Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289411 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #3990 on: October 24, 2012, 12:04:35 pm »

There is a non-zero probability that they were false flag operations by agent provocateurs.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: October 24, 2012, 12:05:49 pm »

There is a non-zero probability that they were false flag operations by agent provocateurs.
Gee, if only we had some way of finding out if that were the case or not, like some sort of.....investigation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: October 24, 2012, 12:07:13 pm »

I don't believe that property damage is violence, unless it results in harm to a person (burning a house down or destroying a life-support system).

I also find dictionary definitions of words are almost always misleading in a political context.  You know what terrorism means to people today.  It isn't throwing rocks through windows.  Your dictionary definition is a bunch of smoke.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: October 24, 2012, 12:08:57 pm »

When can you prove that without relying on baseless assumptions of government corruption?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: October 24, 2012, 12:11:09 pm »

I wouldn't say non-zero.  There are plenty of smash-shit-up anarchists out there.

Gee, if only we had some way of finding out if that were the case or not, like some sort of.....investigation.

Pardon my cynicism, but if agent provocateurs committed vandalism as a pretext for a secret intelligence gathering operation (investigation) to be conducted later, I don't think they're going to reveal that to the public.

When can you prove that without relying on baseless assumptions of government corruption?

There is plenty of precedent for law enforcement agencies using agent provocateurs.  I've posted plenty about that in this thread already.  I'm not going to go about digging up information on the subject right now.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: October 24, 2012, 12:11:38 pm »

The assumption is everything but baseless.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: October 24, 2012, 12:12:54 pm »

Prove the assumption or stop spewing uneducated vitriol at our justice system.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: October 24, 2012, 12:15:35 pm »

Prove the assumption or stop spewing uneducated vitriol at our justice system.

I don't have to prove the fucking assumption. You have to prove that it is baseless.

Our government has done this same thing dozens of times over the last 100 years to its own people. And hundreds of times to other people. Objectively not a baseless assertion.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: October 24, 2012, 12:16:34 pm »

Pardon my cynicism, but if agent provocateurs committed vandalism as a pretext for a secret intelligence gathering operation (investigation) to be conducted later, I don't think they're going to reveal that to the public.
I doubt they'd have a choice. Have you ever seen what happens when a group tries to mess with the legal process concerning a trial being conducted by a federal judge? Federal judges are some scary motherfuckers if you cross them, and covering up important information like that is most certainly crossing them. They can't even make the secrecy argument, because the (hypothetical, but the grand jury is secret so the trial would likely be as well) trial itself is already classified and thus classified information isn't protected within it.

Intelligence agencies are great at their whole cover-up thing most of the time, but inside a courtroom it just isn't to be.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:25:24 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: October 24, 2012, 12:23:30 pm »

I don't have to prove the fucking assumption. You have to prove that it is baseless.

Our government has done this same thing dozens of times over the last 100 years to its own people. And hundreds of times to other people. Objectively not a baseless assertion.

So: just to get this correct, you have no evidence, no actual proof to base your assumption on. Your proof of current misdeeds are previous misdeeds. That is no proof, only enforcing that you're going with your opinion [supporting the anarchists] and not relying on the justice system to do what it does by investigating not only the group involved but the entire process. That's why they have investigations, children.

You'd both be talking about this the exact opposite way if the arrested were Neonazis instead of Neoliberals.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: October 24, 2012, 12:24:57 pm »

Your proof of current misdeeds are previous misdeeds.

This is an ironic statement.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: October 24, 2012, 12:25:28 pm »

I don't believe that property damage is violence, unless it results in harm to a person (burning a house down or destroying a life-support system).

I also find dictionary definitions of words are almost always misleading in a political context.  You know what terrorism means to people today.  It isn't throwing rocks through windows.  Your dictionary definition is a bunch of smoke.

Even if you don't believe that property damage is violence, which I disagree with. People were attacked as well. No injuries were reported, but at least one officer had glass broken against his plastic face shield.

If this were the case, why wouldn't those three in custody simply say that to the grand jury rather than refusing to say anything at all? A denial is still an answer. It's also quite possible they wanted to go to jail and are using this simply to stir up sympathy for their cause. The fact that the girl who was released didn't report her release right away is a clue towards this end.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: October 24, 2012, 12:31:23 pm »

People were attacked as well.

Umm... this is perplexing to me.  I didn't read up on the May Day actions, but I would be very surprised if protesters, even a black bloc group, attacked people.  That's nearly unheard of to me.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: October 24, 2012, 12:36:36 pm »

It's also surprising for arguments over professional sports to end up in violent and occasionally deadly action, but it happens...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_hooliganism

Violence can and does escalate, sometimes beyond the control or intent of those who incited it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: October 24, 2012, 12:38:14 pm »

It's also surprising for arguments over professional sports to end up in violent and occasionally deadly action, but it happens...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_hooliganism

Violence can and does escalate, sometimes beyond the control or intent of those who incited it.

I've seen infinitely more cases of violence related to sports than cases of black blocs in America attempting to physically harm any human being.  And I follow this stuff, except for the last few months because I've been crazy busy.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 297