Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Vengeful Mafia 9: DAY 2: SCUM stumbles (4/5)  (Read 27166 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Vengeful Mafia 9: DAY 1: Welcome to TOWN (5/5)
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 02:35:46 am »

Irony, who do you like to have most on either team?
Jim for town. Probably you for scum, just because it's easier to imagine you slipping up.

Also, native asked me this
Shark: Do you think your lack of an established style will work to your benefit or against you?
I'd say to my benefit. If people become predictable in how they play, it's easy to see when something's up.
Speaking of which, why would you need to hide the fact that something's up?

Do you have a lot of experience playing games with a hammer in effect?  If so, what has it taught you?
I don't. The experience I do have hasn't particularly taught me anything other than "Don't fuck up."

So you don't think hammering is dangerous enough for scum to be less likely to do it?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 04:09:02 am »

You.

Do you fear me in this game?

What do you consider scummier?  Lurking or indecisive voting, and why?

Indecisive voting.

I absolutely hate seeing people post their thought processes behind each player. It's a passive and completely empty contribution, since this is forum mafia, they can just post their results instead, and makes me think they're just stalling for time while they gather points to use against a player and otherwise see if everybody will be okay with their vote. If it looks like they want permission to cast a vote they are probably less interested in the vote itself and instead how they look from it, and maintaining appearances over scumhunting is scummy.

Indecisive voting is more immediately scummy than lurking, but lurking becomes much more serious with time. If a player answered prods but still never hunted or posted, I would lynch him, even if there was another player who was being indecisive.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 10:51:35 am »

So you don't think hammering is dangerous enough for scum to be less likely to do it?

Less likely, perhaps.  Scum players, even bad ones, are always wary of being caught doing something scummy.  Still, I think it's quite likely they'll do it.  It's dangerous, but that doesn't mean any given scum player won't fuck it up when they do.  If a scum player honestly believes they have a slam dunk of a case when they hammer, they may believe they've just ensured they won't be hit by the vengekill.  It doesn't mean they're right, of course.

You.

Do you fear me in this game?

Stroking your ego here, Jim?  Or trying to find out if I'm scum (and therefore afraid) or town (and therefore not)?

"Fear" probably isn't the best word to use in either case.  You're definitely my least favorite opponent, whether you're town and I'm scum or you're scum and I'm town.  I actually look forward to games where those are the case, since being under your relentless scrutiny helps me learn better.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 02:20:23 pm »

Irony, who do you like to have most on either team?
Jim for town. Probably you for scum, just because it's easier to imagine you slipping up.

Also, native asked me this
Shark: Do you think your lack of an established style will work to your benefit or against you?
I'd say to my benefit. If people become predictable in how they play, it's easy to see when something's up.
Speaking of which, why would you need to hide the fact that something's up?

I really hate the idea of meta voting. I'm in a game on another board where meta voting ruined day 1.

Urist, Do you believe that the hammerer is most likely to be vengekilled? It seems like you do in your post.

Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2011, 02:37:39 pm »

I think the hammerer is at greatest risk, since ultimately their vote causes the lynch.  It only makes sense for their case and reasons to be held to a higher level of scrutiny, and therefore places them at a greater risk of a vengekill. 
On the Nature of Dwarves

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2011, 10:46:16 pm »

Stroking your ego here, Jim?  Or trying to find out if I'm scum (and therefore afraid) or town (and therefore not)?

Yes.

IronyOwl, when would you hammer a player?

Shark, how skilled do you think the scum would have to be to win this game? What about the town?

NativeForeigner, consider the following extremely specific situation: We're deep into Day 1. I've attacked Urist_McArathos for doing something I recognize as something he does as scum, and have voted him for it. Shark agrees but IronyOwl and McArathos have both attacked him for not playing enough games with McArathos to make that judgment, and accused him of simply piggybacking on my arguments. Meanwhile, I'm aggressively badgering both you and IronyOwl to switch your votes to McArathos. What do you do?

Let's not let this game slow down if we can help it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 11:06:32 pm »

NativeForeigner, consider the following extremely specific situation: We're deep into Day 1. I've attacked Urist_McArathos for doing something I recognize as something he does as scum, and have voted him for it. Shark agrees but IronyOwl and McArathos have both attacked him for not playing enough games with McArathos to make that judgment, and accused him of simply piggybacking on my arguments. Meanwhile, I'm aggressively badgering both you and IronyOwl to switch your votes to McArathos. What do you do?

Well, judging solely from Cult Mafia, in which you were dead on about Urist, if your arguments matched up with how you were attacking him in Cult I would probably hammer McArathos if I felt confident enough in it and didn't feel someone else was more likely to be scum.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 11:40:34 pm »

Yes.

I will assume you are answering yes to both questions.  Hypothetical Question: Let's say we mislynch a townie, and the vengekill hits scum.  Who would you prefer to have left as the scum?  If you were scum, who would you prefer left as town?  Why, for both questions?

Thinking up more RVS questions with such a small group is tough, but I'm not seeing anything yet to start looking at.
On the Nature of Dwarves

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 03:50:30 am »

Well, judging solely from Cult Mafia, in which you were dead on about Urist, if your arguments matched up with how you were attacking him in Cult I would probably hammer McArathos if I felt confident enough in it and didn't feel someone else was more likely to be scum.

What if it didn't match up? What would your reaction be to that, and Shark agreeing with it?

I will assume you are answering yes to both questions.  Hypothetical Question: Let's say we mislynch a townie, and the vengekill hits scum.  Who would you prefer to have left as the scum?  If you were scum, who would you prefer left as town?  Why, for both questions?

Shark. I figure if he was scum and I was still alive I could figure out somewhat easily if he was scum or not.

As for who'd I want remaining, good question. I'd take Shark again, and then maybe you or NativeForeigner. I figure I could force through a mislynch on Shark, and through sheer of personality convince either of you to go along with me.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 02:35:47 pm »

Quote from: Jim Groovester link=topic=92878.msg2688713#msg2688713 date=1318841430
What if it didn't match up? What would your reaction be to that, and Shark agreeing with it?
[/quote

Then I would have to assume that at least one of you is scum. Depending on his previous actions, I would probably be inclined to dismiss him as less likely to be scum as compared to you and then attack you using the two games as the base of my case.

I'll be back later today to actually ask some questions.

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2011, 02:42:49 pm »

Shark, how skilled do you think the scum would have to be to win this game? What about the town?

Town has to be more skilled. If there's ever a mislynch, the vengekill has to hit scum for town to survive or win. The only situation that I can think of where a mislynch isn't really bad for town is if scum is lynched day 1, town is lynched day 2 and they simply don't vengekill anyone.
Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2011, 07:10:02 pm »

Thinking up more RVS questions with such a small group is tough, but I'm not seeing anything yet to start looking at.

Do you have an idea of what you're looking for?

Shark: Is there a reason you're ignoring IronyOwl?

Jim: If you were godfather, how would you handle a hammer situation where two townies have the first two votes and the final townie is reluctant to hammer?

IronyOwl: If you got yourself hammered and flipped town, how would you determine who to vengekill?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2011, 08:12:41 pm »

I would encourage that townie to hurry up and vote my target already, and increase pressure on him until he bends one way or the other, by accusing him of being suspicious for hesitating and probably a few other things I could think of that would be appropriate. Either way he votes, it's a mislynch either way.

If I argue and pressure correctly I should be able to avoid a retributive vengekill.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2011, 08:39:39 pm »

I would encourage that townie to hurry up and vote my target already, and increase pressure on him until he bends one way or the other, by accusing him of being suspicious for hesitating and probably a few other things I could think of that would be appropriate. Either way he votes, it's a mislynch either way.

If I argue and pressure correctly I should be able to avoid a retributive vengekill.

You don't think it would seem strange that you're not hammering yourself, but encouraging someone else to?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 08:47:32 pm »

I assumed that when you said there were two townies with two votes, that there were two townies with two votes each on them, for a total of four votes cast, one of which would be my own.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13