Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Tsunami Defense System (Aka: Kiss your FPS goodbye)  (Read 4277 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

I cant share pics are photobucket appears to be down as i write this, but i can share the save.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4980

Picture if you will, a water reservoir.  51x47 squares in diameter and a whopping 7-z in height.  This is the basis for the TDS.  Rather than using it for something normal like powering reactors and whatnot, i have instead used this vast chamber of pressurized water to create a fast and lethal area denial weapon.  It utterly MURDERS your FPS, but anything on the doorstep had better be able to swim or they're going with the flow.  Down the hillside and into the ground or off the map.

At the time of saving, it's currently about 5/7'ths full (It takes HOURS to fill).  To fire it, look at the control chamber south of the reservoir and pull the lever on the right (the room with five levers, not two).  The far left one shuts off the water outlets up top and the other three do nothing yet.  Have fun, Dwarfers.  Oh, and it'll flood the level below because the fort draws water with a well from the small pond outside the front door.  Just an FYI.

There's also a siege in progress, so don't open the outer hatches.  Cant find where the gobbos are hanging out together outside though.  Also, I think I'm going to try and cage a secreting FB and stick it in a chamber over the reservoir, see if it'll drip gunk into the water to make it a bio-weapon of terrifying proportions.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile

try img.ie

It's better.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll do that tomorrow (quite late here), so until then you'll have to amuse yourself with your imagination from my description, or have a play with the save i guess.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This should be filled with magma.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

Try using a diagonal passage as a pressure-reducer to prevent the well from flooding.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not everything has to involve magma, just most things. I like the idea of using this to spread a syndrome.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile

Reminds me of a 10x10 cistern I once built that was 2 z-levels deep with 4 gates opening into the main stairway.  At a moments notice I could "flush" my entire cistern into the stairwell very quickly.  It was before I learned that goblins never attack from underground and FB's can't drown. Though it was rather handy when a dwarf managed to drown in there and I had to retrieve the body.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

If this trap is depressurized via diagonals, then it will take months, if not years, to drain out, but will do a much better job of pushing creatures and items away.

Do this, except probably use a few diagonal outputs for additional flow, and make a dwarven toilet.  Trade depot at the bottom, for obvious reasons.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The output channel is semi-diagonal. 

And now, i can show some pics of it. 

Spoiler: Overview of the area (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: A direct hit! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: So far, so good (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately, my power hiccuped or something and rebooted my PC before i could take any further pictures.  Sadly, it seems they happily stood in 7/7 water drowning slowly.  The funny part was my dwarves were moving through the water, while drowning, as best they could to go to town on the goblins.  There was goblin blood smearing through the water towards the cliff.  At the very least, it's successful as an area denial weapon.

Girlinhat, can you give an example of a good diagonal channel design for better pressure flow?  I won't be happy till it sends goblins whitewater rafting down the hillside.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:22:23 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At the mouth of the output, you just place several walls or statues, and arrange them diagonal to each other.  Water follows simple pressure rules: if it can get anywhere without taking a diagonal step, then it's pressurized.  Therefore, if you checkerboard the flow with walls, it neutralizes pressure and results in pure flow, slower water usage and greater pushing power.

You "semi diagonal" is too wide, it needs to be 1 tile diagonal, but you can do multiple 1 tile spots and get multiple flows going out, if that makes sense.  Bonus points if you make the checkerboard out of statues of drowning creatures.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Much obliged.  Oh, and i need a favour;  Could anyone with stonesense take a look at my save and see if they can find any metals?  The starting map promised shallow and deep metal, but i haven't seen any veins at all.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Get DFHack, you unzip it into the DF folder and it runs right off the bat.  It has .25 stonesense enabled, as well as prospector for a more direct count of metals.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's the one i meant. And again, cheers.  Looking now.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quick extra question about pressure and diagonal channels - it'll still flowing if i zig-zag the channel diagonally off it's initial path, yeah?  Need to shift the output channel a liiiittle to the left for where i want it to emerge

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As long as there is no direct path, it'll work.  You could place the checkerboard at the outlet of the box, or at the fortifications at the mountain, as long as it covers the entire length.  You're basically making a strip of pressure regulators, and as long as the strip is sealed and solid, it'll function.
Pages: [1] 2 3