Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter  (Read 51496 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Proficient Metal Crafter
« Reply #285 on: January 12, 2012, 09:11:14 pm »

Greetings, fellow chainmaillers.
I'm getting some anodized aluminum rings (from TRL), but all my pliers currently have teeth. Any suggestions for toothless pliers? (There are several varieties at that site, and I'm not sure which is most useful.)

The rings I'm looking at are the 18ga, 3/16". These are good for working with, correct? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Also, I'm now thinking "Fifteen Hundred Rings" as a name.  No particular reason.
That seems like a good name. In addition, Google doesn't show anything currently under - or very similar to - that name.

You shouldn't have any problems selling to people who know that your shop exists. All of your craftsdwarfship is of quite fine quality, I must say.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 12, 2012, 10:23:50 pm »

good luck with your etsy, girlinhat! I might open one myself eventually, but I haven't had much time for maille lately, so I'm kind of hesitant to open one since I can't really promise a good turnaround time. I am getting some toothless pliers sometime soon, already have them ordered just waiting for them to arrive (chain nose and bent chain nose). Also, in case anyone is interested, www.maillemarket.com seems to be a pretty legit site dedicated to the buying and selling of chainmail products.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 12, 2012, 11:35:24 pm »

18g 3/16 is a pretty standard size, you'll find it fits the common weaves pretty well.  As for toothless pliers, TRL Brand are good, I think they're like $6 a pair.  They're the ones that look cheap, with the red handles of dipped latex.  That's what I use, and they're pretty great.  Alternatively, if you need to get some heavy duty, like working steel or titanium, and these aren't good enough, you can put electrical tape around the teeth.  Toothless pliers don't always have enough leverage like you want.

I've also got some ring-nose pliers, which come to a point.  These are terrible for big rings, like my 18g 1/4", they simply have no grip on them!  But my 20g 3/32" are great with the ring nose.  I haven't used any bent nose, but they look fun.  The next pliers I'd go to would probably be those German modified ones on TRL, those are made for hard-metal working like steel.  Short grabby and long handles makes for great pull.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 13, 2012, 08:59:52 am »

For 5 bucks you can get a file.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 13, 2012, 03:18:45 pm »

That's for filing off, like, the metal shavings that get left behind on saw-cut rings.  For filing off the teeth of a pair of pliers, you need a proper grinder, the kind that they sharpen axe blades with.  Granted, you could probably get a local hardware store to do that for you.  If they offer blade sharpening then you might convince them to remove the teeth.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 13, 2012, 05:36:41 pm »

My dad used his angle grinder to take the teeth off of my big-ass two-dollar shop pliers, with something smaller it might not be such a great idea though.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2012, 06:19:55 pm »

Well I used a file, but I sharpen knives by hand, so I have a lot of patience.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 13, 2012, 06:35:12 pm »

Alright, thanks for the answers. (You mean the wide-nose pliers, I'm assuming.) I wasn't sure if the basic pliers they sold were good for working with general ring sizes. I had considered finding a way to remove the teeth from some pliers, but the already-toothless pliers sold there are cheaper and more comfortable-looking than anything sold around here.
Those modified Knipex pliers do look really nice. I don't have over $30 to spend on each pair of pliers, though, for what's currently a hobby.

I'm grabbing a large assortment of (mostly) anodized aluminum, to find out what I'm going to want to work with more. Altogether (including the pliers), it comes out to about 2.1lbs; which is a lot for shipping!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 13, 2012, 08:07:14 pm »

Yeah, those are good pliers.  Worth every penny.  You may consider going to the grocery or sporting store and picking up some Ace Bandages or just gauze to wrap around the handles, as the plastic dip isn't very comfortable for long-time use.  I'm personally looking into padded gloves right now though.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 13, 2012, 08:31:24 pm »

The standard ones are out of stock right now, so I'll have to be going with the ergonomic ones; thus, the dipped handle won't be an issue. I'm doubtful of the quality of the ergonomic ones, as they cost less, but - as long as they work, I'll be happy.

What type of padded glove are you talking about?
Right now, for my winding and cutting of 16ga steel wire, I'm using some really heavy work gloves, with additional padding on the palms. This eliminates the pain induced by running wire along my bare hand and the cutters pressing into my skin; but they're rather restrictive, and I'd not like to wear them while maneuvering rings/pliers.
A quick search tells me, though, that most padded gloves are rather lighter than that. In which case, I would recommend a comfortable pair of gloves. :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 13, 2012, 09:14:24 pm »

I'm looking for something basically like Boxers Tape, basically just something padded over the palm, specifically the area around the extreme base of the thumb.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 14, 2012, 12:35:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 14, 2012, 12:46:20 pm »

Interwoven Byzantine again?
Still nifty.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 14, 2012, 12:54:29 pm »

Not again, it's the same piece.  I just finished it :P

Looking at $25 for these, they're very slow to build up size.  Easy work, but takes time.

In case anyone forgot, it's 18g 1/4" aluminum and bronze (material, not color) interwoven byzantine sheet.  Clasp is "nickel-free" whatever that is.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 14, 2012, 05:14:49 pm »

It's an Etsy!
girlinhat42.etsy.com
girlinhat42.etsy.com
girlinhat42.etsy.com
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33