Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 159438 times)

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
Re: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)
« Reply #645 on: March 09, 2012, 04:25:32 pm »

wasnt there a dude who was writing this whole thing down in story form? How's that goin anyhow?

Late response, that was me. I lost interest in DF for a while and was sidetracked by more pressing writing assignments.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 09, 2012, 10:54:21 pm »

I'm glad this is Legendary for a purpose.  :P

Tiny question, DS: Do you plan on doing another one of these forts in the new version?

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 09, 2012, 11:29:49 pm »

Tiny question, DS: Do you plan on doing another one of these forts in the new version?

As a matter of fact, I've been planning something similar. I'm waiting for a few more bugfix releases before I begin, because it's going to be (as this one was) a long and involved process, of greater scope. At the moment, I'm just focusing on the megaproject aspect of it - the story will inevitably unfold, I suppose, as I play.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 09, 2012, 11:42:13 pm »

As a matter of fact, I've been planning something similar. I'm waiting for a few more bugfix releases before I begin, because it's going to be (as this one was) a long and involved process, of greater scope. At the moment, I'm just focusing on the megaproject aspect of it - the story will inevitably unfold, I suppose, as I play.
Glad to hear it, I always looked forward to logging in and reading the great labours of the Children of Dwarves.

Azri

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Fey Moods]
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 02, 2012, 09:10:45 pm »

Solom never could have completed her work. This much was fact- without argument. There simply wasn't enough time. Not, at least, for a mortal. She had begun it, true- but another would finish it. Others would finish it, with the ample time afforded by already being deceased. What began as a single script became a list of different styles and techniques used to write the following words- each undead wisp in turn taking the realm of the poltergeist to a whole new apex. There was one thing left unfinished, in the whole of Weatherwires. Unfinished, like their business. Unfinished, like many of their lives. Unfinished, like the hopes of the first dwarf who sent them all to this volcano in the hopes of a utopia.

Unfinished- but not for too long.

The ghosts were angry- sad- fearful... but they were Dwarves, with engravers among the damned.

And Dwarves struck the earth.

There would be no goblin ears to hear the clinking of chisel in many hands against smooth stone, each dead dwarf taking over for another when the energy lost in such an endeavor became too great. It was camaraderie- the very first example that Weatherwires had seen in decades, all to create a message that perhaps only one individual would ever see before the stone itself began to crumble away in time.

Dwarves struck the earth.

Ghosts remembered.

---

You should not be here. None of us should have been here, and you are no different- be you goblin, dwarf or human. None should never be here save perhaps the fungus-men we discovered and befriended so long ago- the ones that spirits whisper have been butchered.

Yes, spirits- Weatherwires is haunted, raider. Haunted with sorrow. Haunted with despair. Haunted with rage and anger. Haunted with fear. We saw these. Now, we are these- and you trespass upon our memories. You trespass in a place that will spell your demise, as it spelled ours. As it spelled the demise of the last intruders to ever glimpse this place- the goblins and trolls. Should you leave this place after glimpsing the legends within, never speak a word of it- sell not a word to any bidder, no toiled work we have constructed of blood, sweat, tears of adamantine to any merchant. They are all cursed, as we were. And if by some miracle the curse does not follow you and your ill-gotten gains from our prison, our tomb?

We will.

Remember only this, adventurer- marked by the gods as being no better than tilled soil for Buriedplagues's gardens, cursed into infertility by whatever hell this place was erected atop, having fought veritable wars against goblins and demons and beasts of the chasms, having been forced to rise from the grave and, in fits of madness, destroy the ones we came to love? We died. But we died as dwarves, and they could not take that from us any more than they could pry the Truesteel from our grip. We struck the earth, and the earth struck back- as it has always been, and always should be. Glory-seeker-

We Won.

---

What followed after the message was a list, of perhaps a hundred or more names each in a different script- some better-written than others. Among them are the names of one 'Ilral Visioncloistered', who records show to have died long before this missive could have possibly been engraved, judging by wear and tear on the stone. At the bottom was the handwriting of one 'Solom Townclenched', matching the first few words of the message as well as the last two. Archaeologists and adventurers alike believe it to be, at large, a practical joke as the ruins of old Weatherwires are continually excavated.

Or at least, they did- until they began killing each other.

Ilral never did sate his thirst for vengeance.

---

This is a Masterful Engraving created by (various). All engraving is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of dread and ominous foreshadowing. On the item is an image of Weatherwires in blood. On the item is an image of dwarves in adamantine. On the item is an image of Baros Buriedplagues in slade. On the item is an image of goblins in amber. Weatherwires is standing tall. The dwarves are stoic. Baros Buriedplagues's clawed hand forms the ground that the dwarves and the fortress Weatherwires is currently placed upon. The Goblins are running across Baros Buridplagues's arm towards the dwarves with weapons raised. The artwork relates to the fall of the fortress Weatherwires at the hand of Baros Buriedplagues and his goblin minions.
Currently: Writing Watchword.
Tips, criticism and appreciation (If you like it, lemme know!) should be posted in the thread, or PM'd to me.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 02, 2012, 09:42:28 pm »

This is awesome =) thanks for sharing = :)
I voted for BANANA!

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 03, 2012, 12:22:35 pm »

Very cool, Azri. Thanks for contributing! It's interesting to consider what human archaeologists might find, centuries after the fall of Weatherwires, when they finally manage to find a way in.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 04, 2012, 12:02:18 am »

Human? What about plump helmet people?

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 04, 2012, 01:12:01 am »

Assuming "Khan position in 3 seconds. 3. 2. 1.
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN~!~!~!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (slight spoilers)
« Reply #655 on: April 04, 2012, 03:38:10 am »

Wow, a fort where there isn't a lot of procreation.  Cool.  I'm guessing the title is an allusion for the movie, "Children of Men"?  Posting to watch, you will continue this right?  And tell us if, by some miracle, more children are born.
I instantly tought about that movie too! :D
(lol, reponse from the first page to 40 pages later :3 )
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:41:52 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rawb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 04, 2012, 12:36:32 pm »

What an amazing tale.

I'm so glad I took the time to read over the entire story, it's incredibly inspiring to me and my attempts at creating mountainhomes. This definitely needs to be in the hall of legends (I think that's what it's called).

Thanks for sharing it with us.

techieboy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 04, 2012, 03:04:35 pm »

I've spent the past two days at "work" reading through the entire thread... epic doesn't begin to describe the awesomness of this project / post

/internet high five to you DS

Elanorea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 04, 2012, 04:48:26 pm »

Oh man, that was an amazing story! It menaces with spikes of awesome!

Is it weird that I was absolutely heartbroken when the plump helmet men were killed?

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 04, 2012, 05:49:23 pm »

Oh man, that was an amazing story! It menaces with spikes of awesome!

Is it weird that I was absolutely heartbroken when the plump helmet men were killed?

not weird at all. I was having a jolly time while all the important dwarves were being splattered against walls, but when the goblins reached the mushroom people, I cried.

I think it reminded me of my first game of dwarf fortress that survived the first winter. After the first goblins arrived.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46