Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231618 times)

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Spring 416a)
« Reply #1965 on: December 05, 2011, 05:03:48 pm »

"It is about the University indeed. And I believe you will be as pleased as I am when earing that your vision might come true soon. You can tell your workers they'll start tomorrow." He reached for an open drawer behind his desk, and put the three sizable one ducat coins before Hugo. "This will cover the construction costs. As for your payment, you'll receive it later, next season probably. Is this good for you?"

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: December 05, 2011, 05:10:13 pm »

Kathos followed Nikephoros outside of the tent, curious. He staying in the marshal's shadow during the speech, watching and thinking. When Nikephoros finished talking, he waited until the silence started to return and he stepped forward.

"The Queen was lightly wounded when the Arctic Fox attacked her. It did not matter - he was no match against us, and as you all know that snake was captured. However, the damage has been done, and some now pretend that he was the victim and not the attacker. Our enemy hopes to divide us with these rumors and to spread doubt within our ranks. We must not let that happen, soldiers. In these times of war, our unity is our greatest strenght. As long as we fight together, the Dragon Empire is powerless against us.
As long as we are united, we are invincible."

His voice was powerful and every man heard him well. The way he talked, his words seemed to come alive. It was not the first time he did a speech.

Backup Nikephoros' speech and convince the soldiers that the rumors are lies used to spread doubt in the ranks.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: December 05, 2011, 05:16:47 pm »

"This is where yer off."

The red-headed hedge knight shouldered past the captain without a word, hobnail boots ringing against the planks of the dock as he sullenly dropped a small leather pouch into the older man's hands amid a jingle of coins. The Captain of The Maiden's Fury gave a short nod, and then turned back to his crew to begin barking orders once again. He had been a friend of Sir David, and it was this good will that should have gotten Terryn and the rest of his Hedge Brothers at least as far as the Lowlands, where some good might have been found either in the raiding of villages or the hiring out as protectors against just such raids. But that good will the captain had held for his band had dried up with the old knight's death and the subsequent loss of any sense of honor among the Hedge Brothers. Things had really taken a turn for the worse when Borris the Lout stabbed a cabin boy over a dispute about boots. Sir Terryn was still not entirely certain he regretted his inability to prevent Borris' subsequent execution -- the man's title had been well-earned.

Regardless of the justice, or lack thereof, to be found in Borris' actions, the Thornbred Knights now found themselves in the village of Polca. Destitute, without a single iota of knowledge regarding of the current political climate (it was only known that some sort of siege was taking place to the West, though Sir David had expressed an interest in keeping his men uninvolved), the Terryn idly mused that perhaps the Thornbred Knights would be best served renaming themselves the Stale-Bread Knights. That was certainly all they'd be eating for some time. The young man sighed, his hand idly resting on the pommel of his longsword, his thumb sliding up and down at the spot where a jewel had once been, and solemnly marched away from the sea.

"Ian, you and Oswald go ahead and scout out an area just outside the village limits to set up camp," he ordered as he walked, hardly glancing back to ensure that it had been received. He may have been young, but it was clear from the outset that he was the chosen successor to Sir David, and those men who had decided to remain Brothers were willing to follow him for now. He swallowed another sigh, the bitter resignation to a doomed outlook tinged with the salt of the air. "Bjorn, you go on with them. See what information can be gathered about the local affairs."

While that was being done, Terryn was going to seek out the tavern and buy himself a drink and a bed warmer with the last of his personal funds. Something told him it might be the last bit of comfort he'd see in a while.

Secure a camp just outside the village limits. Send a man into the village to gather information on the local political climate. Terryn heads to the local tavern/inn to eavesdrop on conversation as well as partake in the pleasures of this port.
Also, begin training at the art of...charisma? Pulchritude? Schmoozing? Whatever you want to call it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:18:39 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: December 05, 2011, 05:18:14 pm »

Give the speech to dispel the rumours and reinforce the spirit of the soldiers.
Backup Nikephoros' speech and convince the soldiers that the rumors are lies used to spread doubt in the ranks.
Action: Backup the speeches made by the other generals, and try to convince the soldiers that Mileth has been manipulated into fighting against us, and deserves 'liberation'. Try to influence mercy toward Mileth soldiers who fight against us.
[6+1] You lie through your teeth. The men... they want to believe it, and tell each other they believe it, and act as if they believe it... but you can tell they do not, deep down.
Still, it matters little- acting as if one believes something and actually believing it are not that different. For your purposes, this will do.

Also, Tala: [2] Mercy? Pfft, what. If the Milethans side with the DE, they are the DE. They will be treated no differently.

"This will cover the construction costs. As for your payment, you'll receive it later, next season probably. Is this good for you?"
"Light, that's a rare coinage there. But yes, this should cover the costs. I'll have work start right away. Should be finished early summer."

Secure a camp just outside the village limits. Send a man into the village to gather information on the local political climate. Terryn heads to the local tavern/inn to eavesdrop on conversation as well as partake in the pleasures of this port.
Seems you arrived in the town of Polca at a bad time. Some political upheaval took place recently, and the aftereffects of that are still shaking the town. You can't quite piece together what actually happened, and you get the feeling you aren't the only one- almost as if it hasn't been fully concluded yet. ((Wait for Filli and CG to finish off William's town-taking-over-plot first))

Also, begin training at the art of...charisma? Pulchritude? Schmoozing? Whatever you want to call it.
You try to learn how to be charismatic whilst talking to whores and tavern wenches. Given that they swoon at you regardless of your words- so long as you have coin- you don't think you learn much. You would need to talk with someone who is actually experienced in this sort of thing and might be willing to teach you.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:34:11 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: December 05, 2011, 05:28:47 pm »

Tala waited till the other two men had finished, then jumped on the box and began orating. She noticed most of them were not interested in her body, instead of her words, at first..

But Tala could speak too-it came from the heart, and her own desire to try and avert as much bloodshed as could in this mess of a war.

For such a young women, her voice carried amazingly well-it held a certain beauty, charm and grace, tempered by a steel edge...

"Indeed-our greatest foe is within the walls of Mileth, not among us.

I can only pay respect to the words of the two great men that preceded me, for they speak to you as men, as soldier of Ligoria-as you ought to be. I am Tala Alanis, and I would have you hear me.

They lead only where you will follow-we honor your sacrifices with resounding, total victory. No other outcome is possible.

But, I will not bandy pretty words-this battle will be hard. The walls of Mileth are manned by desperate Dragon Empire soldiers, whom no quarter must be given to. They are invaders, and we must teach all those who trespass on the Storm Coast how we treat unwelcome visitors!

But, I must inform you even the people of Mileth have risen arms against us-they believed the lies of the Dragon Empire and their own Lords, eager to claim power at their peoples expense...and now we must raise sword against them. This battle will no doubt cost many lives, but I ask you-do not harm the people of Mileth more than we must.

We must set our wayward brothers right-not punish them. They will be freed from a tyranny imposed by their own selfish leaders, by Ligoria! And we shall be known in the Storm Coast, not as conquers-but liberators! Let us prove how vile and wrong these lies about our Queen are! When a man of Mileth casts down his sword and begs for mercy, give him it.

This is all I can ask of you, good men of Ligoria. "

She raised her sword to the crowd.

Action: Backup the speeches made by the other generals, and try to convince the soldiers that Mileth has been manipulated into fighting against us, and deserves 'liberation'. Try to influence mercy toward Mileth soldiers who fight against us.

OOC: Ninjaed: Just edit me in there. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: December 05, 2011, 05:33:45 pm »

"Very good then! Keep me posted on the advancement of the project, would you? Oh, and one last thing. If I were you, I would watch closely some of the patrons over at the Bleeding Scale, I was told there were some... Rather shady people in there."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: December 05, 2011, 05:41:41 pm »

"Very good then! Keep me posted on the advancement of the project, would you? Oh, and one last thing. If I were you, I would watch closely some of the patrons over at the Bleeding Scale, I was told there were some... Rather shady people in there."
"Oh dear. I'm afraid I don't spend much time in the bar. I will have the staff look out for these shady characters. I'll be sure to tell you if we find anything suspicious."

Hugo smiled and nodded and turned and left and cursed silently under his breath. By the Light, what was Avitus doing? Stay out of my business, and I'll stay out of yours. Rather shady? Who was calling the Fists rather shady? The Bleeding Scales was hardly visited, who was relaying the shadiness of its patrons to the steward? Bah, whatever. He had nothing solid, and wouldn't get anything. The suspicious stuff happened in the back, far beyond public view.
Long Live United Forenia!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: December 05, 2011, 05:44:24 pm »

Tala jumped down from the box and left the grumbling soldiery to stand by Kathos and Nikephoros.

She was in a vicious mood now. The looks of the soldiers were not softened-too many of them couldn't get past their hate of the Dragon Empire to remember the faces of their mothers, wives and daughters. A pity...

"My first speech among soldiers, but I could hardly hope to outshine two generals, such as yourselves.

I've still much to learn from you about command, Nikephoros..."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: December 05, 2011, 05:55:37 pm »

"We can talk more about lessons later."

Nikephoros then heard of a messenger from Avitus. No doubt he wanted to get a progress report from the frontline. Heh. In a quite short time enough things happened to fill a half a book. No matter. He will be informed of necessary items only. He spoke to the messenger.

What do you have for us from Regent?

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: December 05, 2011, 08:26:21 pm »

((I forget his name too, its in here somewhere - ill look later))

Attitude roll: [4]
"So i continue sitting on my ass, you'll clear out the thieves and cutthroats and i have to do what exactly? Leave you alone?"

"I'll be in charge of the army, the tax income and what that's allotted to, and have most legal authority over what happens in this town and the surrounding lands. You'll continue "sitting on your ass", give me legal authority over the army and guardsmen and you might be signing some things, I might change a few laws to better benefit Polca, however, and start a few building projects. Sound good?"
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: December 06, 2011, 12:43:05 am »

Come nightfall, the Arctic Fox attempts to return to Mileth.
-------
"The Arctic Fox Lives! We shall rout the Ligorians and endeavor to rescue him!"
*cheering from the assembled soldiers.*
Forces within Mileth attack Ligoria.
Primary Goal, regroup with the Arctic Fox, then retreat to Mileth
Tactics:
I possess +13, 6 tactician regiments. 1 Ambush regiment.
They, possess +9, 3 tactician regiments, +1 Nikephoros, and +1 Pasha, and +1 Cavalry
Ergo, with my +4 I will Split Forces, removing the Heavy II Cavalry, (2 total difficulty,) and the Heavy Pike (3 total difficulty), and then a Heavy/Tact unit(4 total Difficulty). On a d6 roll I must match 1 or higher to succeed(Difficulty 4 with my bonus being +4). This removes 4 str (Heavy II Cavalry,) 2 str (Heavy Pike) and 2 str, (Heavy/tact)
Leaving things at , by my count, a 12 STR (8 regiments mine, +(3 Mileth Regiments) +1 (Heavy) vs.. 9 Str after they lose 3 regiments to my Tactics

Any enemy tactics are rolled at a -4 penalty, meaning they would have to roll 6 to succeed a difficulty 2 tactic.
Forces sacrificed to attrition will be my unupgraded regiments.
One round, then I guess we pick tactics again.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:53:49 am by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: December 06, 2011, 12:54:24 am »

Order the assault on Mileth as soon as night falls, No tactics apart from destroying EVERY enemy combatant.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: December 06, 2011, 12:59:33 am »

Order the assault on Mileth as soon as night falls, No tactics apart from destroying EVERY enemy combatant.

Come nightfall, the Arctic Fox attempts to return to Mileth.
-------
"The Arctic Fox Lives! We shall rout the Ligorians and endeavor to rescue him!"
*cheering from the assembled soldiers.*
Forces within Mileth attack Ligoria.
Primary Goal, regroup with the Arctic Fox, then retreat to Mileth
Tactics:
I possess +13, 6 tactician regiments. 1 Ambush regiment.
They, possess +9, 3 tactician regiments, +1 Nikephoros, and +1 Pasha, and +1 Cavalry
Ergo, with my +4 I will Split Forces, removing the Heavy II Cavalry, (2 total difficulty,) and the Heavy Pike (3 total difficulty), and then a Heavy/Tact unit(4 total Difficulty). On a d6 roll I must match 1 or higher to succeed(Difficulty 4 with my bonus being +4). This removes 4 str (Heavy II Cavalry,) 2 str (Heavy Pike) and 2 str, (Heavy/tact)
Leaving things at , by my count, a 12 STR (8 regiments mine, +(3 Mileth Regiments) +1 (Heavy) vs.. 9 Str after they lose 3 regiments to my Tactics

Any enemy tactics are rolled at a -4 penalty, meaning they would have to roll 6 to succeed a difficulty 2 tactic.
Forces sacrificed to attrition will be my unupgraded regiments.
One round, then I guess we pick tactics again.

Post reserved for ROund 1
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: December 06, 2011, 01:54:34 am »

"I'll be in charge of the army, the tax income and what that's allotted to, and have most legal authority over what happens in this town and the surrounding lands. You'll continue "sitting on your ass", give me legal authority over the army and guardsmen and you might be signing some things, I might change a few laws to better benefit Polca, however, and start a few building projects. Sound good?"

"Sounds like insanity to me. There's no possible way that the populace would agree to this without revolt - especially given your actions. Even IF I could word you in as a hired entity within the city, at best you'd manage a large amount of pay. Say 20% of the income? Much of the funds around here go to paying off bribes, which after tonight will need serious renegotiation. Many of these bribes were to smugglers and mercenary forces to maintain the illusory presence of themselves in the area to scare off shenanigans like your own."

He rubs his eyes in though before continuing, "The idea of doable, barely. If you don't like it you can face revolt and the army of Galam. They've been eager to take my fair city as their own for a while. While not a nice man, I am at least fair to my people. They don't love me, but I'm not a monster like some nobles along the coast."
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: December 06, 2011, 10:37:19 am »

Screw trying to take further power. Just bide your time.

"You know..."
William leaned forward for a moment. Then he smiled.

"Twenty sounds doable...And I'm only accepting because you do seem to sincerely care about your people and not want to see them hurt. And I like that in a lord..."
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 220