Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 159468 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves/THE END IS NIGH (spoilers)
« Reply #375 on: December 04, 2011, 06:16:21 pm »

this is the first thread i check everyday when i wake up and the last one before i go to bed.
i wish i could send a party to help.

Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 04, 2011, 08:10:04 pm »

I would if:

a. I could handle the Circus.
b. If I had actually gotten flammable artifacts.
c. If building a dome was easier.

Also, sorry if I seem too demanding and jerkish.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:17:34 pm by Mapleguy555 »

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 04, 2011, 10:12:23 pm »

Demanding, a little, but jerkish, not at all.

A comes with experience and planning, B comes with with time and luck, and C... well, yeah, C is just kind of ridiculous. I'm fairly sure most people who see the pictures in the first post think, "Hmm, that's cool looking," and move onto the next thread, without understand just how much of an achievement it is. Individually designating layered circles with diameters calculated to look like an actual dome in a visualizer is tedious, to say the least.

Also, the combination of approaching finals and an abysmal framerate may reduce the frequency of actual updates. Just a forewarning.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 04, 2011, 10:22:59 pm »

Actually, A is killed off by FPS death.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 04, 2011, 10:37:29 pm »

Demanding, a little, but jerkish, not at all.

A comes with experience and planning, B comes with with time and luck, and C... well, yeah, C is just kind of ridiculous. I'm fairly sure most people who see the pictures in the first post think, "Hmm, that's cool looking," and move onto the next thread, without understand just how much of an achievement it is. Individually designating layered circles with diameters calculated to look like an actual dome in a visualizer is tedious, to say the least.

Also, the combination of approaching finals and an abysmal framerate may reduce the frequency of actual updates. Just a forewarning.

I so get what you mean about circles being a lot of effort for little recognition - it feels like those who have actually attempted construction megaprojects belong to their own select club that understands the toil of other fellow creators.

Congrats to you for sticking it through; I myself only completed one circular coliseum before I decided that I would make my cities of squares and crosses instead for the same impression of epicness but less effort.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 05, 2011, 03:55:44 am »

Posting to note how epic this is and how ignorant was I of the existance of this.

On Megaproject domes [and other circular works], they are not easy to build, they are not easy to shape, it takes a lot of work to even get a simple curve right. Its like viewing a palace for a king, grand but the architecture is mostly taken as eye candy. And that the visualizer is zoomed out to see the entirety of the thing is also taken in.

I love how the dome was made and even the caverns that shaped it. Math wins here, even if many hate it  :D

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 05, 2011, 11:09:41 am »

Without warning, one of the accursed vomit fiends stuck directly against the base of the stairwell itself. If any dwarf had seen it coming, they would have met it at the edge, or just outside of the curtain wall - but somehow, it managed to penetrate the primary defense. With a violent huff, similar in spirit, no doubt, to the formation of the creature, the green monster filled the interior of the curtain wall with a buffet of deadly vomit dust.

In a single blast of its breath (if you could even call it that), two dwarves are killed and four others injured. Id Whisperstrongs, one of the Quakedented recruits, and Shorast Towndye, last of the Bookpuzzled clan, perish when they are thrown against the steel curtain wall headfirst. As the surviving military bears down upon the blob of vomit, another deadly green cloud rises to the north - the fiend did not come alone.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mercifully, the attack is resolved without further injuries - the warriors destroy the monster who had already attacked, and the one in the north dies to a blast of its own vapor. Injuries suffered, however, render the military effectively defeated. A few dwarves, including the prince himself, suffered several broken bones. All those who took part in the battle, however, suffer from a kind of chronic dizziness - likely a result of exposure to some terrible contaminant brewed in the cornucopia of bile in the interior of the green monsters. Every dwarf suffering from dizziness has left his post to rest in the infirmary, leaving the entrance to the fortress, and the construction of the temple in hell completely undefended.

A squad was kept in reserve for just this occasion. The Silvery Princesses, who have been training in the dome for years, are finally given the order to make the descent. Led by Ézum Openeddoors the Robust Stoker of Lances, and the other three members are of no small note: Nomal Biglabors the Lush Convent of Dwelling, last of the lashdwarves, now wields an adamantine shortsword with equally deadly skill; Érith Minedtribe, one of the only two surviving dwarves of the once mighty and prolific Gearguild clan; and of course, Cog 'Murdershot' Archwayward, recently elected mayor, daughter of the duke Kogsak Murdershot and queen of Weatherwires.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:03:23 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 05, 2011, 01:21:49 pm »

DS I've missed some posts, what are you planning to do in hell?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 05, 2011, 02:51:10 pm »

Dine.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 05, 2011, 04:17:03 pm »

Why can't my fortresses be that epic?

Mine always die by tantrum spiral or lack of a decent military+Siege, not epic final death-or-glory missions into the circus itself.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 05, 2011, 06:19:21 pm »

DS I've missed some posts, what are you planning to do in hell?

Currently I'm in the process of constructing... a sort of monument. I'm not sure the dwarves will be able to complete it before the HFS, like a sick body killing off an invading virus, destroys them.

Dine.

Since there are food and drink stockpiles for the military, I suppose they have been dining in hell, yeah. [/anticlimax]

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 06, 2011, 12:49:10 am »

While throwing a tantrum over the death of his siblings, the axedwarf Athel Standtorch of clan Quakedented stormed into the apartments of the Thunderbridge clan, and beheaded Fath Tightnessdyes while he slept in his tunnel tube bed.

Urvad Pagekissed, last of the Thunderbridge clan, was the most skilled speardwarf in the Grooved Book-Volcanos when Libash Dippedurns succumbed to infection. Urvad has been appointed to the rank of commander. Hopefully her lame leg will not prevent her from excelling in combat - who knows? Perhaps her legendary skill at crutch-walking will do some good.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 06, 2011, 12:03:57 pm »

In the deeps, the sudden appearance of Salt Ghosts - enormous, jagged-toothed lizards comprised entirely of desiccating mineral - forces the military into action to defend the progress the dwarves have made upon the monument. The dignified hammers strike down the interloper without difficulty.

Meanwhile, in the infirmary, far away from the clash of combat and the neverending howl of infernal wind, Asmel Deathchannels, son of Kogsak Murdershot and prince of Weatherwires, succumbs to the infection of wounds inflicted upon him by the biliious fiends. He lived in the fortress his entire life - nearly a hundred years - and knew nothing else.

When his sister, the only surviving member of the royal family, learns of his passing, her mood hardly changes. She merely shrugs it off and returns to sparring. The dwarves of the Merchant of Echoing have long become accustomed to tragedy, and the Murdershots are no exception to this. So it goes, in Weatherwires.

Asmel Spiralropes, recently appointed manager, and also the only dedicated herbalist the fortress has had since anyone can remember, carries the prince's body to his tomb atop Murdershot citadel. It is the first time since the queen's death that any dwarf has trod that ground. The entire precipice is overgrown with untended mushroom trees and dense fungal groundcover.

He is laid to rest in the artifact coffin on the eastern edge of the tomb - Glossrivers.

The Royal Fortresses are disbanded, and the Quakedented children assigned to train under the tutelage of commander Urvad Pagekissed. The queen takes account - 76 dwarves remain. Construction continues.

EDIT: Shortly thereafter, one of the merchants was attacked by a lone crundle, which managed to tear his throat out and kill him. The crundle has been named Dedukducim by the dwarves, but I can't see the translation just yet, since he got caught in a cage trap. I've got scads of trapped crundles. 75 dwarves remain.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:22:46 pm by DS »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 06, 2011, 12:16:54 pm »

Dine.
Spoiler: Don't look (click to show/hide)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 46