Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-cycling repeating workshop job  (Read 1337 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Non-cycling repeating workshop job
« on: September 14, 2011, 11:34:22 pm »

Repeating workshop jobs are sent to the bottom of a workshop's job list once done so that other jobs in the list get a chance of getting completed, and so if there's multiple repeating jobs it cycles between them.  There should be some way of modifying a repeating job so that it doesn't cycle, and will sit at the top of the workshop's job list until it gets canceled.

This would be useful for setting a kitchen up to cook as many space-saving meals as possible: set up a non-cycling repeating "cook lavish" meal job, then a "cook fine meal", then "cook easy meal".  The kitchen would cook as many lavish meals as possible, then cook a fine or easy meal depending on how many ingredients were left.  The same objective could be achieved by adding a "cook as large a meal as possible" task to kitchens, but a non-cycling repeating job would be a general solution which could be used in other workshops.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-cycling repeating workshop job
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 11:38:08 pm »

Just FYI, if you don't have four pieces of food left for a lavish meal then you can only complete ONE of the other TWO jobs, at best.

Also, it doesn't actually save space.  In fact, it wastes it.

20 (fits in a barrel) of booze
5 plump helmets
10 (fits in a bag, of which 20 fit in a barrel) sugar
10 flour

results in a lavish meal in a stack of 45.

Which does not fit in a barrel.

rampaging-poet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 11:57:07 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that stack of 45 meals take up one space in the stockpile as opposed to four barrels of ingredients, which would both save space and free up barrels? Even counting the fact you don't free all four barrels every time, you still free one barrel each time from the booze, another barrel from the plump helmets every four meals, and two more for the sugar and flour every twenty, for a total of 1 + .25 + .05 + .05 = 1.35 barrels freed per lavish meal cooked, which does indeed save space.
Lame excuse? 'Having a drink instead' is the dwarfiest reason to not get something done, short of accidentally flooding your home with magma. Or intentionally flooding your home with magma.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 12:01:46 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that stack of 45 meals take up one space in the stockpile as opposed to four barrels of ingredients, which would both save space and free up barrels? Even counting the fact you don't free all four barrels every time, you still free one barrel each time from the booze, another barrel from the plump helmets every four meals, and two more for the sugar and flour every twenty, for a total of 1 + .25 + .05 + .05 = 1.35 barrels freed per lavish meal cooked, which does indeed save space.

Consider the remaining 19 bags of sugar and flour.  Each of which, at best, will make up 5 meals each, taking up 10 tiles instead of 2.

The plump helmets and booze are outliers, although in different directions.

Plump helmets, as they always come in stacks small enough to fit in a barrel

And booze, because it can come in stacks that can't fit in a barrel but do (i.e. a stack of 45).