Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How do you handle your booze?  (Read 6351 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you handle your booze?
« on: September 21, 2011, 08:14:15 am »

I've always wondered how other DF players handled their booze. Do you just throw in giant stockpiles with the rest of the food, keep them in dedicated stockpiles or something more creative?

Me personally, I like to scatter little "Cafes" all over the fortress. They mostly just consist of a few barrels a piece surround by a few tables, chairs and anything that improves moods like waterfalls or artifact querns I always get (I HATE QUERNS). Booze is important and should be treated that way!

Anyways, what do you guys do?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
Re: How do you handle your booze?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:18:04 am »

Mostly, I try to keep it in the stockpiles behind one of the two kitchens.  There's also stockpiles for each of the barracks as well.  Each one inevitably has both beer and food, as I produce a bit of an excess of both.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:22:03 am »

I tuck small booze-only stockpiles in here and there around the fortress, usually out of the main pathway if possible because it's like a water cooler - 3 or 4 standing around shooting the shit.  There are usually a couple in the dining area, one in the metalworks, one in the craftshops, one in the kitchens, etc. - basically at least one 3- to 6-tile area on every level.  Depending on the overall layout, I do like creating little alcoves where the dwarves can step into a small area with maybe a statue to chill and pick up a barrel, just something to look at while they drink.  I do tend to avoid tables and chairs, though, saving those for my official dining area.  Food stockpiles are near the dining area, either one Z up or down.  These tends to be big, as prepared meals do stack up over time.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:23:03 am »

I've always wondered how other DF players handled their booze. Do you just throw in giant stockpiles with the rest of the food, keep them in dedicated stockpiles or something more creative?

Me personally, I like to scatter little "Cafes" all over the fortress. They mostly just consist of a few barrels a piece surround by a few tables, chairs and anything that improves moods like waterfalls or artifact querns I always get (I HATE QUERNS). Booze is important and should be treated that way!

Anyways, what do you guys do?

All eatable stuff in massive 22 x 22 stockpiles in the middle of each living quarters level, surrounding the stairway stack. Outer edges of these stockpiles have tables and thrones, sometimes something fancy in the middle so that Dwarves walking up and down get to admire it. Artifact furniture, Dragons in cages etc..

Once I run out of stockpile room I just carve similar 22 x 22 stockpiles stacked below the living quarter levels... At the moment I have 6 of those + one 44 x 44 one that is half full.  :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:24:36 am by Erkki »

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 08:24:32 am »

I HATE QUERNS

At least you can install a quern to raise your fort value.  My current fort has gotten 3 crowns out of 8 artifacts.
I want Hell to be a place where my dwarves can live in peace and harmony.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 08:29:16 am »

How do I handle my booze?  Pretty well, actually.  Though I don't much care for the taste, some glasses of rum and I can still bust a mean jig on a dance floor. 

...Sorry, couldn't resist....

Anyway, for me, since I already draft all my civilian into inactive 'Civilian Squads,' complete with civvy uniforms of cloaks, leather armor, wooden shields, a sword, and some other light defenses, I figured why not assign flasks/waterskins too? 

Since drinking doesn't gain any happy thought from your surroundings (you never get a "drank in a legendary dining hall" thought, they just grab a barrel and chug it on the spot.), I don't see any downside.  I figure this way they'll waste less time walking to booze as they'll always have some on them.  I haven't confirmed in detail the exact mechanics of this, as while they definitely do equip filled boozeskins, I sometimes see them shotgunning rock pots, so not sure what's going on there.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:34:01 am »

Yeah, I do the civvie uniform thing occasionally later on in the fort's life, depending on various things - like do I really want to drive myself insane trying to keep these morons in shoes and socks.   :D  I keep winding up with forbidden flasks in various places, though. 
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 08:39:21 am »

I used to keep a moderate stockpile close to the still to reduce the pull time needed for my dwarves from production to storage. That has changed though, as it resulted in a massive bottlenecking in my craft area due to all my dwarves swarming there to get some refreshments.

These days, I keep stockpiles close to work areas, training grounds and relax areas, to allow my dwarves to get back to whatever they were doing without wasting tons of time trekking through the fort.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Iren

• Bay Watcher
  • I BREW THE BEER I DRINK
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:31:50 am »

I mass produce after I build the farm plots, usually have a couple of food and drink depots, one by the food industry area and another as close as possible to the dining hall.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 09:37:55 am »

Generally I have a main stockpile of food/booze (sometimes I'll split them and have them next to each other just so I can do an 'at a glance' check on supplies, sometimes not, depends on my mood).  I generally keep that in my soil or storage level.  Depending how far away my main hall is I often make a smaller food/booze stockpile near my main hall for drinking/eating and if I have any barracks that are farther away (often I'll have one up near the entrance and one down near the caverns) I keep some there so they aren't always racing back to eat/drink.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 09:46:22 am »

Wait, 22x22 is big?

Hm.  My stone stockpile must be gigantic then.... After hollowing out another level of magnetite, I have a... hell if I know, but it's definitely bigger thab 20x20 stockpile now.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 09:54:35 am »

Once you commit to having a stone stockpile, you've embarked on a dangerous journey. Better to not have one at all.

Anyway, I tend to centralize. My "Social/Administration" level (Dining Halls, Statue Gardens, Offices) is generally right above my "Food Production" level. Military is above that, with crafts starting below the food. Nobody has to walk very far, and it's easy to manage.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 09:57:24 am »

Well it was either that or make a garbage dump quantum stockpile... and for some reason garbage dump is EXTREMELY high on priorities lists so they often stop what they're doing to dump....

Locke

• Bay Watcher
  • Disregaurd Women, Apply Magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 10:00:57 am »

I sperated my food stockpiles from my booze stockpiles. And these are both seperated from Pigtails and other thread making plants. Only prepared food goes into the dining hall, along with a few barrels of each booze type. Flaming ‼URISTS‼ generaly end badly for my fort.
No, I am not Locke from Final Fantasy.
No, I am not Locke from Lost.
I'm from Ender's Game, Mofo.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 10:01:52 am »

All my processed food and booze goes into its own specific stockpile as close to the barracks and dining halls as possible. All the food and plants still to be made into meals/booze are stockpiled beside the stills/kitchens on the farming level.
Pages: [1] 2 3