Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Finding your way out of a cave.  (Read 3325 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Finding your way out of a cave.
« on: September 21, 2011, 09:35:44 pm »

I'm in a deep cave, and am lost and can't find my way out :(

Also, is there anything I can do to get a light source?  (as an elf) because seeing only 2 or 3 tiles away is bad mojo.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
Re: Finding your way out of a cave.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 10:27:29 pm »

Yeah, getting lost is a big problem in caverns.  Unless you carefully map where you've been or drop items to mark the way back, it will almost certainly be a one-way trip.  Once you lose your bearings, the odds against randomly finding a cave exit are pretty close to astronomical, especially if you can't see very far.  You're actually more likely to find a circus than you are to find a way out, and even finding a circus is likely to take you more than a solid real-world day of wandering.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 12:29:15 am »

Is there a way to see farther at all?   I've already found a circus twice, but I managed to escape.

Also, jabberers.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 02:54:51 am »

can you still open your [Q]uest window?
if you can you can see the map and find your way back to the entrance zone that should still be explored as thats what they do, thereby being able to get back out
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:16:55 am by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 06:51:22 am »

Oh I can, but the caverns have a lot of vertical difference internally (this is in a mountain range) so it's kind of not real helpful unless I wanna go charging through a "circus tent" again...   and I stole the weapon, so all the clowns are out.

I got away before they could eat me, though, I only had to kill one or two that chased me (after clearing the 100-ish undead in there beforehand), but I doubt I'd be able to get back through alive just due to sheer numbers.  Admitedly, the only reason I took the weapon was because it was like 60 steps from the entrance (a few down/up, but still). I remember that the only reason I went through there in the first place was because of a series of underground lakes blocking the other paths. 

Running like hell when you unleash a horde of nasties is the natural reaction, right?  I wouldn't have gotten away if it hadn't been narrow, winding cavern passages to escape in.  Also, how big of an area of the caverns around the Tent will be full of Clowns?  A big area or just the immediate area?

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 07:13:34 am »

Yeah, getting lost is a big problem in caverns.  Unless you carefully map where you've been or drop items to mark the way back, it will almost certainly be a one-way trip.  Once you lose your bearings, the odds against randomly finding a cave exit are pretty close to astronomical, especially if you can't see very far.  You're actually more likely to find a circus than you are to find a way out, and even finding a circus is likely to take you more than a solid real-world day of wandering.

Dropping items doesn't help at all because areas you leave a unloaded and changes are lost.
[Signature]

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 12:03:06 pm »

Oh I can, but the caverns have a lot of vertical difference internally (this is in a mountain range) so it's kind of not real helpful unless I wanna go charging through a "circus tent" again...   and I stole the weapon, so all the clowns are out.

I got away before they could eat me, though, I only had to kill one or two that chased me (after clearing the 100-ish undead in there beforehand), but I doubt I'd be able to get back through alive just due to sheer numbers.  Admitedly, the only reason I took the weapon was because it was like 60 steps from the entrance (a few down/up, but still). I remember that the only reason I went through there in the first place was because of a series of underground lakes blocking the other paths. 

Running like hell when you unleash a horde of nasties is the natural reaction, right?  I wouldn't have gotten away if it hadn't been narrow, winding cavern passages to escape in.  Also, how big of an area of the caverns around the Tent will be full of Clowns?  A big area or just the immediate area?

This would make a good story.  Alone, in the dark, being chased by the agents of evil, with only a masterwork weapon...

Well, if the clowns act like they do in fort mode, they're probably chasing you.  If there are more than two or three in the upper levels of the circus and you try to go back through them, my experience is that death is nearly certain.  They FALCON PUNCH legendary candy-clad warriors to death for breakfast.

The quest map is your only hope of ever seeing daylight again.  Try navigating in a circle using the point of entry as the center so you can go around the circus, and work your way back towards the center any way you can.  Can you swim?  Cavern traversal is next to impossible without skill in swimming.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 03:39:30 pm »

Expert swimmer, so yes.

Is there a way to tell if they're chasing me except for stopping and waiting for a while and seeing?  My character is [Drowsy] so he may need to sleep soon.  I forsee bad things happening.

Also, yes, it would make a great story.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 12:05:17 pm »

Update:  I found the dwarven fortress and am on my way out :P

Except my Elf has a syndrome from a FB now.  Making his skin start to rot.

Doh.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 01:58:24 pm »

Doh.
How long do you suppose you'll last? From what I've heard, a dwarf infected with such a disease lasts about 1/2-1 fort mode month.

Unfortunately, without using Rumrusher's Pick And Axe tips, medical treatment in adventure mode is impossible (save for using a crutch to walk with a broken leg bone/nerve) in the current version. The chances of surviving that syndrome are next to nothing.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 10:18:56 pm »

Doh.
How long do you suppose you'll last? From what I've heard, a dwarf infected with such a disease lasts about 1/2-1 fort mode month.

Unfortunately, without using Rumrusher's Pick And Axe tips, medical treatment in adventure mode is impossible (save for using a crutch to walk with a broken leg bone/nerve) in the current version. The chances of surviving that syndrome are next to nothing.
Actually, from my experience with skin rot, it's harmless.  It generates a lot of miasma while underground, but it just causes your skin to rot and may even leave you immune to pain (from nerve rot).  What you want to watch out for, however, are later stages of the syndrome.  It might do anything from causing blisters to making your spine rot.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 07:30:07 am »

Doh.

Actually, from my experience with skin rot, it's harmless.  It generates a lot of miasma while underground, but it just causes your skin to rot and may even leave you immune to pain (from nerve rot).  What you want to watch out for, however, are later stages of the syndrome.  It might do anything from causing blisters to making your spine rot.
Exactly what I meant.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 07:38:14 am »

Problem is with caves is you need to know when to give up. You can survive close to forever if you're strong enough and can butcher- simply butcher your foes and drink all the blood and pus that splatters on you.

Unless that no longer happens. It's been awhile.
Everybody!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 07:58:07 am »

Problem is with caves is you need to know when to give up. You can survive close to forever if you're strong enough and can butcher- simply butcher your foes and drink all the blood and pus that splatters on you.

Unless that no longer happens. It's been awhile.
You can survive close to forever anyways. You need not eat/drink in the current version (needs to get added back, though) to survive anywhere.

But yeah, for survival, butcher what you kill and drink whatever you can get. Except for the water. That water doesn't look very clean...

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 12:18:14 pm »

Its safer the those damn carp infested lakes on the surfice and I wonder why people are using eletric fence to keep them out...
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
Pages: [1] 2