Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Tsunami Defense System (Aka: Kiss your FPS goodbye)  (Read 4282 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Ahhh, i see.  So rather than making a set of direct diagonal channels straight through, a checkerboard of walls just outside the reservoir floodgates should be enough to make the water flow out through the channel instead of just be pushed out as a wall by pressure?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Correct.  In fact, if you link floodgates within the checkerboard, you can make it a solid wall to prevent flow.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

You also need fewer floodgates (and thus fewer annoying connections) and due to walls there is no risk of a dwarf installing it backwards:

Your current setup could look like this:

Code: [Select]
W=wall or rock
X = floodgate (duh)
^ = up-slope (because they're there already
   (cistern side)
WWWW              WWWWWWWW^
WWWWW W W W W W W WWWWWW^^^
WWWWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWWWW^^
WWW                 ^^^^
        (outside)

But I would make a setup with much larger surface area.  Say, dig out that whole side of the cliff and make a setup like that along the entire thing, it will drain fairly fast but not be under pressure (and thus still push things).
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They're raised at the moment, but there's a second set of floodgates near the end of the wide channel.  I was planning to dig out the east side of the channel when the siege broke so i could pick the direction at-will depending on where Goblins/Badgers/Elven Traders were on the map.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've expanded the outlet a little and it's improved the outflow somewhat.  I think I'm going to take Vehudur's advice and make a second outlet with a much wider outlet.  Right over the main door.  It'll be on the 3rd level of the reservoir, but that'll still be a LOT of water gushing out AND it'll be a straight shot for the side of the hill.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you add pits, even 1 tile holes with no ramp, then if a creature falls in it will drown.  Could be fun to place a bunch of those, and see what actually gets washed off the edge.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

If you add pits, even 1 tile holes with no ramp, then if a creature falls in it will drown.  Could be fun to place a bunch of those, and see what actually gets washed off the edge.

May result in !!Fun!! in the form of tantrum spiral if they are your dwarves.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Who are we to question the drowning gods?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Who are we to question the drowning gods?

The drowning gods will probably look favourably on the next test - the reservoir's finally FULL. 

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only thing missing is a rubber duck.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Argh, there's a siege of goblins sitting in the PERFECT spot for a test-firing, but I'm still hooking up the floodgates! Work faster, you ungrateful little minions!  Work faster, or i unlock the hatches and let them inside just to spite you all!

Edit:  I sent my sole militia squad out (5 Legendary guys with various weapons, 5 moderately competent guys) against a siege of cross-bow wielding goblins and trolls.  A competent swordsdwarf got killed, the rest of the squad kicked ASS.  The front steps are covered in goblin and troll pieces.  Didn't actually expect that to happen to be honest.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:21:11 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Top-skill soldiers are brutal.  I have a squad of 10 danger room trained soldiers in mixed bronze and steel, who are shredding everything.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile

Where are you getting the water from? a river/brook or an aquifer?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aquifer.  I'm also using the same aquifer to power everything with a few rows of water wheels atop it.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

Aquifer.  I'm also using the same aquifer to power everything with a few rows of water wheels atop it.

With time and dwarven industry, you could make your system more powerful. Parallel refill systems would be a good start.

In theory you could skip the storage tank and just make a water creation hose. Pumps can move fluid once every game tick, if there is fluid to move and a place to put it. Since a tile next to an aquifer doesn't refill to 7/7 instantly, you want a secondary feeder layer of pumps to keep the primary pump stacks constantly fed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3