Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How do you handle your booze?  (Read 6345 times)

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you handle your booze?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 10:06:25 am »

Near the dining room, prison, barracks, down at the magma smeltries there go small stockpiles. Sometimes I add food also but always in separate stockpiles. Seeds and unfinished products also get their own stockpiles, mainly because it all gets one big mess of uncontrollable over- and underproduction.

Sometimes I get a peculiar itch to taste of that stuff myself, except Dwarven wine.
Wine? No nonsense but sorry, please keep that for the hard times and pass the ale, there's a good chap.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 10:17:45 am »

Near the dining room, prison, barracks, down at the magma smeltries there go small stockpiles. Sometimes I add food also but always in separate stockpiles. Seeds and unfinished products also get their own stockpiles, mainly because it all gets one big mess of uncontrollable over- and underproduction.

Sometimes I get a peculiar itch to taste of that stuff myself, except Dwarven wine.
Wine? No nonsense but sorry, please keep that for the hard times and pass the ale, there's a good chap.

This is a very good point.  I had a few withered prisoners until I learned to use chains instead of cages for jails, and always have a 2x1 stockpile for booze, and separate 2x1 stockpile for food in each jailroom, right next to the chain.  "Feed/Give Water" is an alarmingly low priority task, as every hospital can attest to.  Assuming you want you criminals to live, of course  :P

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 10:22:01 am »

My prison is behind my food stockpile...
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 10:25:58 am »

My prison is behind my food stockpile...

That may help, but with mini stockpiles in each jail cell you ensure that the prisoner can feed/plaster themselves without relying on someone else to bring food/drink to them (Since often times nobody bothers with the 'give drink' task and they just die).

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 10:36:23 am »

I may be revising my strategy in light of the info that no one cares where they drink, but...

Currently, I have
(a) A special stockpile for booze near my general food stockpiles & food processing workshops.
(b) A stockpile in my elaborately engraved main dining room that draws from (a).
(c) A stockpile next to each chain in my prison that draws from (b).  The stockpile was created by blocking it out as one stockpile and then deleting portions so that, while disconnected, they function as one and can all draw from the same stockpile without conflict.

This is the pattern I used for prepared meals as well.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 10:59:44 am »

I may be revising my strategy in light of the info that no one cares where they drink, but...

Currently, I have
(a) A special stockpile for booze near my general food stockpiles & food processing workshops.
(b) A stockpile in my elaborately engraved main dining room that draws from (a).
(c) A stockpile next to each chain in my prison that draws from (b).  The stockpile was created by blocking it out as one stockpile and then deleting portions so that, while disconnected, they function as one and can all draw from the same stockpile without conflict.This is the pattern I used for prepared meals as well.

(c) is a very good headache-saving tip, I do it for whenever I want lots of smaller, identical stockpiles near each other.

The only other point I can think of to remember with booze, is that if you keep your dwarves drinking from barrels instead of flasks, I hear that they will target the 'fullest' barrel over the closest one.  This tends to be whatever barrel most recently got produced at the still.  Combine this with the quirk that dwarves will fill the oldest stockpile first instead of the nearest one, you can plan where to put your still / oldest booze stockpile accordingly, to be in a high traffic area.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 11:01:45 am »

Early on I just use two stockpiles: booze and food. Not counting seed and other not foodstuff stockpiles.

About year five I start to segregate my foodstuffs into four different stockpiles (as set my fort up for expansion). Plants only near my still. Prepared food. Unprepared food (not including plants) near my kitchens, and booze. I am thinking about segregating the kitchen stocks further, but need to finish the "roof over the world" mini-project before I start experimenting with that.

My fort also tends to be segregated into three different areas: upper, middle and lower. In each area I keep a 10X10 booze and a 10X10 prepared food stockpile (and use delivery chutes to drop food into the areas).

Then I have small (2X2 or 3X3) booze and prepared food stockpiles in my burrows that take from the nearest major stockpiles. I burrow like a mofo. Forge burrow, legendary craftsdwarf burrow(s), legendary mason burrow, food and textile industry burrow. Arguably the last one doesn't need much management to ensure they stay in food and booze.

There is a small amount of micro-management early on to make sure the stockpiles furthest from the food source get filled (usually involving un-designating portions of existing stockpiles and rotating "take from" orders) but once they are full I set 10 dwarves on food hauling only and they can keep up with the restocking operation.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 12:18:07 pm »

In my first fort, i had separate booze/food stockpiles in my legendary dining hall. after those were inevitably filled, i dug out a massive room deep within my fortress, next to my meeting area, and basically segmented it into two huge stockpiles, and a stockpile for food/booze containers.

In my current fortress, i have separate stockpiles for them in my food/booze production room, right next to my even more legendary dining hall. When those, also, inevitably filled up, i dug out an even more massive room to segment into two huge stockpiles, while keeping the containers in my center "everything else" stockpile.

When BulwarkDwellings eventually meets its end, i'm thinking i'm just gonna go straight to the "dig out massive hole to put food and drinks in" idea on my next fort, forgetting the two little starting ones that will be filled in less than a year anyway.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 09:13:55 pm »

I keep it below the mess hall.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 09:23:40 pm »

How do I handle booze? Q-B-R, then forget
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 09:25:48 pm »

Giant larder-'o-doom for me,  I don't bother to micromanage the exact placement of my 21k+ total units of food/drink I probably should start trading, I just make rock pots/r and dig out space to put it... at least, that's how my most advanced fort is going.  In one of my others, I'm trying to strategically place smaller piles, near the farther reaches of the fort (like magma industries), but really they're just set to "take from pile" from the big larder, and everything's just default food stockpiles.  If I used chains instead of cages for my prison, I'd probably have to deal with that.

You'd think this would make a lot of work for my bookkeeper, everything being a chaotic mess, but then the crazy little guy counts every stone in the mountain twice over, so I guess mixed food piles are child's play.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 09:52:28 pm »

I guess I never realized people did this differently... crazy me. I almost always have two stockpiles in separate rooms attached to the dining room - one for barrels of booze, and one for loose prepared meals. Prepared meals take up almost no space, and barrels in that stockpile tends to hide how much I have left.

when I started to care that dwarves just go over to a barrel and guzzle right there (not even taking it to a chair), I cut out the walls to the separate rooms, so on either side of my dining room there are two stockpiles - one for prepared food and one for booze barrels.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 10:24:25 pm »

I usually make a large meeting hall/dining room with a central waterfall, and flank it with a giant food stockpile on one side and an equally giant booze stock on the other. Smaller booze stockpiles can usually be found in the barracks and jail.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 12:36:53 am »

I used to seperate out food & booze, back when barrel availability was very very important.

Now with pots, not so much.  I like to, once I get enough dwarves, have more booze than food.  Also for variety, and many times I'll turn off brewing PHs. I'll have a stockpile/s near the entrance and around the dining room, and sometimes in the caverns or remote mining areas to stop any delays.

The multiple stockpiles by deleting method sounds good.  Must use it one day.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 06:43:18 am »

I keep it all in one stockpile. Perhaps I should have a few booze-only stocks scattered around the fortress. Whatevs. I play with a 30 population limit, so it's not like I run out of the stuff quickly. (Managing more than 30 dwarves for a prolonged period is a nightmare for me.)

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3