Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 289291 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #2475 on: December 21, 2011, 04:07:10 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/cops-ready-war-094500010.html
Yay. Well, people wanted to be "safe", and now they are. And if that ex-military cop has a bit of a jumpy trigger finger thanks to years of dodging insurgents and IEDs....well, you should have hit the ground a few seconds faster. We'll send our condolences to your next of kin. Or just say that you were attempting to attack the police. Either/or.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2476 on: December 21, 2011, 04:07:45 pm »

Well, I dunno what to think of it. I side of my brain says they might use that stuff againest the Occupy protesters, another says they are just wasting money.

China showed how effective armored vehicles can be in dispersing peaceful civil protests back in 1989.

I am becoming increasing disillusioned, and I see no future worth having. American liberty, freedom, prosperity and hope are ending. And it is happening by our own hand and not that of a foreign power.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: December 21, 2011, 04:11:57 pm »

And we were having such a good run with this whole democracy thing, too. Oh well, time for a police state.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2478 on: December 21, 2011, 04:15:38 pm »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/more-predator-drones-fly-us-mexico-border/2011/12/01/gIQANSZz8O_story.html?hpid=z4
In his trips to testify on Capitol Hill, Michael Kostelnik, the retired U.S. Air Force general and former test pilot who runs the Office of Air and Marine for the Border Protection service, said that he’s never been challenged in Congress about the appropriate use of domestic drones. “Instead the question is: Why can’t we have more of them in my district?” Kostelnik said.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: December 21, 2011, 04:19:59 pm »

It has long been like that. It's just that with the current crisis the canvas is fraying and the springs inside the mattress are more evident.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: December 21, 2011, 04:24:43 pm »

The images unfold to the pulsing, ominous soundtrack of a popular videogame, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Though resembling soldiers in a far-flung war zone, the stars of this video are Massachusetts State Police troopers.

“As criminal organizations are increasingly armed with military-style weapons, law enforcement operations require the same level of field-tested and combat-proven protection used by soldiers and Marines in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other high-risk locations,” boasts an Oshkosh Corp. brochure at a recent police seminar, where the company pitched its “tactical protector vehicle.”

“We have a lot of people here, like most departments, who are ex-military,” Ramsey says. “Some people are very much into guns and so forth. So it wasn’t hard to find volunteers.”

This reminds me very much of the before-and-after interviews with the Guerena shooting.  It's a string of fallacies running through law enforcement that are ultimately just whitewashing a basic change in thinking.  You can make all the claims you want about how better armed criminals required better armed law enforcement (i.e. the "having more guns keeps you from being shot" fallacy).  Or that for no really good reason the United States as a whole (including Fargo) are suddenly under a vastly greater physical threat than fifteen years ago (even though a dozen times as many people die of traffic accidents each year than all deaths-by-terrorism in the nation's history, or that illegal immigration has practically stopped as the economy went down, or any number of other reasons you care to point to), and that it's the responsibility of local police to form the first and last line of defense against such a threat, whatever nebulous entity it may be.

But it all comes back to what one of the guys who was later part of the Guerena raid said.  Police departments are full of, increasingly so apparently, guys who just like playing with guns and being The Hero.  There's no shortage of cops who itch at the chance to crack open the SWAT cabinet and go Dirty Harry on a noise ordinance, and want to be extra ready when they are.  It's not so a much a burgeoning police state or anything (at least in my estimation), so much as a fundamentally eroding sense of professionalism in law enforcement.  Protecting the peace is incidental to some control freak working out his need to feel powerful, as a 9-5 job.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: December 21, 2011, 04:27:41 pm »

From what I understand, a lot of these purchases are the officers getting together and asking "What can we buy with this homeland defense cash that is REALLY REALLY COOL, before they take it back because we aren't spending it fast enough.

Oh, I know! A TANK!"

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: December 21, 2011, 04:37:30 pm »

The images unfold to the pulsing, ominous soundtrack of a popular videogame, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Though resembling soldiers in a far-flung war zone, the stars of this video are Massachusetts State Police troopers.

“As criminal organizations are increasingly armed with military-style weapons, law enforcement operations require the same level of field-tested and combat-proven protection used by soldiers and Marines in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other high-risk locations,” boasts an Oshkosh Corp. brochure at a recent police seminar, where the company pitched its “tactical protector vehicle.”

“We have a lot of people here, like most departments, who are ex-military,” Ramsey says. “Some people are very much into guns and so forth. So it wasn’t hard to find volunteers.”

This reminds me very much of the before-and-after interviews with the Guerena shooting.  It's a string of fallacies running through law enforcement that are ultimately just whitewashing a basic change in thinking.  You can make all the claims you want about how better armed criminals required better armed law enforcement (i.e. the "having more guns keeps you from being shot" fallacy).  Or that for no really good reason the United States as a whole (including Fargo) are suddenly under a vastly greater physical threat than fifteen years ago (even though a dozen times as many people die of traffic accidents each year than all deaths-by-terrorism in the nation's history, or that illegal immigration has practically stopped as the economy went down, or any number of other reasons you care to point to), and that it's the responsibility of local police to form the first and last line of defense against such a threat, whatever nebulous entity it may be.

But it all comes back to what one of the guys who was later part of the Guerena raid said.  Police departments are full of, increasingly so apparently, guys who just like playing with guns and being The Hero.  There's no shortage of cops who itch at the chance to crack open the SWAT cabinet and go Dirty Harry on a noise ordinance, and want to be extra ready when they are.  It's not so a much a burgeoning police state or anything (at least in my estimation), so much as a fundamentally eroding sense of professionalism in law enforcement.  Protecting the peace is incidental to some control freak working out his need to feel powerful, as a 9-5 job.

Know anyone with that mindset around me who wants to be on a jury? :P

Honestly yes, in many ways. Some officers are alright, but I seem to get the ones who are jerks. It amazes me how much credit people give the police in juries.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: December 21, 2011, 04:39:49 pm »

It doesn't amaze me, because dammit, they should be trustworthy! What amazes me is when they aren't.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: December 21, 2011, 05:17:02 pm »

... why do you have the Elder Sign as an avatar?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: December 21, 2011, 05:22:30 pm »

You must be one of the Old Ones! Ha, you'll never get me now!
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: December 21, 2011, 08:28:25 pm »

Yay. Well, people wanted to be "safe", and now they are. And if that ex-military cop has a bit of a jumpy trigger finger thanks to years of dodging insurgents and IEDs....well, you should have hit the ground a few seconds faster. We'll send our condolences to your next of kin. Or just say that you were attempting to attack the police. Either/or.

You should probably be praying that there's more than one of those ex-mil guys on that line. Because I garuntee you that, in reality, they're going to have a lot better restraint with that trigger than the sea of Harry Callahan wannabes around them.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: December 21, 2011, 09:20:33 pm »

Or not.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #2488 on: December 22, 2011, 12:55:31 am »

... why do you have the Elder Sign as an avatar?

I want to know why it's a parody of the NERV logo, which is coincidentally vaguely related to this thread...
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: December 22, 2011, 02:57:25 am »

The parody of the Nerv one is for another fictional organisation, Sonne (which is Nerv in a game I'm running, Neon Caballus Evangelion), which is the MLP version of Nerv. The motto is 'Celestia's in her heaven, all's right with the world'.

How is it related, by the way?
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 297