Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 288935 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #4260 on: March 28, 2013, 01:29:34 pm »

It would probably be prudent to also link Rolling Jubilee.

This is probably one of the more important things Occupy has done. Every dollar donated will eliminate twenty dollars of debt.

I've heard more than one story about people in debt suddenly getting notification letters from RJ that their debt has been nullified.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: March 28, 2013, 02:31:14 pm »

That is awesome!

It is stuff like that which will silence the "have they actually done anything" crowd (yes, I know I was one of them, but I live in another country and doesn't hear stuff), and more importantly, the kind of things that will stay with people - and history - even if Occupy was to suddenly loose momentum for any reason.

I have no idea how one dollar turns into twenty but I suppose they use economancers of some skill. Even dark magics can be used for good!
Love, scriver~

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: March 28, 2013, 02:34:16 pm »

That is awesome!

It is stuff like that which will silence the "have they actually done anything" crowd (yes, I know I was one of them, but I live in another country and doesn't hear stuff), and more importantly, the kind of things that will stay with people - and history - even if Occupy was to suddenly loose momentum for any reason.

I have no idea how one dollar turns into twenty but I suppose they use economancers of some skill. Even dark magics can be used for good!
Places sell debt for much less than it is actually worth if they don't want to go to the trouble of actually collecting it. Example: someone owes me $1000 in medical bills. I could either employ debt collectors, who may or may not be able to collect that $1000 or I could sell the debt to someone with the resources to collect it for a small percentage of the actual worth. While I may not get as much money, it's better than never getting any at all.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: March 28, 2013, 02:35:18 pm »

Yup, that 1 penny debt is also called zombie debt. It keeps circulating in the system, but the chances of it being collected are small.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: March 28, 2013, 02:38:02 pm »

Yup, that 1 penny debt is also called zombie debt. It keeps circulating in the system, but the chances of it being collected are small.
It still totally fucks your credit though.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: March 28, 2013, 11:27:12 pm »

It would probably be prudent to also link Rolling Jubilee.

This is probably one of the more important things Occupy has done. Every dollar donated will eliminate twenty dollars of debt.

I've heard more than one story about people in debt suddenly getting notification letters from RJ that their debt has been nullified.
That is awesome!

This seems actually genuinely good. I'm not one to praise OWS in general, but this was a really good idea.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4266 on: March 29, 2013, 12:45:08 am »

The way they take 1 dollar to eliminate 20 in debt is this: they pretend to be a scumbag bill collector and buy the debt from someone who has given up hope of collecting for about  5 cents per dollar. They then write off the debt as forgiven.

I would note that if they are doing this 100% in compliance with the law it can cause some minor inconvenience to the person getting their debt payed off because the IRS considers forgiven debt to be income, potentially raising the persons tax burden the next year.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: March 29, 2013, 12:51:47 am »

The way they take 1 dollar to eliminate 20 in debt is this: they pretend to be a scumbag bill collector and buy the debt from someone who has given up hope of collecting for about  5 cents per dollar. They then write off the debt as forgiven.
They aren't really pretending, anyone can buy debt packages.
I would note that if they are doing this 100% in compliance with the law it can cause some minor inconvenience to the person getting their debt payed off because the IRS considers forgiven debt to be income, potentially raising the persons tax burden the next year.
As listed in the FAQ, Rolling Jubilee is a non-profit 501c4 and thus does not file a 1099-C with the IRS related to debt cancellation. (Or, in English, they're a non-profit social welfare organization, not a charity, so the IRS does not consider the forgiven debt income.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: March 29, 2013, 06:43:14 am »

Bureaucracy prevails again! Huzzah!
Love, scriver~

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: March 29, 2013, 06:56:48 am »

They aren't really pretending, anyone can buy debt packages.
As listed in the FAQ, Rolling Jubilee is a non-profit 501c4 and thus does not file a 1099-C with the IRS related to debt cancellation. (Or, in English, they're a non-profit social welfare organization, not a charity, so the IRS does not consider the forgiven debt income.)

Actually, under IRS Code 64(a)(4) it is always income if debt is forgiven. You are rightly pointing to the practical difficulty of tracking that in the absence of a 1099C form. However, in any event IRS Code 108(d) deals with insolvency provisions for debt forgiveness. Also, this is a nasty surprise of some bankruptcies as I understand it.

Intellectually, loans aren't income because though you get something, it has to be paid back. Remove the payback and it's income....

Practically, the reason they enacted this rule was because rich people were abusing the daylights out of the situation. They would "loan" their kids large sums of money, sometimes in the millions of dollars range, and then simply "forgive" it. Thus, they would avoid paying any taxes, estate, capital gains, etc.... Now, if the IRS could be persuaded to grant an exception limited in the number of times and dollar amount of forgiveness, or limiting the source of such forgiveness to non profits and disinterested parties, that might work. Who knows.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: April 05, 2013, 10:32:30 am »

Figured you might find this interesting.  There was a massive leak of offshore accounts details, which is apparently got lots of juicy info in it.  http://www.icij.org/offshore/secret-files-expose-offshores-global-impact

http://www.icij.org/blog/2013/04/highlights-offshore-leaks-so-far

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: April 08, 2013, 05:50:05 am »

Figured you might find this interesting.  There was a massive leak of offshore accounts details, which is apparently got lots of juicy info in it.  http://www.icij.org/offshore/secret-files-expose-offshores-global-impact

Nice, very well done and my appreciative thanks. At least 1/3 of the world's wealth is stagnating in bank accounts seemingly doing nothing useful, huh. No wonder I can't find a job.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: April 08, 2013, 06:07:38 am »

Nice, very well done and my appreciative thanks. At least 1/3 of the world's wealth is stagnating in bank accounts seemingly doing nothing useful, huh. No wonder I can't find a job.

That's why one of Occupy's main messages has been that inequality is the problem.  When somebody has so much wealth that they literally have no use for it other than hoarding it for its own sake, everyone else suffers for their obscene mental compulsion.

I haven't read the article myself, yet, but I think I'll get around to it today.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: April 08, 2013, 06:26:08 am »

That's why one of Occupy's main messages has been that inequality is the problem.  When somebody has so much wealth that they literally have no use for it other than hoarding it for its own sake, everyone else suffers for their obscene mental compulsion.

Don't banks invest money on behalf of their investors (account holders)? Just because there's money in an account, doesn't by itself tell us the "money is doing nothing useful".

The money sitting idle in the bank is a symptom of the problem, though, not the problem itself. Unutilized money ceases to have any economic meaning. e.g. if you had 1 billion dollars and bury it in a hole in the ground, that's 1 billion that's no longer in circulation. Too much aggressive investing could actually be inflationary / a bubble, e.g. you might prefer the money sits in the bank rather than everyone drives property prices through the roof for "investment properties", and regular people can't buy or rent a house.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:28:09 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: April 08, 2013, 06:43:29 am »

Hehe. Remember that video that someone posted which compared how people want it to be, how people think it is now, and how it actually is? Occupy should focus on how the wealthy lower upper class will still get more money with more financial equality. Somebody get that O'Reilly guy on the phone right now!
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 297