early Winter

We’ve just watched the last of the queen’s merchants leave in their ships (the ships that, again, I did not know we had). Don’t know why she sent merchants, but well, it worked out. We got food and booze, and we sent them back with a few gold goblets that Turk made. She’ll plant sweet pods in them, probably.

Mid Winter

Turk and Person have just shown me a set of steel bars they smelted! So that’s some progress there.We've got some glass blocks and windows too. Things are moving along.

Late Winter

Met Aussie Evil in the corridor today. His eyes were, well, deranged looking, and he was mumbling in some strange language that I’ve never heard before.

One of the most frightening things I’ve seen since we arrived here, let me tell you. I think this is it. Here’s where we find out why it’s called Nightmare Island.

Late Winter, Continued

Never mind, he just made a millstone.

It’s a bit fancy, but it’s still just a millstone. I guess we could crush some grain with it. Evil grain.

Spring is here! I guess that marks one year or so since we came ashore. (After our raft sunk, and we almost drowned. Even though there were ships available. Sorry, do I keep mentioning that?) I’m setting up a small celebration, and maybe another meeting, and… hold on, there’s this infuriating knocking noise coming from the wall. More later.

Aban stood up, put down her pen, and pressed her ear to the wall. Sure enough, she could hear some sort of irregular knocking noise.  “Huh. That’s odd. Hey, Nix!”
Nix happened to be walking by. “Yes?”

“Do you know what’s behind this wall?”

He thought for a bit. “That’s… that’s where we put the bowmaker’s shop, right? Dodok was going to build it. You know, Person’s wife. I haven’t really seen her around lately, actually…”

The two stared at each other, then the wall. “Oh good gods no,” Aban said. The knocking sound was still there, but getting fainter. Nix grimaced, then raised his pick.

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties, 1st of Granite, 192

So we accidentally walled Dodok up in a workshop! How’s that for a wonderful start to the new year. Well, she’s still alive, barely,

and I need a drink. Goodbye!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 85