Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 177106 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2011, 11:41:34 pm »

I'll be following this now. I have to say, this is probably one of the most unique and interesting fort ideas I've seen. I had to look over your embark twice - I thought you were just making a bridge to the edge of a 4x4 embark! Didn't think you were literally going to build a bridge from an island to the mainland.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2011, 03:44:26 am »

That's the professional curse of jewelers and bowmakers  :)

Masons' one is walling themselves at wrong side.
Miners's one is cave-ins and channeling under his feet.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 06:45:23 am »

Cask of Amontillado, anyone? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 06:50:52 am »

Cask of Amontillado, anyone?
Dwarven rum, please. Also, triangle hat, wooden leg, hook and tamed parrot. Yo-ho-ho, and the barrel of rum!
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2011, 07:09:41 am »

Why don't we do that...

Chain a criminal dwarf ( not claimed dorf, of course ), on a wall, with a single torch only inside, then wall him in using the closest thing we have to bricks.  Immediately afterwards, increase alcohol production. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2011, 07:18:59 am »

Why don't we do that...

Chain a criminal dwarf ( not claimed dorf, of course ), on a wall, with a single torch only inside, then wall him in using the closest thing we have to bricks.  Immediately afterwards, increase alcohol production.
Aye!
Build there a coffin, bury there someone, then drop there 15 other dorfs and a single barrel of rum! Dorfs could be armed with scimitars - closest entity to cutlass, I think

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2011, 07:24:19 am »

So, as they go crazy, they'll kill each other with scimitars?  I like it.  Just remember, the guy who survives ( if he or she is still sane ) welcome him/her back into the fort, make him/her the militia captain. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2011, 07:38:38 am »

So, as they go crazy, they'll kill each other with scimitars?  I like it.  Just remember, the guy who survives ( if he or she is still sane ) welcome him/her back into the fort, make him/her the militia captain. 
It could be even more epic
Spoiler: "The Dead Man's Chest" (click to show/hide)

So, first we're building that Dead Man's chest, i.e. square island in the middle of sea, with ramps around it - to help those who fell getting back to the island.
In the middle of island we're making a tunnel where Davy Jones would come from.
And then we drop dorfs and rum and cutlasses. After they are quite unhappy, we open the tunnel and Davy Jones the Tentacle Clown comes to finish them.

Would be nice also to modify their ethic to allow them eating the dead dwarves, but that would give them unhappy thoughts. Don't know if it's possible...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2011, 07:47:46 am »

You're actually going to make an island?

Wow. 

Make sure the pirates all have swordsdwarfship, it'll be more awesome once they all go mad. 

I wonder, are there even any tentacle demons anymore? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2011, 08:06:22 am »

You're actually going to make an island?

Wow. 

Make sure the pirates all have swordsdwarfship, it'll be more awesome once they all go mad. 

I wonder, are there even any tentacle demons anymore?

I never breached HFS, actually... So don't know anything about the demons' types.
But the whole project isn't that hard. As for island, guys there made an hollow undersea construction with a huge amount of pumps, so island is an easy task.

EDIT: We're heavily derailing this thread....
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 08:08:04 am by peregarrett »

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2011, 10:02:36 am »

That's all right, for a moment I thought you were going to demand that I make that thing too. I was about to run screaming into the night. (It's daytime).

I should have gone for a Cask of Amontillado reference, though.

"For the love of god, Urist!"

"Yes, Dodok. For the love of god!"

Anyways, I thought I would put up a quick list of the gods of this civ, because that's all I have the time for right now.

Rakust - Skeletal male dwarf, associated with death.
Steddad the Mountain of Spines - male dwarf, mountains and wealth.
Tholtig - Female dwarf, fortresses.
Atir - male dwarf, night and jewels.
Datan - male dwarf, earth
Bisol Cherishedright - female dwarf, generosity

Nothing to unusual there. Oh well.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2011, 10:07:13 am »

Rakust - Skeletal male dwarf, associated with death.
So, we already have Dead Men Dwarf. So, what about the Chest  :D

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2011, 10:09:01 am »

Such...awesome...derail....

Yeah, will we actually implement any of this? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2011, 02:26:20 pm »

Ah man, I made a legendary thing and it was a possession? Dang it. But at least it has an image of itself on it. That's pretty cool.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:09:18 pm by aussieevil »
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2011, 09:54:32 pm »

Such...awesome...derail....

Yeah, will we actually implement any of this?

((Depends on how much madness I want to put myself through. If we do, it'll be later. Right now it's bridge ahoy.))

Oceanbridge: A Meeting, Late Spring 192

Aban opened her eyes.

Let’s see, she thought. I’m lying in the sand. There's an oddly shaped hat on my head, and I feel like someone just poured molten lead into my stomach and jumped on it... Ah yes, the party. The small party to celebrate one year in Oceanbridge, which had eventually turned into an ecstatic 2 week celebration of… something? That part was hazy. She was sure that they’d come up with some reason to keep things going. Ingish the planter had given birth to a son about halfway through, Aban remembered.

Maybe that had something to do with it? Or maybe it was the new plan that Gar had come up with. She couldn't quite remember what it was. Probably something nightmarish and impossible.

Huh. There appeared to be a… no, two dwarfs standing over her. That probably meant she should stand up, and talk to them. She did, though it took a minute.

She manage a short, "Hello? Have you been helped?" They weren't familiar dwarfs. Oh, gods, please don't say you're migrants, Aban thought. We haven't got space for the people we have. Well, at least she could only see two of them.

“Ah, you must be the overseer of this place! Aban, if I am correct!” The dwarf speaking was far too cheerfully for Aban’s taste. She and her companion were both carrying crossbows, though. Probably best not to be rude.

“Um. Yes. Who are you?”

“My name is Cilob, and this is my associate. You can call him Guy, if you want.”

“Is that his name?”

“Well, I’ve never really been too clear on his name. He’s just the guy. The Heavy Weapons Guy.

He and I led this group of migrants here. Heard this was the place to be.”

“Oh, well… I guess it is? How many are there of you? We could use a couple more people around here, but-“

“Not too many. Thirty, I think. Hope you got room for us. Oh, you've fallen over.” Cilob glanced around, then turned to her companion. "Guy, help our new boss up. I think she's been overcome by joy."

Next: Elves, Elephants, and Eels

((I hate hate hate huge migrant waves. I meant this update to be larger, but it took me an hour just to sort through the little bastards.))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 85