Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290100 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #1035 on: October 26, 2011, 11:18:05 pm »

Interesting part of the article.

"We will allow people to demonstrate, to march and to express their opinions," Jordan said. But he and Quan stressed that camping will not be permitted and free speech activities should occur only between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: October 26, 2011, 11:19:44 pm »

I have to say that "be an instrument to genocide" is slightly worse than "curb labor unions."

Irellevant. The point is that they weren't created to abuse labor unions, at the previous quote claims.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: October 26, 2011, 11:20:25 pm »

"We will allow people to demonstrate, to march and to express their opinions," Jordan said. But he and Quan stressed that camping will not be permitted and free speech activities should occur only between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.
Oh good, we've made free speech conditional. And here I was worrying.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: October 26, 2011, 11:21:57 pm »

I have to say that "be an instrument to genocide" is slightly worse than "curb labor unions."

Irrelevant. The point is that they weren't created to abuse labor unions, at the previous quote claims.

but their history is far less sinister than this person claims.

Highly fucking relevant.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: October 26, 2011, 11:23:29 pm »

Irrelevant. The point is that they weren't created to abuse labor unions, at the previous quote claims.

but their history is far less sinister than this person claims.

Highly fucking relevant.
To (as far as I know. I don't study American history) provide a legitimate defence against a possibly enemy as opposed to being created to enforce martial law.

Oh good, we've made free speech conditional. And here I was worrying.
See! I knew there was nothing to worry about!
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: October 26, 2011, 11:24:53 pm »

Also, is there any site with (relative) accuracy on numbers attending/successes/failures/clashes with police and the like on this?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: October 26, 2011, 11:26:38 pm »

Uhh... wrong. The National Guard originated from the colonial government-sponsored militias in and around the Massachusetts Bay colony, created in the 1640s to defend against the Native Americans. They predate the U.S. government and the concept of labor unions entirely.

Yeah, but their origins are kind of separate from their modern incarnation.  It seemed like a bit of an extreme claim, but still a kind of thing that happens often enough in our politics, where something is done for one reason but really another.  Wikipedia marks the 1903 Militia Act as the official founding, as motivated by weaknesses in the militia discovered during the Spanish-American War.  It's also right in the middle of some of the most intense years of labor struggle.

It was just an interesting enough claim that I wondered if anyone here had some more obscure history knowledge to apply to it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:29:01 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: October 26, 2011, 11:27:50 pm »

Arguably, it's still correct, if you recall the latin root of the word "sinister" and propose that labor unions are further left than supporting genocide.

As for the "We will allow free speech between the hours of X and Y" thing... I bet the person who thought that up thinks it's a wonderful compromise, and that they should be thanked for the many concessions made. A bit of an assumption, but anytime something like that starts with "We will allow..." I tend to suspect that is the thinking.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1043 on: October 26, 2011, 11:41:44 pm »

I was in Petal, MS when my sheriff "allegedly" held the national guard at gun point when they tried to steal the local peoples food, water and ice, so they could ship it north and store it in a warehouse instead giving it to people in need after hurricane Katrina.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: October 26, 2011, 11:42:48 pm »

ITT: People should really have to read up on Constitutional and judicial history before being allowed to hold public office. Even the slightest inquiry would show said mayor that she doesn't get a compromise in this situation, she just has to allow it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:49:22 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: October 26, 2011, 11:46:18 pm »

ITT: People should really have to read up on Constitutional and judicial history before being allowed to hold public office. Even the slightest inquiry would show said mayor that she doesn't get a compromise in this situation, she just has to allow it.

Ftfy ;)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: October 26, 2011, 11:47:19 pm »

Arguably, it's still correct, if you recall the latin root of the word "sinister" and propose that labor unions are further left than supporting genocide.

What's it feel like to write something this awesome?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: October 26, 2011, 11:50:26 pm »

Isn't that the wrong way round?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: October 26, 2011, 11:54:56 pm »

No, sinister is the left handed side.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: October 26, 2011, 11:57:40 pm »

The political spectrum is really a circle, and if you go far enough in either direction you end up at genocide.  :P

Actually, more like the political mobius strip.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 297