Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Vengeful Mafia 9: DAY 2: SCUM stumbles (4/5)  (Read 27149 times)

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vengeful Mafia 9: DAY 1: Welcome to TOWN (5/5)
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2011, 08:48:41 pm »

I assumed that when you said there were two townies with two votes, that there were two townies with two votes each on them, for a total of four votes cast, one of which would be my own.

I see, I should have been clearer, one townie with two other townies voting for them.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2011, 09:01:29 pm »

In that case, the final townie would be hesitant to hammer because he'd be hammering himself.

If I thought the case on the townie was good, I'd ask everybody where their suspicions were, and then wait a reasonable amount of time, and then possibly hammer.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2011, 09:13:06 pm »

In that case, the final townie would be hesitant to hammer because he'd be hammering himself.

Herp, I guess I can't count.

Anyway, noted.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2011, 09:31:25 pm »

Thinking up more RVS questions with such a small group is tough, but I'm not seeing anything yet to start looking at.

Do you have an idea of what you're looking for?

Maybe?  I've never played a vengeful mafia before, but I'm working under the assumption RVS works the same way: we ask questions, look for something to start a conversation, and then move on to real suspicions.  I'm just..I guess not as sure how to proceed when I've only got four people to question.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2011, 09:36:18 pm »

Thinking up more RVS questions with such a small group is tough, but I'm not seeing anything yet to start looking at.

Do you have an idea of what you're looking for?

Maybe?  I've never played a vengeful mafia before, but I'm working under the assumption RVS works the same way: we ask questions, look for something to start a conversation, and then move on to real suspicions.  I'm just..I guess not as sure how to proceed when I've only got four people to question.

You're telling me that you can't think of ANYTHING to ask anyone that might be relevant?

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2011, 09:52:55 pm »

No, I'm saying I'm having a harder time than normal.  I just got home, give me a minute.  I just finished typing a reply in another game, after all.
On the Nature of Dwarves

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2011, 10:01:53 pm »

You're telling me that you can't think of ANYTHING to ask anyone that might be relevant?

I'm actually a bit stumped because everyone's answers seem sound, so there doesn't seem to be anything to build suspicion from.

Let's see...

Shark: IS there a reason...
you're ignoring IronyOwl?

Jim:
Stroking your ego here, Jim?  Or trying to find out if I'm scum (and therefore afraid) or town (and therefore not)?

Yes.

Is this really a valid scumhunting tactic?  Did you expect to gain anything of use from asking me if I was afraid of you here?

Irony Owl: Haven't heard much from you since you asked me a question last.  Does this game seem to be moving slower than usual for a Vengeful?  If yes, do you think that says anything about the composition of scum/town players?

Native: Same question as above, minus the not hearing as much part.
On the Nature of Dwarves

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2011, 10:15:17 pm »

Compared to the other Vengefuls I've been in, this one is only moving slightly slower, but I think that has more to do with just getting over a weekend than the actual players in it.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2011, 10:19:06 pm »

Is this really a valid scumhunting tactic?  Did you expect to gain anything of use from asking me if I was afraid of you here?

It's perfectly valid, it just really, really sucks.

If you had answered yes, I'd have more to question and/or badger you about. But since it was completely transparent what I was doing, it never would have amounted to anything.

Why did you ask? Do you have a problem with me grasping at straws if I can't find any useful avenue of questioning on any particular player?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2011, 12:07:08 am »

It's perfectly valid, it just really, really sucks.

If you had answered yes, I'd have more to question and/or badger you about. But since it was completely transparent what I was doing, it never would have amounted to anything.

Why did you ask? Do you have a problem with me grasping at straws if I can't find any useful avenue of questioning on any particular player?

No, I wanted to hear you say it was grasping at straws (it is, after all).  Much like your sucky effort on me, this was an attempt to see if you'd say something stupid that I could badger YOU about.  Instead, we're going nowhere fast.
On the Nature of Dwarves

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2011, 04:29:10 am »

Less likely, perhaps.  Scum players, even bad ones, are always wary of being caught doing something scummy.  Still, I think it's quite likely they'll do it.  It's dangerous, but that doesn't mean any given scum player won't fuck it up when they do.  If a scum player honestly believes they have a slam dunk of a case when they hammer, they may believe they've just ensured they won't be hit by the vengekill.  It doesn't mean they're right, of course.
This seems contradictory. Are scum less likely to hammer, or are they probably going to hammer?

I really hate the idea of meta voting. I'm in a game on another board where meta voting ruined day 1.
This seems fishy. Why wouldn't you just say "It'll help because people will look at me and not flail at my meta" in the first place?

IronyOwl, when would you hammer a player?
When I was convinced that they needed to die. That's a fairly generic answer, but there basically comes a point at which someone's either scum, your best guess at scum, or in the way.

IronyOwl: If you got yourself hammered and flipped town, how would you determine who to vengekill?
Well, I'd start with my suspects from prior to getting hammered, of course. I'd then factor in how everyone reacted during my lynch, probably looking most for passive/cowardly play, or in some cases the sort of boldness that comes from thinking you're not a suspect.

Irony Owl: Haven't heard much from you since you asked me a question last.  Does this game seem to be moving slower than usual for a Vengeful?  If yes, do you think that says anything about the composition of scum/town players?
Not really. If it were, I suppose it might imply the usually-active members were scum, but I wouldn't really put any faith in something like that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2011, 03:02:54 pm »

I really hate the idea of meta voting. I'm in a game on another board where meta voting ruined day 1.
This seems fishy. Why wouldn't you just say "It'll help because people will look at me and not flail at my meta" in the first place?

I don't really get the question. Isn't that what I said in my first answer, just without saying "meta"? I said that if someone becomes predictable in how they play, other people can tell if anything is different. I don't want to ever establish a set way of playing because I don't want that to ever happen to me.

Aaaand I think I finally understand the question. I was speaking generally as in "in all games", and you weren't. Sorry :/

Also. Native, I did answer irony's first question, 3 posts below when he said it. :|

Arathos, why did you jump on native's question without even checking? That's a very low effort question.

Irony, you've been in vengeful mafia before. Did they have hammering as a major point like this game? I'm curious how this game runs.

Native, ditto. This is kind of a lazy question but i'm legit interested in vengeful as a gametype.

Jim, a lot of your recent posts have been just responses, or back-and-forth with Arathos. You were asking good questions earlier, what happened to that?

Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2011, 03:14:01 pm »

I don't really get the question. Isn't that what I said in my first answer, just without saying "meta"? I said that if someone becomes predictable in how they play, other people can tell if anything is different. I don't want to ever establish a set way of playing because I don't want that to ever happen to me.

Aaaand I think I finally understand the question. I was speaking generally as in "in all games", and you weren't. Sorry :/
That still doesn't explain why town would be better off with nobody noticing that "something was up," by which you mean they won't be voted for bad meta reasons. Pretty sure you're scum.

Irony, you've been in vengeful mafia before. Did they have hammering as a major point like this game? I'm curious how this game runs.
Yeah, it's been fairly important.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2011, 04:04:11 pm »

Shark: I guess I missed that.

Hammering's always been a big point of the game. Most of the time it either wins the game or it results in the loss of the game, so a lot of consideration has to be taken.

Irony:

Pretty sure you're scum.

And you're not voting him because...?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2011, 04:24:14 pm »

Jim, a lot of your recent posts have been just responses, or back-and-forth with Arathos. You were asking good questions earlier, what happened to that?

Because I'm in three games, soon to be four, and I'm busy, and lazy, and thinking up good questions isn't worth the time it takes since everybody with the possible exception of you can flawlessly answer them.

Sure, I could think up good questions. But what good would it do me? It would make me look town. But that's not my primary concern. Is it yours?

Pretty sure you're scum.

And you're not voting him because...?

Because he's scum!

I actually don't know what IronyOwl is accusing Shark of. What are you accusing Shark of, IronyOwl?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13