Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I love scarce minerals.  (Read 4419 times)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I love scarce minerals.
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 09:44:47 am »

To go back to the OP I am generally a fan of scarce minerals as well, in fact that bit of time towards the beginning of the new release when minerals and gems and such were everywhere was kind of a drag for me.  Its just too easy, and sure you can just "not use them" but its a bit harder with metals.  If I decide I don't like using cage traps I can just not use them, but I want to use some minerals, just not all, and that is where the issue comes in when I find tons of them at every level I dig through.

That said, I think the solution we have now is absolutely perfect.  Weirdos like me who want limited metal for the challenge of it can still have it, people who want more metal for whatever reasons can have more of it, and people who want to make megaprojects which require huge amounts can have tons of it.  Heck you can even set it to zero and have a stone-age style game where nobody (I assume) has metal.

I already limit myself where it comes to metal (I don't use magma to forge metal and I only use steel equipment that I find, rarely forge it myself) to increase challenge but its nice to have finding a useful metal feel like a 'boon', rather then an inevitability.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 11:32:24 am »

To go back to the OP I am generally a fan of scarce minerals as well, in fact that bit of time towards the beginning of the new release when minerals and gems and such were everywhere was kind of a drag for me.  Its just too easy, and sure you can just "not use them" but its a bit harder with metals.  If I decide I don't like using cage traps I can just not use them, but I want to use some minerals, just not all, and that is where the issue comes in when I find tons of them at every level I dig through.

That said, I think the solution we have now is absolutely perfect.  Weirdos like me who want limited metal for the challenge of it can still have it, people who want more metal for whatever reasons can have more of it, and people who want to make megaprojects which require huge amounts can have tons of it.  Heck you can even set it to zero and have a stone-age style game where nobody (I assume) has metal.

I already limit myself where it comes to metal (I don't use magma to forge metal and I only use steel equipment that I find, rarely forge it myself) to increase challenge but its nice to have finding a useful metal feel like a 'boon', rather then an inevitability.

This. 
The point of games isn't to just gives tons of items (Mario would not be as fun if coins, powerups, and 1ups just shot out of the ground at you constantly), but to have an effort and reward system, where things are valued by the player because of their rarity, or how hard it is to get them.  This is very evident from the way you very quickly get bored with any game once activating all the godmode cheats.  If you used a goldfarmer to instantly buy all the best gear in WoW, you may find that all the grinding you did to earn the next piece was actually the part that you enjoyed. 

It's the journey, not the destination, too much of a good thing and all that, etc.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 02:37:47 pm »

I've modded my metals to be more realistic, and I hope passive quality decay (rust) will be implemented in the future.
Old quality:
Adamantine, Steel, Iron, Bronze, Copper
Mine:
Adamantine, Carbon Steel, Tin Bronze, Arsenical Bronze, Pig Iron, Wrought Iron, Brass, Black Bronze, Copper.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 02:48:25 pm »

I've modded my metals to be more realistic, and I hope passive quality decay (rust) will be implemented in the future.
Old quality:
Adamantine, Steel, Iron, Bronze, Copper
Mine:
Adamantine, Carbon Steel, Tin Bronze, Arsenical Bronze, Pig Iron, Wrought Iron, Brass, Black Bronze, Copper.
I would love to see these raws!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 07:28:34 pm »

By quality do you mean bladed weapon quality or armor quality?
Soaplent green is goblins!

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 10:47:19 pm »

They were tested with a Short Sword, Shield, Helm, and Mail Shirt repeatedly in the arena. Each test batch had 25 vs 25 dwarves in a uniform formation. If results were too close, I'd run it again. I ran Brass VS Black Bronze 4 times (100 vs 100).
I'll try to get around to posting all the RAWS here.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 09:33:43 am »

Awesome, I would love to know the results when you find them.

And imgtfy?

Here: http://www.google.com/search?q=lmgtfy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a.

Okay, I'm not usually a total cad, but this was just a little too perfect.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.
Pages: 1 2 [3]