Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51523 times)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #255 on: January 04, 2012, 11:54:18 am »

same here, if I try the sections thing I tend to lose track of where I'm at somehow because it'll get flipped around if I'm not careful. I can do it, but it's just easier to go in rows or collumns, I think.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 04, 2012, 07:23:35 pm »

I made some scale maille a few weeks back:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's an absolute bastard to make lie flat.
That is really nice.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 04, 2012, 10:31:00 pm »

In other news, I'm thinking about getting a belt to carry my pliers and certain rings in conveniently.  First thought is something like this, which looks fair, but I'd adore something more like this here, except that it's on Etsy for like $80 including shipping.  Though it would do fantastic things to my butt, I don't think I can swing that exactly.  I also thought that I might steal mandate my mother's sewing machine and a bolt of denim and see what horror I could stitch together.  Mainly though I'm looking for open, slender pockets, not pouches.

Thoughts?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 05, 2012, 04:01:51 am »

The one from etsy looks fantastic!...
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 05, 2012, 11:49:42 am »

I just carry my shit around in an empty coffee can, but I'm horribly disorganized. All the rings are in separate baggies, though, so they don't get all mixed together. The lid makes a nice, albeit small, work area that's plenty big enough for bracelets and some necklaces as long as I don't go over the top. Doesn't really matter since I work at home camped in front of the tv more often than not.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 05, 2012, 12:10:25 pm »

I got a little tupperware container for my rings, shove it and my pliers into my pocket, and the thing i'm working on in the other pocket. Thats for everyday, waiting in line sorta thing. If im going away, I pack my rings, coils and pliers in tacklebox, and the project in a box.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 05, 2012, 12:13:39 pm »

Thoughts?
Well, my first one was that the girl marketing the pouch in the first link has on more of a jacket than a shirt (;3).
But all in all, the latter looks better and better-made.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 06, 2012, 08:17:02 am »

Turns out there's not a lot of info on the "Byzantine Chain Sheet" (which sounds like a paradox, it's a chain AND a sheet!)  I call it Byzantine Interwoven Sheet because there's also a way that you could do something similar without having it interwoven.

At core, this is two strings of byzantine put together, but they share rings down the center, and thus are interwoven.  This has a very curious effect, as normally Byzantine is a very tight-AR weave, requiring something around 3-3.5 AR to work correctly, but this is using like 5.3 AR and could actually use greater.  I think 5.5 or 5.7 would give slightly different results, due to the way the rings sometimes touch, which would change if the rings were a different size.  When I made the starting chain for this, I was using 3 connector rings, but once built up, 1 connector works fine because the whole thing changes.  It's less about the ring AR and more about the weave shape.  The pure structure of the weave keeps its shape, so larger rings can work more easily due to the different tension that the sheet-style imposes.

End result?  Very thin rings, loose design, a bit more delicate appearance, but still fairly strong.  This makes for a thoroughly glorious weave and I love it.

OH, and this is a work in progress.  It's currently 2 rows wide, but I intend to make it 3.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 06, 2012, 08:18:59 am »

That's cool!
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 06, 2012, 02:27:45 pm »

Byzantine doesn't require a 3ish AR, I've got 5ish aluminum rings that work fine for it. Looks basically like that, but noninterwoven.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 06, 2012, 03:24:04 pm »

Hell, I've got 6.9-7 AR rings I can Byzantine. Just needs a little bit of tension so it doesn't flip out.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 06, 2012, 03:47:26 pm »

..... I see what you did there.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 06, 2012, 04:35:55 pm »

With a little inspiration from this thread and boredom, I decided to make a curtain or maille out of soda pop tabs. Its been coming along nicely. I may post the finished product later on. It's just too bad the aluminium tabs are pretty flimsy.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 06, 2012, 06:41:15 pm »

You can work with like 6 AR on byzantine, but at ~3 it gives a gloriously tight weave that has zero flop, it looks fantastic.  At 4+ AR you get a lot of flopping and may need to nudge rings into position.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #269 on: January 11, 2012, 03:06:08 pm »

Just posting this here because people have been discussing scale work off and on. I just saw this on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/80883852/dungeons-and-dragons-dnd-vanguard

Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)

It looks nice, if a bit gaudy. I can't imagine it costs that much to make for someone used to scale work. I wonder if they get the bags already woven.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33