Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Need a new sandbox/open-ended game  (Read 5372 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new sandbox/open-ended game
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2011, 10:29:57 am »

Evil Genius is fun.

Too bad it isn't very replayable. Random lairs would have been nice.

Next best thing is mods I think. Some here: http://www.n1nj4.com/viewforum.php?f=20&sid=c17f98eb3228a1b2776e4772722e4735

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2011, 10:31:18 am »

Evil Genius is fun.

Or even some difference between the 3 villains aside from area/potency of loyalty effect.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2011, 10:34:15 am »

Anyone has feedback on port royale 2?
It's like a slower version of Patrician. If you played Patrician you won't enjoy this
I can say its more graphicy and simplistic looking.

Uncharted Horizons I&II (SNES)  I think thats the name.

I think it's Uncharted Waters: New Horizons. The prequel (Uncharted Waters?) was on the Genesis. I think.

New Horizons is fun as HELL, and it's way more like a PC game than you'd commonly expect from the SNES. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's a DOS version. The SNES one has greatly improved graphics; I'm not sure if the DOS incarnation has anything over it besides controls.

I liked the idea of Black & White, but I hated the incredibly linear gameplay. Here's a sandbox! Here's what to do in it! Blagh. However, you can download some interesting huge-scale maps to play in. It can revitalize an otherwise stagnant game.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2011, 10:38:37 am »

New suggestion: Fort Zombie

Classic zombie apocalypse. You claim a safehouse. Barricade it. Find food, weapons, armors, ammo and help other survivers escape. Pathfinding is horrible but it's a great game.
Yep. fantastic game. Was pretty rough on launch but they've fixed a lot of the problems and now its a lot of fun.
It's a bit laggy on my computer. It can run Crysis just fine but my computer can't endure the perfect graphics of Fort Zombie I guess.
Huh, when was the last time you played? I had a lot of slowdown on release but the latest patch clears it up. Maybe an issue where the game doesn't like your hardware or something? Unfortunate though, it really is a fun game and the team has put a lot of time into improving it that they didn't need to and didn't get paid for.

It is a fun game indeed. I'm going to play it when I have a better hardware. I was using the 1.07 patch. My video card is good enough to run it but I think I should get a better CPU

My current CPU is: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
Video card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT

Evil Genius is fun.

Or even some difference between the 3 villains aside from area/potency of loyalty effect.
I didn't care about missions and tried to go sandbox in the first island. Then I discovered other awesome things like researching. *facepalm*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2011, 10:49:22 am »

That was a major issue in Evil Genius. On your first playthrough you have no idea what you're doing, so you will VERY LIKELY design your base in an entirely useless manner because other important rooms become available later on which need to be located in specific ways.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2011, 10:52:28 am »

Yep. The biggest problem with EG was that you had to know everything beforehand if you wanted to be successful. Hell, even on Island 2 you weren't able to build everything right unless you had a really really good map planned.

Also, it was pretty much a requisite to "hack" the config files to allow for more goons. The amount they gave you pretty much guaranteed that you wouldn't be able to do the missions unless you suicided/retrained often.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2011, 11:06:42 am »

I replayed the game 3 times to create my perfect island.

To those who want to play EG. Take a look at here first http://www.evilbastard.org/slight/egplanner.php

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2011, 11:31:47 am »

Huh, when was the last time you played? I had a lot of slowdown on release but the latest patch clears it up. Maybe an issue where the game doesn't like your hardware or something? Unfortunate though, it really is a fun game and the team has put a lot of time into improving it that they didn't need to and didn't get paid for.

This game has never, ever run perfectly for me. Runs good up until the finale....and then its a lag-crushing exercise in futility. I've tried the game on two different rigs, the second one almost tripling the overall power I had (from a single core to a quad core, double the memory, x2 the video card...)

And the finale still runs like garbage. The whole trap building/barricade thing? A complete waste of time. The first wave alone takes them all out. The game is a ton of fun right up until the end...where even after several patches, it plays like crap. I can't even imagine what the finale would be like without 100 zombies running face first into the very first wall of the main room. I couldn't carry enough ammo and weapons to finish them all, and relying on the AI is pointless.

Sorry for the minor derail, but I think you're the first person I've ever read say that the game plays great all the way through. I'd agree the game was fantastic and worth playing if the ending pretty much never existed. Unfortunately, it does and the whole game builds up to it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 12:02:56 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2011, 11:36:51 am »

Fort Zombie had a lot of potential. I really hope someone would make a game like this. There are lots of zombie games but none of them are about survival. Left 4 Dead 2 for example.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2011, 11:58:43 am »

It's like a slower version of Patrician. If you played Patrician you won't enjoy this
Correction: If you played Patrician and liked it you won't enjoy this.

People who like Patrician tend to dislike Port Royale and vice versa.

Classic zombie apocalypse. You claim a safehouse. Barricade it. Find food, weapons, armors, ammo and help other survivers escape. Pathfinding is horrible but it's a great game.
Yep. fantastic game. Was pretty rough on launch but they've fixed a lot of the problems and now its a lot of fun.
It's a bit laggy on my computer. It can run Crysis just fine but my computer can't endure the perfect graphics of Fort Zombie I guess.

Fort Zombie is one of the greatest games ever created and one of the few games I can excuse the bugs for.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2011, 01:19:08 pm »

Fort Zombie is one of the greatest games ever created and one of the few games I can excuse the bugs for.
I looked at it a few years ago, and it was apparently buggy as hell (According to reviewers and devs). But that was in alpha or some such, so I may give it an actual play.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2011, 08:08:36 pm »

skyrim+mods
This, when it comes out.

I will vanish on skyrim launch date.
Could you bring me a copy?  8)

edit: I would also like a suggestion on a free simulation game to play
Preferably one that I am in (almost) complete control of, like a god game, sort of.
edit2: Waiting for subversion to come out :(
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:16:51 pm by magistrate101 »

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2011, 08:27:35 pm »

Yeah, Subversion looks cool.

...So, ive been thinking of getting Borderlands. My computer is really old though. Gary's Mod still runs...

It would be my first M rated game though (Gmod doesn't count; whatever HL2 was rated!) and the humor/etc is... questionable...

...but...the rocket-shotguns! The bladed fire-pistols! The shotshell revolvers! The double-double-barreled SMGs! The burst-fire sniper rifles! The assault rifles with explosive bullets!

...looks SO satisfying.

Thoughts?

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2011, 08:32:02 pm »

I looked at it a few years ago, and it was apparently buggy as hell (According to reviewers and devs). But that was in alpha or some such, so I may give it an actual play.

There's a huge bug with the latest version of Fort Zombie that I reported about 5 months ago.  The scout skill, which is supposed to reduce the frequency of zombie encounters works in exact opposite.  Like having 0 scout skill gives you 100 effective scout skill, and the reverse as well.  Over time, as the player naturally levels scout through use, MORE zombies are actually encountered.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2011, 11:27:01 pm »

Yeah, Subversion looks cool.

...So, ive been thinking of getting Borderlands. My computer is really old though. Gary's Mod still runs...

It would be my first M rated game though (Gmod doesn't count; whatever HL2 was rated!) and the humor/etc is... questionable...

...but...the rocket-shotguns! The bladed fire-pistols! The shotshell revolvers! The double-double-barreled SMGs! The burst-fire sniper rifles! The assault rifles with explosive bullets!

...looks SO satisfying.

Thoughts?

I liked it on the first playthrough. Really enjoyed the feel that it was Diablo 2 as a first person shooter. After that, though, I had little reason to play it through again on another difficulty, and it is a fairly short game with fairly little difference between the classes. Good for some mindless fun, just never drew me in like Diablo 2 did (and still occasionally does).
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]