Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231854 times)

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Spring 416a)
« Reply #1710 on: November 27, 2011, 09:12:50 am »

After whatever happened in the slums:

Avitus had taken a bath, shaved his mustache, and changed to a best suited outfit before going back to his tower to overview the work in progress. He saw the Queen was surprisingly waiting for him. Out of the throne room? Woah, that's something new! He thought.
"Greetings, your highness. I suppose you received my message? I won't take up much of your time, I just need you to... appoint someone to be in charge of any administrative matters while you are abroad waging war. It's a move that will prevent any unrest in your absence, and it will gap a serious loophole in Ligoria's law where anyone could potentially claim the throne while you were gone, I quote : "If ever the aforementioned 'Throne', or royal power per say, was to be abandoned without designated regency for a longer period than two months, succession would be open under the conditions listed in paragraph II.5.a. of the present publication." In short: if your campaign lasts more than two months, the throne will be in peril. What should I do?"

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: November 27, 2011, 09:19:43 am »

"Well, I could just cart the throne around with me, but that would be terribly impractical so the next best thing is to let someone loyal to me be a seatwarmer..." Laythe was pretty clearly unsettled by this development, when she got back there would be a reckoning to the legal system...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: November 27, 2011, 09:25:05 am »

"I'd advise you entrust one of your nobles with this role. Maybe Lord Thunderblade, if he is not going with you?"

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: November 27, 2011, 09:32:09 am »

"He is coming on the campaign, and so is Tala. Best choice then would be one of my bodyguard, and failing that one of the new commanders. Besides, I wouldn't trust either Tala or Kathos on my throne." Laythe started to get a fair bit riled up at the mention that a noble of all things should sit on her throne...

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: November 27, 2011, 09:35:04 am »

Tell the other people to get jobs
[1] Getting jobs sounds good. Unfortunately, it is nigh-impossible to get jobs and remain in your service. Not that this doesn't stop several of your flock from taking the jobs anyway. Some of your troops abandon you. (Not enough to destroy the regiment)

Look for hamlets/farms in the area, that are far from cities.
There are plenty of these, all over the place.

((OOC: Also, I'm going to request a roll to see if Talas Agent in the Criminal court picked up on Avitus's requests for a spy-he's pretty much perfectly placed to hear about such things. If so, he might be present at the meeting. :P ))
You don't need a roll for that. Avitus 'sent out word to the underworld' that he was looking for a spy. Heck, someone probably asked your man if it was him he was looking for. You can know this.

Alright, so may I roll to see how much I actually had to pay for my new troops Nuke?
Provided that the year end event resulting in an anti-DE sentiment amongst the people becomes canon,
[5] The new recruits are eager to join the fight, and the smiths in town are eager to provide them with weapons to fight with. By cleverly recruiting and purchasing only from the most zealous members of the population, you manage to significantly reduce costs. Of the 11 ducats you thought to spend on recruitment, training, and arms, 4 ducats make their way back to the royal coffers.

An Alanis party- her birthday at that! By the Light, had he really spent so much time inside people thought he was dead? Well, he had been thinking of speaking with Tala anyway- this simply provides an excellent excuse.
A reply is quickly written and sent.

Milady Alanis,

It has indeed been too long since we last met. Along with modern culture, the people of this city do not appreciate the mysteries of the Hacturi, and their hasty departure has unfortunately placed many of their duties- with regards to the embassy- in my hands. Which is not to say I have only suffered- I have found time to finish of several of my more ambitious pieces of art whilst I was locked away. Indeed, the prize of my recent work is something I believe you will appreciate. I was wondering how I might have it delivered to you- but of course, a birthday gift it shall be. My eyes shall remain intact another year.

I look forwards to attending,

Hugo van Vissersdorp

There was, of course, the problem of a guest. Whilst Hugo was not lonely, he did not have anyone who he considered special enough to take to an Alanis party. Perhaps he would think of someone. In the meantime, work to be done.

The fist connects with a sickening crack, and the thug falls to the floor, spitting blood. Two of his fellows, sniggering cruelly, help him up and lead him off to fix his jaw. Hugo rubs his knuckles and nods amicably to the assembled criminals.
"As I was saying, my choice of bedfellows does not affect my ability to throw a punch. I trust no one else has a problem being ordered around by a simpering manlover? Fantastic!
Now then. I hear that Avitus has made contact with several shady individuals, and has arranged a meeting? I trust that our representatives will be present at said meeting and report the results thereof to me? I really don't like this whole situation. Scholars do not need spies"

The Bleeding Fist nods. They will be there.

"Next point of business: embassy finances. Certain financial institutions need to be paid off, and we find ourself a tad short in the cash department. I'm not asking for donations, but should anyone have any ideas as to how we might resolve this situation, suggestions are welcome."

"On a related note, the bar, unfortunately, is not doing too well. One might say it is doing poorly. I doubt that your average citizen would even be able to tell you what it is called- hatred for our benevolent benefactors has unfortunately been extended to our legitimate enterprises.
I have a few ideas to resolve this issue. Firstly, I think rebranding is in order. I am having the bar renamed the Bleeding Scales, and a slight redness added to the neck of the Hacturi's head on the sign outside, neatly reversing the message it gives. I will be visiting the lady Alanis- who, I remind you, is off-limits when it comes to criminal activities- and I will be asking her for advice on sprucing up the venue to make it more attractive to bar-goers. One more thing, which I hope you will be able to help me with, is the subtle sabotage of other drinking establishments in the area. If, say, the Robber's Flask- that ugly, stinking hellhole- was to suffer a crippling fire, forcing it to go out of business, many of its clientèle might find themselves walking up the road a little further and into our- far more elegant- doors."

Hugo seems slightly more excited about the prospect of destroying the 'ugly' Robber's Flask than is necessary. The Bleeding Fist indicates that arson is a tricky trade which is difficult to pull of subtly, but they will look into the matter, as well as less violent means of sending people the embassy's way.

The Bleeding Fist will (attempt) to be present (if unseen) at Avitus's meeting.

The Bleeding Fist will look into 'encouraging' people to visit the Bleeding Scales (the bar part of the embassy) rather than other bars in the area. Nothing extreme... yet.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:43:08 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: November 27, 2011, 10:10:03 am »

Avitus couldn't refrain a surprised look.
"A... ahem... Bodyguard? I'm not sure this would be a wise move. If the people ever see someone that is not of a sufficiently high birth on the throne, it might give them ideas."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: November 27, 2011, 10:58:10 am »

After receiving the letter from Vandire

Pasha looked it over. Ah. He's a serious one. Well, I suppose he wouldn't be an old soldier if he didn't care about his job. I should probably go now. It was early afternoon, so he figured there was still time left in the day. He penned a quick note to Tala explaining where he had went and left it on her bed to make sure she would see it, then requested directions from one of the servants.

General Vandire has requested I come see him. I'm not sure how long the meeting will take but I'll be back before nightfall, hopefully.
Yours,
Pasha

He didn't want to write more than that for propriety's sake, and Tala would understand the second meaning in his sign-off anyway. A little less than an hour later, he was outside Nikephoros's quarters, the man's letter in one hand with the other knocking on the door. It probably hadn't been necessary to take it but he figured there was no harm returning it either.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: November 27, 2011, 11:13:08 am »

Nikephoros was just putting last touches on the orders he was preparing for regiments' captains, when his expected visitor knocked on the door.

Come in!
After seeing the man enter Nikephoros begun:

Ah, you must be.. Pasha, right? Its a shame that you took your sweet time in winter to get aquainted with Ligoria but not me, especially on the eve of the campaign.
But enough of that. Tell me about yourself and how did you come about to serving Lady Alanis.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: November 27, 2011, 11:37:50 am »

Spring had come to the Storm Coast. A mild, enjoyable spring that brought the promise of war to all the Storm Coast.

The Arctic Fox had come to think of Mileth as his in the slow winter months as he prepared his strategy for the coming battles. The population even seemed to accept his rulership, somewhat. However a thought nagged at the back of the Fox's mind that they were merely waiting for his inevitable defeat so they could resume their lives.

The Arctic Fox would be understandably loathe to see Mileth taken from him. He also hoped that none of its citizenry would be harmed in the upcoming battle, and thought he should likely make plans for that.

The troops had enjoyed their respite from the harsh winters of home and were in fine shape due to the ability to drill during the winter months. The Arctic Fox was sure they would be more than a match for the armies that attacked.

Spoiler:  Letter to Shola (click to show/hide)

Send message. Collect taxes from Mileth. Put out the word I am looking for an Engineer (or several)
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: November 27, 2011, 11:42:33 am »

((@SC: Since we didn't do this IC :P ))

Pasha could hear Talas voice echo in his mind. They often spoke of these things when they were both relaxed, emotionally disarmed, and resting...

Tala would pull him close and tell him the things that would keep the secret safe-and herself alive.

We must be so very careful, Pasha...I know I can trust you.

You may be feel compelled to make up random facts-especially if they ask you something you cannot easily answer...but that's only going to make it harder to form a cohesive deception. Eventually, someone will notice. Keep it simple. If they want details...don't give them. You will naturally feel some guilt at withholding information, but it's better than saying something that will trap is later.

..Form a memory in your mind-partially real, partially fake. Use that memory to frame your answer...the trick is to keep the amount of actual, complete lies to a minimum. Use half truth and false recollection...

...most people don't want to drag out small talk anymore than they have to, and you shouldn't either. Give them what they want...and get to business. If they seem to pry, take umbrage. It's better they suspect you of keeping secrets, then for you to reveal one...at best, turn the conversation around on them. You want them to be talking more than you...

...people who keep secrets like ours, are not friends with the people we keep them from . Anyone you trust could turn on you, easily...

...Remember, I trust you with my life, Pasha. No matter what happens...I know you'll do your best, for me...

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: November 27, 2011, 11:56:25 am »

Pasha opened the door and reclined his head respectfully to the general as he entered.

"Ah, you must be.. Pasha, right? Its a shame that you took your sweet time in winter to get acquainted with Ligoria but not me, especially on the eve of the campaign.
But enough of that. Tell me about yourself and how did you come about to serving Lady Alanis."

"To be perfectly truthful I actually haven't gotten to see much of the town. I've only been in Ligoria for about two weeks; I arrived just before the end of the winter season, and I've spent the majority of my time catching up with Lady Alanis and getting her soldiers used to the idea of me leading them." Unless Pasha was reading him wrong, he felt it would be best to stay formal for the moment. He could be more casual around the general once they knew each other better. "As for myself, I'm a tactician. You might have heard of me, but if you haven't I won't take it personally. Many of the people I've worked for would prefer to keep all the success in their name."

He took a step to his right and crossed his arms. "Maybe you've heard of some of them: Julian Pyre, Vander Wells, Jonathon Allworthy, Lord Dysevik Marlax." He turned to look at Nikephoros. "Although my campaign for him may have been my greatest success, I am not proud of it." He looked down and sighed. Considering how things turned out, he would have been much better off to go with the rebels when he had the chance. No amount of coin was worth what that man did. "Let's not speak of him. I'll answer your other question instead."

"I met Tala several years ago while at a festival there and she was, as you might expect, the most charming woman present by far." He laughed and shook his head. "We became friends and kept in touch, sending each other a letter every season... but last summer she didn't responded to mine, and I got worried. And then in the Autumn I heard rumors that the Dragon Empire was attempting to invade the Storm Coast again. I knew Tala had come here, and so I got out of my current employment and came to see how I could help her."

He turned to Nikephoros again. "Being her old friend and a commander, she asked me to lead her troops and I accepted." He shrugged. "But enough of me for the moment. Tell me of yourself and her majesty. I only met her once, but only in an official capacity. I really know little about her... or you." He was curious about who he was working for - by proxy, at least - and who he was working with.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: November 27, 2011, 12:27:25 pm »

Fair enough. Heh, I hope lady Alanis was "friendly" enough to you, winter here can get unusually cold, for a coast that is.

The man was thin as a paper, he could see so easily through him. Or so Nikephoros thought. A pretty boy that could swing his sword in more ways than one. Nothing else to him. But he had a reasonable record.

About your history, I recognise the names you mentioned. They are, or some of them were, good men. I had the occasion of crossing my sword with Pyre more than once, and Allworthy took a nasty wound from me when I brought that hammer down on him.... and Marlax. Heh, I remeber chasing that dog through a swamp, one of the few times the man got unlucky.
About queen: she is my liege. I follow her orders and she takes advice from me. I won't say more, for I hate gossiping about people whom I serve.

Nikephoros' face then grew serious and stern.

Enough of pleasantries though. I want you to get your men and prepare them for tomorrow. We are marching out, so if there is anything you need to do tonight, do it quick.
And one thing you need to remember, especially when you are around me: Forget about the redhead. She raised a regiment at queen's order, so that means you serve me, not her. Every letter and every word in this army always goes through my staff and I will not have it otherwise. And I don't know how did you deal with other commanders, but to me you are just a captain, so I will expect appropriate behaviour and respect for chain of command at all times, both in person and in letter.
He threw crumpled letter from Pasha into the fireplace.

His face then eased up.
I will see you and the rest of regimental staff tomorrow morning. Dismissed.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 12:32:55 pm by Ardas »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: November 27, 2011, 12:43:29 pm »

"Alrighty then, boys, go and get those workmen disguises on. I want to see all of you back here in ten minutes with all weapons and armor hidden, you got that? Good, now get out of here."
After shouting orders out, William walked back into his quarters and began cutting his hair, making it shorter and better-kept looking. He then left the room, borrowed a hat from the captain, nothing too poofy, but a simple little black leather affair. It covered up the brilliant red of his hair rather nicely.

Have my men disguised themselves as workmen, like they did before. They will stay in the boat, as well the crew, when William goes for a walk throughout the city, marking down places of military and government importance, mentally. He will be wearing a black longcoat- that he seems to be liking more and more- over his leather and chainmail armor. He is of course, armed with his sword.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: November 27, 2011, 12:54:50 pm »

Pasha raised an eyebrow, undeterred by the outburst. I see. You do yourself a grave disservice writing Tala off in such a manner. I can understand why she chose Ligoria now; the Queen has a reputation for insanity - sort of like Lord Marlax, in that regard - and her highest-ranking officer is more concerned with grabbing what power he can and is obsessed with control. I hope for Laythe's sake she has someone intelligent at her side because neither of these two are going to see the knife in Tala's hand before it has already been plunged into their spines. Fair enough. Part of the appeal of the wandering life was loyalty to no one except whom he chose. He decided that unless this Nikephoros was skilled on the battlefield he wasn't worth the effort.

"Very well. Tomorrow then." He inclined his head slightly, then turned. It'll be a shame to miss Tala's birthday, but I think she'll understand. Not like I have a choice in the matter, anyway. At the door, however, he paused. "I value Lady Alanis greatly; she is dear to my heart. I would take it as a kindness if you wouldn't slander her name or her honor so casually... sir." With that he left, letting the door swing shut behind him.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: November 27, 2011, 01:46:07 pm »

"Mrgh. Fine, you're in control while I'm away. Don't screw up..." Laythe seemsed to cheer up about now that was a bit behind her.
"Now then, I wasn't here for just that..."
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 220