Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289023 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #4200 on: December 25, 2012, 06:55:56 am »

Whomever wrote that plan sounds like they never outgrew Cold War coup operations. Assassinating prominent Occupiers would only serve to radicalize the very large remainder.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nulzilcho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: December 25, 2012, 07:01:18 am »

I'd guess the reason for redaction would have something to do with avoiding violent reprisal by threatened parties. Government monopoly on the use of force and all that.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: December 25, 2012, 07:04:17 am »

America: Where opposing large businesses can get you killed!
Now, now, nobody actually got killed here. They were only planned to be killed, and even then there are plans for everything anyway. The plan to stop a coup initiated by the Girl Scouts of America comes to mind, as does War Plan Red (which was to take on the entire Commonwealth of Nations after WWI at once and win, for the record).
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: December 25, 2012, 07:30:00 am »

Whomever wrote that plan sounds like they never outgrew Cold War coup operations. Assassinating prominent Occupiers would only serve to radicalize the very large remainder.

In other words: sounds like business as usual?  People have been saying the same thing about the War on Terror for a decade.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: December 25, 2012, 07:35:44 am »

In other words: sounds like business as usual?  People have been saying the same thing about the War on Terror for a decade.
It's not quite the same here. There are plenty of people in, for example, Afghanistan, who would be trying to kill us for being American Imperialist Dogs regardless of our actions. al-Qaieda and the like might be less popular if we did things correctly, but I doubt they'd be not fighting us.

Now, Occupy is peaceful. Politically radical depending upon whom you are asking, but still peacefully so. The issue is that there is a lot of momentum and rhetoric in Occupy as a peaceful movement. As in, the kind of momentum that could fucking explode and turn into an armed conflict if government assassins start shooting them. That the FBI, who really should know better, had a plan that would result in the worst possible outcome rather than one that could actually pacify Occupy if shit hits the fan, is the biggest problem here from where I'm standing.
No Gods, No Masters.

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: December 25, 2012, 08:21:37 am »

... if government assassins start shooting them. That the FBI, who really should know better, had a plan that would result in the worst possible outcome rather than one that could actually pacify Occupy if shit hits the fan, is the biggest problem here from where I'm standing.
We don't know that the would-be assassins are any type of government agency from the released documentation. Of course, we also don't know for sure that they're not, because the details are redacted. We can however reliably(?) infer from the wording that the FBI learned of the plan and therefore that the redacted entity is not the FBI themselves, and which, playing devils advocate here, at least shows they're doing their job.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: December 25, 2012, 08:33:54 am »

We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: December 25, 2012, 12:12:42 pm »

They attacked a church. Seriously. What group of arse-for-brains would do that?
Love, scriver~

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: December 25, 2012, 01:12:00 pm »

More realistically, someone who doesn't care about the church either way and/or someone who's just doing their job.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: December 25, 2012, 01:14:08 pm »

Why assume this has anything to do with them?
even if they are "bad" are you really saying its far more likely they would do this then some random kid\hate group?
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: December 25, 2012, 01:28:44 pm »

Not if your a wood elf.

(wonder who gets that reference)

I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: December 31, 2012, 06:42:44 am »

This article has been making some aggressive viral rounds the last couple days.  Remember that thing about the sniper plot?  That was a very small part of a very large document obtained by FOIA request.  According to the article, the document as a whole describes how the nationwide crackdown on Occupy was organized by FBI, local police, and financial institutions all acting as one entity.  If true, it reinforces that law enforcement is working directly for banks, not for the people, and does so by abusing the hell out of terrorism labels and the powers granted to counter-terrorism measures.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: December 31, 2012, 06:47:25 am »

The Guardian is almost a liberal version of Fox News.  Take anything they say with a bucket of salt.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: December 31, 2012, 06:51:23 am »

Yeah, and that's quite plain from the writing style.  It clearly pushes one perspective.  Need to read through the documents myself and draw my own conclusion, but that's a lot of reading.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 297