Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: I need a new space station 13 server.  (Read 12602 times)

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
Re: I need a new space station 13 server.
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 05:30:37 pm »

It's not. Anyone who claims to have been chastised for a ridiculous reason is almost certainly making it up because they're shit. Anyway, there's no rule saying you have to like BS12, so keep the hate out of everything, tia.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 07:08:18 pm »

I agree with most of the baystation hate. Baystation was founded on a kind of Dwarf Fortress in Space ideal, and since then has migrated to mods which enforce roleplay, when roleplay is supposed to occur spontaneously. When everyone is actually roleplaying being a cog in a functional machine it's not very fun. Deviation from the norm and creativity is pretty hated or something, and it's ridiculous in the worst way. Personally I play on /tg/station for its mix of roleplay and the silliness that ss13 is all about. I think if the penny arcade server is still around it'll fit what you want, if /tg/station doesn't.
I agree with this, and its one of the main reasons I eventually decided to leave, Baystation 12 stopped being fun when rounds started going > 2hrs and a large number of people making it to the shuttle became common.

I wouldn't mind starting up a new server that is along those lines, but meh, political crap and the like.
I really really wish I could play SS13 like the old days of BS12

I'll admit I was never one for a huge amount of silliness, but I do miss the days of a traitor being able to create a bomb that would take out most of the station
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:14:10 pm by Googolplexed »

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 08:08:14 pm »

You don't want those insolent fools using YOUR antiques, do you?
INORITE?

Do you have the penny arcade server address?

I agree with most of the baystation hate. Baystation was founded on a kind of Dwarf Fortress in Space ideal, and since then has migrated to mods which enforce roleplay, when roleplay is supposed to occur spontaneously. When everyone is actually roleplaying being a cog in a functional machine it's not very fun. Deviation from the norm and creativity is pretty hated or something, and it's ridiculous in the worst way. Personally I play on /tg/station for its mix of roleplay and the silliness that ss13 is all about. I think if the penny arcade server is still around it'll fit what you want, if /tg/station doesn't.
I agree with this, and its one of the main reasons I eventually decided to leave, Baystation 12 stopped being fun when rounds started going > 2hrs and a large number of people making it to the shuttle became common.

I wouldn't mind starting up a new server that is along those lines, but meh, political crap and the like.

I'll admit I was never one for a huge amount of silliness, but I do miss the days of a traitor being able to create a bomb that would take out most of the station

I agree with this.

Edit: I'm on the D2station13 serv...it's a ghost town. No one on.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:16:29 pm by Zaphod »
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 08:18:39 pm »

I shall say a few things.
1.) Why are there so many SS13 threads in the Other Games forum. Can't the discussion all stay in one thread?  ???

2.)
Elitism has gotten rampant on Baystation, unfortunately. Which is a shame, because elitism kills a good roleplay.
As far as I remember, elitism has been around in BS12 for QUITE a long time. Crazy politics and the like are quite off-putting, at times.

3.)

Oh, I miss the old BS12, too, although I can't even really try the new one due to lack of a nice computer.

And a little bit of silly is needed for SS13 to stay awesome, I think. The crazy enforced roleplay on BS12 was/is likely a large part of why people don't die like they used to. That, and the chemicals nerf. Chems were...useless except for metal foam for mechanics reasons. (to fill in air gaps, ect) ;)

And what do you mean you can't make epic bombs anymore? That whole process was one of the funnest things to do as a traitor, especially if you could make a suicide vest that would take out the station. Alternatively, a bomb that spews out noxious gas while you wear your pretty gas mask and walk on by. And then you cry when all the security already has on gas masks, too.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 09:39:38 pm »

I play on goonstation as well, and find the experience very enjoyable. It's just not space station 13 without the antics of how silly/ridiculous goonstation is. I think it's just hte way the game should be. A serious version would be interesting I'm sure, but it can't be fascist serious. This game isn't built for that.

Besides how else would you get such amazing stories.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 10:32:44 pm »

I agree with you Vherid. I'm looking for some thing between the too extremes.
I only play legends mode

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 12:04:49 am »

Haven been a BS12 admin, I can see where your coming from with the insults and elitism. Twas' why I left.

I suggest TG. Is nice and the mods wont go nuts for cracking a joke about a traitor. O_o

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2011, 12:26:36 am »

I also find TG the best middle ground between the pile of (literal) crap that is goonstation and the strictly-controlled-filled-with-crazy-admins baysation.

Edit: Also

Anyone who claims to have been chastised for a ridiculous reason is almost certainly making it up because they're shit.

keep the hate out of everything, tia.

Good job.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:28:15 am by Criptfeind »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2011, 01:13:51 am »

Any time a problem with Baystation is brought up, you will invariably see somebody rush in to block reasonable discussion on the issue with "Ehh, I don't believe you, you must be a bad player". It's been a year and a half since I first started playing, and I played many, many games at times when I wasn't busy with real life (as I am now, which prevents me from going on), and whenever I tried to discuss the problems we had, this has always been the impediment. Thankfully, the truly awful admin who will remain nameless but used to threaten to ban me if I started a discourse on how security should be played is long gone. Unfortunately, the admin team is a varied bunch, not always connected by personal friendships (having been recruited seperately for their coding skills or their friendships with people who have since retired). This leads to things like certain admins banning you for first infractions or even minor disagreements (while the others did nothing because of the belief that all individuals receiving a ban obviously deserving it), while others play obnoxious tropicana music through the server and state that if you don't like it, you should just turn off the sound effects (really, an admin has done this!).

There are a lot of fun rounds on there, though, and much of the admin team really is great. I still recommend everybody try it at least once or twice. I only wish I knew exactly when certain admins were generally online so I could suggest what time to try.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2011, 03:56:28 am »

Well, I'm never on, so you should be safe~
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2011, 10:52:30 am »

Every one keeps suggesting TG to me. Saying it's the middle ground.

I don't know why they keep saying that? I logged on the other day as janitor and then began my rounds. There were 70+ people logged on. It was pure chaos the whole round (played 3 rounds to see if that was common). I was cleaning up blood and vomit every where. Also grafitti. I cam across one man scrawling in giant letters on the floor in crayon, and please excuse my language but this is a quote; "Fuck niggers get money!". I immediately started to clean it. He then started a fist fight with me, that I was initially winning. In a crowded hallway with alot of pedestrian traffic. A few people stopped to watch most ignored us. I then knocked him out and hit him a few times for good measure. Got up and started to get back to work. He then got up, beat me with a crow bar until i nearly died. Mugged me and left me naked in the corridor and no one tired to do anything to stop him.
I tried to report him to the sec guards but they didn't seem to care. A few minutes latter the pods were called.

Not really my kind of server unless this is out side of the norm for TG..
I only play legends mode

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2011, 11:14:20 am »

I'm not sure why people say /tg/ is a middle ground either.  It really isn't.  If you had to put BS12, /tg/ and Goon on a line indicating server style it would look something like this:

Roleplaying|----------BS12------------------------------------------------/tg/--Goon-|Powergaming

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2011, 11:15:04 am »

Every one keeps suggesting TG to me. Saying it's the middle ground.

I don't know why they keep saying that? I logged on the other day as janitor and then began my rounds. There were 70+ people logged on. It was pure chaos the whole round (played 3 rounds to see if that was common). I was cleaning up blood and vomit every where. Also grafitti. I cam across one man scrawling in giant letters on the floor in crayon, and please excuse my language but this is a quote; "Fuck niggers get money!". I immediately started to clean it. He then started a fist fight with me, that I was initially winning. In a crowded hallway with alot of pedestrian traffic. A few people stopped to watch most ignored us. I then knocked him out and hit him a few times for good measure. Got up and started to get back to work. He then got up, beat me with a crow bar until i nearly died. Mugged me and left me naked in the corridor and no one tired to do anything to stop him.
I tried to report him to the sec guards but they didn't seem to care. A few minutes latter the pods were called.

Not really my kind of server unless this is out side of the norm for TG..
That actually is fairly decent compared to some of my rounds.

Once I was security (I got autoassigned, and was the only one other than HoS) during a space ninja round. I was chasing the ninja, the HoS and Captain were sipping coffee in the middle of the hallway. We passed them FIVE times, then when the ninja was cornered, bleeding, had radium poisoning, and with no power, I headed towards him with my taser gun. I had taken all of his items except the shoes, gloves, and exosuit (He got up mid-strip and tele'd), so the AI was on my side. He was trapped, and I was surely about to make it. I grinned as the mass murderer and kidnapper cowered in fear. I raised my gun and... BLAM! The captain had shot me with his energy gun. Him and the HoS were now beating me to death with stun batons and energy guns. I asked them for an explanation, and they were silent. Captain left and let the HoS beat me, and came with more coffee. The captain finished his coffee, and took his shift. I died, and adminhelped it.

No one answered. Asked in OOC and everyone was going "IC IN OOC U R G@Y!".

God fucking damn them all.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2011, 11:42:38 am »

I'm not sure why people say /tg/ is a middle ground either.  It really isn't.  If you had to put BS12, /tg/ and Goon on a line indicating server style it would look something like this:

Elitism|----------BS12------------------------------------------------/tg/--Goon-|Asshattery

Fixed
I only play legends mode

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2011, 02:02:21 pm »

Elitism|----------BS12------------------------------------------------/tg/--Goon-|Asshattery

Fixed

Agreed.
Really, SS13 is SUPPOSED to be crazy and dangerous. If someone isn't doing something disruptive, and the condition goes on for half an hour, the round would become boring.

I don't see a problem with long-ish rounds, but yeah, BS12 has REALLY long and uneventful rounds sometimes.

SS13 should never be uneventful.

There should always be either:
an immediate threat to the station
a pending threat to the station
mad ‼Science‼
a rescue mission
or a major cooperative project

Looking at the wiki, /tg/ looks really good. I just have trouble catching it with people on. I'll try again soon.
Anything that has a RnD list including "LBX AC/20 Scattershot" is for me. Mining, Robotics and RnD sound fun, especially mixed! Mecha for everyone!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5