Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 159446 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)
« Reply #615 on: January 07, 2012, 05:39:48 pm »

That was one wild ride, thanks DS.  8)

I plan on arranging a few more adventurers, so you're not so completely hosed from the start (like you are in these two). I've already got a couple scenarios in mind (playing as the prince or a legendary warrior during the centennial, or on the other side as a demon, for example), but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them.
Cool. I'm going to try the plumphelmet woman first. And I like the idea of taking control of a warrior on the centennial.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 08, 2012, 02:10:52 pm »

Have a copy of earlier version, much earlier.
Then, make a sucession fort.
Profit.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 08, 2012, 05:24:37 pm »

Started playing as the last dwarf. It seems that not only are there ghosts surrounding me, but also a deity. Idrath Silverrocks, deity is standing right next to me. It only appears if I look at it with k, not with l. When I try to talk to it, the game crashes. this is strange. I'm gonna see if there's and engraving of it somewhere. After I kill all the  plumphelmet murderin goblins barehanded, of course.

EDIT: First course of action: find some dang crutches. The 288 speed is agonizing. I don't know where the hospital might be, but I'm gonna look.

EDIT2: FPS = 4. what the hell is taking all the processing?!

EDIT3: Oh god an ady statue of Id Fenceman coming back from the dead to murder people. I'm down in what I think is the second cavern layer. FPS is better. maybe because I left the ghosts.

EDIT4: OH GOD ITS TURU THE FORGOTTEN BEAST
       edit4.1 A great dimetrodon with lidless eyes. It has a short horn and it belches and croaks. Its chocolate scales are blocky and set far apart. Beware of its noxious secretions!
       edit4.2 It bit me by the lower body and shook me around, tearing the skin a little bit. how little is this thing?
       edit4.3 I bit it again. It tore a little bit of skin again. Im going to save, then try to run away.
       edit4.4 Running away seems to work well. In fact, the beast seems to be trying to kick me to my destination. I move a tile, then dodge one of its attacks another tile, usually in the right direction. Maybe I can use this beast as my crutch. Wrestling doesn't work at all with it, but the worst it ever does when it attacks me is chip the skin. I get a lot of messages like: Beast gores you in the hand, chipping the nail. I end up bleeding for a few frames at most.
       edit4.5: yay! I see a bucket. I'm gonna try to kill this beast with it.
       edit4.6 couldn't get the bucket. threw my axe at it. glanced off. I'm gonna try to swim away. It keeps on bruising my fat. Is it trying to say I'm overweight?
       edit4.7 Oh gawd swimming didn't work. started drowning right away. came up sputtering on the shore.
       edit4.8 I'm pale now. Am I going to die of a thousand scratches?
       edit4.9 almost half way to the hospital.... It seems to be even worse at killing me than a bogeyman.
EDIT 5: Im dead. seems the beast could kill me after all. only after fighting me for who knows how many tiles. I gotta try to kill it next time. or find another way to my destination.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:25:19 pm by Cellmonk »

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 08, 2012, 06:54:17 pm »

I tried playing as the helmet man and as the dwarf. Playing as the helmet man runs faster, purely because he can actually move faster than 300.

I wonder if you could do a save as the forgotten beast I ran into, Turu, or if there are any other forgotten beasts around, that might be interesting. Sort of a "reclaimed by the deeps" theme. It might also be a good thing for the less patient and skillful of us.

For now, I'm trying my plan B as the dwarf... I hope two 3z falls don't completely incapacitate me. Couldn't be worse than the FB, though.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 08, 2012, 07:01:12 pm »

ohgod

I should stop glancing at this thread and reading it!

I will try to escape on both saves... or at least look around the fort...

edit: with my little to no knowledge about the fort im wandering around what I think is an exit in the plump helmet save, I explored a little were goblins came from, too, thanks to my sneaking skill, now im just round a hall, I passed what seemed to be a comunal tomb.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:46:21 pm by raptorfangamer »
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

DarthMetool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 09, 2012, 12:05:54 am »

Do you have anyplace else to put the saves?  I tried both links and Norton tells me that a trojan virus is at both places.
Huh, city stuff?  Weird. http://city-ofdarth.myminicity.com

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 09, 2012, 08:34:47 am »

Norton and other antivirus will identify allot of things as viruses that arnt. usualy to do with the hack programns in lazy newb pack etc.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 09, 2012, 05:48:00 pm »

Do you have anyplace else to put the saves?  I tried both links and Norton tells me that a trojan virus is at both places.

I've heard of this sort of thing before. I'm probably going to upload the saves somewhere else eventually, since I can't have more than a single save uploaded in a single DFFD entry - two saves in a single file are over the limit for the site.

interesting. Sort of a "reclaimed by the deeps" theme. It might also be a good thing for the less patient and skillful of us.

Sure. Here are two more playable adventurers, the first of which is Osman the Puzzle of Poison - an enormous quadruped composed of yellow grossular. I decided to make this one playable - three of the four forgotten beasts are dimetrodons of some sort. The second is Commander Èzum Openeddoors the Robust Stoker of Lances.

As the forgotten beast, you begin in the caverns just to the north of the fortress. Since the dawn of time, Osman has wandered the depths of the world, bringing terror to all manner of creatures. When it found the dwarves, however, the legendary creature demonstrated unrivaled wisdom, and kept its distance. From a hidden vantage point on the fringes of the fortress, the Puzzle of Poisons watched the rise and fall of Weatherwires, waiting for the day when it would reclaim these caverns as its own. Now that the last dwarf has perished, it is time to cleanse your caverns of the taint of the surface world: make your way into the dome through the watery passages to your south, find the goblin interlopers, and slay them all.

Or, you can play as Èzum Openeddoors the Robust Stoker of Lances, militia commander of the Diamond Cloisters. In the midst of an ill-fated escape plan, orchestrated by Tun Dyefights, the merchant mayor of Weatherwires, a goblin siege has arrived and threatens to bring the fortress to its final ruin. The commander must find his way through the passages of the dome, defend the escaping merchants, and single-handedly destroy the entire siege.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 09, 2012, 06:31:14 pm »

NICE! those  are both beautiful sounding saves. Seems we have several skill levels for people to work with. And a lot of space for narrative.

So we now have 4 scenarios from which to explore and fight in weatherwires. I'm gonna give a shot at each of them.

Thanks for the ride so far, DS. You've got a knack for selection of detail, and creation of interest, two of the most ingrained attributes of a good writer, as well as steel patience and willpower. I look forward to seeing whatever you might plan on doing next. If you write, I'll be reading.

DarthMetool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 10, 2012, 01:40:46 am »

Been trying to get out in the plump helmet woman save.  Good grief this place is a maze!  :o  First try, I went full circle to the first stairwell I found.  :-[ That took me about 20 minutes of exploring, goblins rushing by me twice without so much as sneering in my direction, then finally making it to the control room.  Didn't realise that one at the time, since I thought I was stuck because of ghosts.  Second try, I made my way straight to the control room, then tried to attack the 'ghost.'  Turned out it was the last living dwarf sitting there blocking my way.  Yeah.  She parried and counterattacked.  Ouch.  Decided to sleep it off, but as soon as I confirmed sleep, the game crashed on me.  Thought I'd let people know about that one.  Still can't find my way out, dang it.  :'(

Good luck to anyone else trying it.  Gonna make attempt number three tomorrow.  I think I have some idea of where the exit is.
Huh, city stuff?  Weird. http://city-ofdarth.myminicity.com

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 10, 2012, 10:54:14 am »

You've inspired me to see it through to the end when a fort fails. Before, I'd just abandon whenever it was clear the fort was going to fail. It's actually rather interesting to watch.

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This, right here, has to be the most poignant image in this whole, epic tale. Solon lying still as the ghosts of the fortress look on, silent and watchful, mere echoes of what once was and what will never be known.
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

RogueSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 26, 2012, 06:03:15 am »

I am in awe.
I only found this thread last night (After delving exactly deep enough on the TVTropes Dwarf Fortress page - DS I hope you'll be pleased to know that you are the latest entry on the Dwarf Fortress Crowning Moments of Awesome page.

I hereby dedicate my next Fortress to the memory of Weatherwires. I give no guarantees that it will even make it past the first year (I am a decidedly newby player, having only run two fortresses previously - the last seeing two dwarves die dodging enraged badgers and drowning in the river in the first two months of the fortress) but for as long as I am able I shall continue it with the help and advice of more bearded friends - with the goal of building a giant, steel coil of twisted barbed wire in the circus. The fortress will be a conservative one by necessity until the breaching of hell. As the thread is 42 pages long at the time of this post, I think it fitting that I attempt to build it 42 squares in all directions.
Sure it's ambitious as hell, but how could any tribute to this not? And what if it works?

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 26, 2012, 03:16:58 pm »

I am in awe.
I only found this thread last night (After delving exactly deep enough on the TVTropes Dwarf Fortress page - DS I hope you'll be pleased to know that you are the latest entry on the Dwarf Fortress Crowning Moments of Awesome page.

Wow. That's pretty damn cool. Thanks for letting me know, haha.

I hereby dedicate my next Fortress to the memory of Weatherwires. I give no guarantees that it will even make it past the first year (I am a decidedly newby player, having only run two fortresses previously - the last seeing two dwarves die dodging enraged badgers and drowning in the river in the first two months of the fortress) but for as long as I am able I shall continue it with the help and advice of more bearded friends - with the goal of building a giant, steel coil of twisted barbed wire in the circus. The fortress will be a conservative one by necessity until the breaching of hell. As the thread is 42 pages long at the time of this post, I think it fitting that I attempt to build it 42 squares in all directions.
Sure it's ambitious as hell, but how could any tribute to this not? And what if it works?

Knock yourself out, man. It's a pleasure to find people still inspired by this thread, weeks after it's actually ended. The best advice I can give is that the only way to learn how to successfully pull off a megaproject of that size is to do it. I unsuccessfully attempted something similar to Weatherwires at least twice before things worked out. I look forward to watching your efforts.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 26, 2012, 04:12:16 pm »

wasnt there a dude who was writing this whole thing down in story form? How's that goin anyhow?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 46