Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: 11th of September, 2001  (Read 5431 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: 11th of September, 2001
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 07:35:25 pm »

I was 10, in fifth grade.  The teacher came in and said two planes had hit the world trade center, one hit the pentagon, and one hit camp david.  She said it was an accident (I still don't know how she could've thought something like that was an accident  One plane sure, but four?).  Then recess started and we could go or we could stay and watch the news.  Only two went to recess and they were the class delinquents so nobody was surprised.  A kid I know said he thought Iraq did it.
Shoes...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2011, 07:36:41 pm »

I was in second grade.

Congrats.  You just made me feel old.

You damn kids, get off my lawn! I was hunting for a job.

I don't know if this makes me a horrible, unpatriotic, heartless bastard, but I was really hoping that the grieving process mentioned earlier would be over by now. We didn't celebrate the ten year anny of Three Mile Island, or Hurricane Andrew, or any other disaster. Hell, the most recent wave of hurricanes and wildfires will be out of the average American's thought processes in less than a month, if they weren't directly affected. I don't honestly understand why we keep dragging this tragedy and the people affected by it back into our field of view. Sure, we never really got to "Mission Accomplished", and we probably never will...but we need to let go as a nation if we are to ever truly heal.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2011, 07:41:49 pm »

Just to defy all those who say "everyone will remember where they were when they heard it," my brain has decided to place it in my 3rd grade classroom. 3rd grade me walks into the class wondering (basically) why everyone's flipping their shit. However, chronologically, it should have been when I was in 1st grade. Hrm.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 07:43:13 pm »

At that age, stuff gets confused.  I've got some blended memories like that myself, don't worry about it.

Sure, we never really got to "Mission Accomplished", and we probably never will...but we need to let go as a nation if we are to ever truly heal.

Not that celebrating a man's death is every a good thing, but if nothing else, Osama bin Laden is accounted for.

I've been thinking about that lately.  After September 11th, I heard his name a couple of times and I got curious.  A few days later, I was in the library and looked up his name on Yahoo - at there time there were only a few thousand returns instead of dozens of millions.  One of the first was for a book that I got addicted to reading, then I got a new version in print a couple years later.  My mother thought that was a sign that I should major in Political Science, and the rest is history.

In a small way, 9/11 kinda made me who I am, if not through any particularly poignant means.  That in mind, I think it's odd how little I think about it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 07:47:20 pm »

It's a lot different from Pearl Harbor in a lot of ways.  I'm pretty much over it but I can see why a lot of people would still think it's a huge deal.  Pearl Harbor was during a war, even if we weren't fighting in that war.  It was on a military base.  It was a military attack.  We could go all gung-ho Captain America and beat the shit out of the people who did it. This was completely different, an unprovoked attack out of nowhere that killed thousands of innocent people, committed by a faceless enemy that couldn't be beaten with traditional American asskicking.  All those horrible pictures and videos of fire and destruction and people jumping out of windows, that shit's traumatizing and when it's so unexpected like this it can make you never feel truly safe again.  The fact that the wars everyone expected to vindicate have been bad and that Al Qaeda is still operating just makes it worse.

I think eventually it'll be like Pearl Harbor, an important historical event but not something you still cry about.  It'll just take a while.
Shoes...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2011, 08:10:35 pm »

I wasn't commenting on the strength of the emotion about Pearl Harbor so much as the type of emotion on display.  Nobody ever talked about the sacred ground zero of Pearl Harbor and how we shouldn't let Japanese people do anything it AFAIK.  People made songs about Pearl Harbor that were calls to action while people made songs about 9/11 that were about the pain it evoked.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2011, 08:26:14 pm »

I was six. My mom woke me up (I was living on the other side of the world) to watch the TV. I didn't grasp at the time what had just happened.

It will be remembered in the american psyche better than pearl harbor though.  It was an attack on civilians, using a civilian vehicles to blow up more civilians. It wasn't an act of war, it was an act of terrorism. It wasn't meant to cripple America, it was meant to show that we're vulnerable, that there's a crack in the armor, that we're not invincible.

I still wonder if they at least partially succeeded.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2011, 08:41:28 pm »

I was in grade one or two, and the teacher gave us some vague explanation about it.

What I wish they had done was built them exactly the same, only with a giant "Fuck you" painted on top.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2011, 08:46:09 pm »

I wasn't commenting on the strength of the emotion about Pearl Harbor so much as the type of emotion on display.  Nobody ever talked about the sacred ground zero of Pearl Harbor and how we shouldn't let Japanese people do anything it AFAIK.  People made songs about Pearl Harbor that were calls to action while people made songs about 9/11 that were about the pain it evoked.
Well, I don't think anyone tried to build a kabuki theater anywhere near Pearl Harbor but I see your point. Then again, it's really hard to say what the reaction to Pearl Harbor was a decade later without asking someone who was alive at the time. I know people were furious about it, but that's about it. The emotional response was less crying eagles and more retaliatory, but again, 9/11 was an attack on civilians and it wasn't immediately obvious who we should retaliate against.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 08:47:25 pm »

I didn't know of it until about 4 or 5 years later. By then, I didn't really care at all.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2011, 08:54:46 pm »

I was 19 and angsting over an unrequitted love or somesuch nonsense, so I couldn't be bothered about another terrorist attack half a world away, even if this time it was not the usual not-Western country.
The angst went away with time, but I still can't bring myself to understand people who say that 9/11 "changed the way we think about the world", as I keep hearing in the news. I'd happily sign my name under a statement saying that what USA had been doing after 9/11 changed the way we think about USA.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2011, 08:56:23 pm »

At that age, stuff gets confused.  I've got some blended memories like that myself, don't worry about it.

Sure, we never really got to "Mission Accomplished", and we probably never will...but we need to let go as a nation if we are to ever truly heal.

Not that celebrating a man's death is every a good thing, but if nothing else, Osama bin Laden is accounted for.

I disagree.

In fact, I've even celebrated the deaths of people orders of magnitude less evil than Bin Laden.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2011, 09:25:11 pm »

Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2011, 09:46:31 pm »

Maybe it is different for those who live in New York, and had to deal with an empty ground zero.
Thank you based dwarf.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2011, 09:52:29 pm »

6th grade, eleven years old.  It was playing on the TV as I left the house and walked with my mom down to the bus stop; back then, my cousin and her girlfriend were living with her kitten in my room for a month, so I slept in a closet.  They were the ones who had gotten up to watch TV.  I was kind of hustled out of the house, and I saw pretty much no footage of the event thereafter because I didn't watch TV myself, in general.  The bus was basically empty, so for once I didn't have to sit in the back... there were maybe three kids on it, and I ended up being one of the only kids in my class, too.  We made a big deal of saying the Pledge of Allegiance like we usually had to every single damned morning.

I mostly remember anniversary things with local popular girls making tear-filled speeches, and one of my friends asking her boyfriend out on 9/11 of last year and thus cementing my annoyance with the day for the next, oh, long while.

It wasn't a very important day for me or anyone else I know.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6