Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: Frozenvictims 2.0 - Terrifying Glacier succession fort  (Read 30123 times)

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Frozenvictims 2.0 - Terrifying Glacier succession fort
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2011, 08:04:14 am »

Do you want me to add you to the end of the turn list?

Edit: Sent a PM to the next overseer.
Dear Me. TWO Turn Skips? This Fort may still be around by Turn 10 after all!
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2011, 12:00:31 pm »

Dear Me. TWO Turn Skips? This Fort may still be around by Turn 10 after all!

Not if I have anything to say about it.

This fort is surprisingly good, other than the five mile walk inside.

A few minor adjustments had to be made. For one, who ordered the cooking of dwarven wine? I will have your head on a stake!
We have a few animals wandering the halls. Somewhat odd considering we have areas designated for pasturing already.
Two hunters had been assigned to a hammer dwarf squad. I'm assuming someone thought that was a good idea, however I'd prefer they not try bludgeoning things to death with a crossbow.
It seems a previous overseer had a hard time sleeping by himself, as there are twenty one beds pushed together right next to a stockpile. I'll see that people get prop... OOOH ADAMANTITE.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:44:53 pm by Dyg »
To quote one of Battlefailed's overseers: "My god, this was a terrible idea." The cow moose is stomping the shit out of Atir, and now Dyg's trying to give him water in the middle of fucking combat!

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2011, 05:18:09 pm »

(Only three of my screenshots saved correctly, so almost everything in this update was taken in the summer)

Granite:
Four days at this fortress and "Mayor" Nix wants a floodgate! He'll get his bloody floodgate. Preferably installed in his bedroom, inside the aquifier.

Tholtig and Minkot seem to have a competition of "who can annoy the overseer the most" going on.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The miners have been working to remove all of the readily accessible adamantite, however I had to personally oversee the project to ensure some miner named slade didn't tap into magma in his zeal. Or was it shade? Ah well, doesn't matter now.

I have also designated an area to be dug out for bedrooms. This is how I believe it will look once completed.

Slate:
A giantess arrived at the edge of our territory today. Despite the miltias ehmm... "speed" in arriving at the front gate, she had already walked into a cage trap by the time they arrived. I need to have a word with their commanders about increasing response time. Tevish seemed a bit too happy when he saw her being carried in.

Nix comes into my office rambling that something of his that was made of bronze had gone missing and demanded I shut down all bronze exports until he found it. I obliged just to get the crazy guy out of my office.

A migrant wave of 23 arrived in the middle of the storm. Among them were:
High Master Wood Cutter
Competent Axe Dwarf
Animal Dissector
Two Tanners
Miller (Sure why not?)
Stonecrafter
The rest were assigned to hauler duty.

Felsite:
An elven caravan arrived. I considered killing them, but instead decided to just seize all of their wood and food/beer. However before I could give the order, Tevish came running at me screaming "THEY HAVE BEARS!" Just to please the fellow I added the bears to the shopping list. Now he spends all of his time staring at them in the zoo while mumbling "I wonder if I can mate them?"

Sirocco changing the song he was singing to "Let it snow" informed me that a snowstorm had arrived. I fear I'm becoming accustomed to his specific form of insanity.

After hearing Siroccos voice a woodcrafter was taken by a mood and claimed a craftsdwarf workshop.
Logs, some bone, leather, and a stone block. It better not be another floodgate.

We have completed a previous overseers design of what appears to be a four leaf clover. I plan on using one part of it as a proper dining room and finding the use for the rest at a later point.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 05:50:17 pm by Dyg »
To quote one of Battlefailed's overseers: "My god, this was a terrible idea." The cow moose is stomping the shit out of Atir, and now Dyg's trying to give him water in the middle of fucking combat!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2011, 05:26:24 pm »

We will die miserably
in the snow, from the cold
from the magma,
from the hell,
from the giants or the water.
we will die
we will die
nothing is eternal,
it cannot die what can forever lie
and with strange aeons even death may die!

was the song sang by the miner shade while digging happily all around.
 CUZ MAGMA IS COMING, DEMONS ARE COMING HELL IS COMING, AND i'm SOOo oo happy! we are nearing the end of this place!" giants are the first, then comes the rest! where his thoughts.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2011, 11:59:09 pm »

(Only three of my screenshots saved correctly, so almost everything in this update was taken in the summer)
Have you considered using something like Hypercam to Record what youre doing, so that if there are any Issues with Screenshots, you can just take Snapshots out of the Video?
As a kind of Failsafe.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2011, 03:05:52 pm »

Hematite
Ablel has completed his artifact, a chestnut harp.

I noticed our drink supplies were running somewhat low. I've increased farm space to help with production and added a seed stockpile by the farms.

We don't have a single decent armor or weaponsmith in this fortress. I dare not wish for some uneducated fool to work on adamantite items. Yet I can't find a decent source of metal anywhere here to train them with. Everything seems to be nickel in this fortress.

CUGO HAS ARRIVED! ALL HAIL CUGO!
At least it's trapped in the caverns, I think. I trust the previous overseers put something better than a wooden door in their way, so I've never really looked for openings there.

Gave the manager a list of crap I wanted done, he seemed happy to get some work for once. With that, we're down to three dwarves being reported as idle. I'm sure they're nobles I don't care about.

Malachite
I think these things followed Cugo, I'm going to have nightmares about them for a week.

Another snowstorm, why do they even bother telling me about them?

A wave of nine migrants arrived in the middle of the snowstorm. Among them are three high masters: Clothier, wood cutter, and blacksmith. Also someone that knows how to hold a hammer properly. Our cage traps catch two muskoxs that try to follow them in

Galena
Cugo really was bringing in friends.

Meanwhile, our militia were growing attached to crap left and right.
Any of you start talking to your weapons and I will build a pit of death specifically for you.

The human caravan has arrived
Upon hearing that a caravan had arrived. Nix reminded everyone of his "No bronze export" agenda. Do we even have a bronze item in the fortress?

Limestone
Expanding workshop area somewhat

Meanwhile downstairs:
HEEEYYYY CUGO!

Sandstone
Dining room is completed, bedrooms are awaiting a few more pieces.

Migrant wave of 8. Finally someone that knows even the basics of making armor.

You let one move in and he invites ALL of his friends.

Timber
Extremely boring month.
The engravers are doing random stuff, organizer declares himself to be "legendary" whatever that means.

Our armorer was taken by a fey mood, here's to something good. I hope... Wait, he just grabbed a single copper bar and started working. Never mind.

The dwarf caravan arrives, open the gates!

Ah well, at least it got him to legendary armorsmithing.

The dwarf liason is still trying to figure out where Nix is I think, either that or he's headed downstairs to join Tevish in staring at the bears.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2011, 03:56:53 pm »

Here is hell hq, do you copy Shadow one?
here is shadow one, hq, what news?
we are going to assist you in doing what you must do. we are bringing in sergeant cugo and his beast-mens of the apocalypse.
i receive loud and clear hell hq, i will make a hole down for the caverns as soon as possible
copy that, connection is about to be cut.
"ehi SHADE what are you doing putting your ear next to the adamantine!?"
"ohhh nothing nothing! trying to hear the magma crabs from inside"
"there are magma crabs in there?"
"yeah! try and mine it out!"
"but the overseer said not to..."
"ohh well pal, sometimes, you have to do what you want to do, and not what the overseer wants you to...but it will be alright, take it easy, maybe later"
"yeah maybe later shade!"
"break time!?"
"BREAK TIME!"
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2011, 05:19:26 pm »

Part of the way through winter. Who should I promote to baron? No response within an hour and it goes to Sirroco. (Assuming you don't pick him anyways)

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2011, 05:38:23 pm »

How strange, I expected there would be bigger migrant waves.

Anything new from the hospital?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2011, 05:40:13 pm »

That's a lot of forgotten beasts...  Clearly we need a GCS to start webbing cages.

As for baron.... I'd load the save and check thoughts for really bad prefs, but my computer is acting up, so... Well, Nix hasn't done anything awful so far.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2011, 05:54:48 pm »

How strange, I expected there would be bigger migrant waves.

Anything new from the hospital?

Yeah, we had a 23 wave in the spring. The 8 and 9 waves during summer/fall are disappointing though. Especially since very few of them are useful.
No one has been injured in my turn, so nothing from the hospital.  I always could open the caverns though...

That's a lot of forgotten beasts...  Clearly we need a GCS to start webbing cages.

Their motto seems to be:
"Oh, it's a new month. Send in another FB!"

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2011, 06:51:20 pm »

No one has been injured in my turn, so nothing from the hospital.

Just wondering how it went with Sirian's endless diagnose loop and with Litast, who was laying next to a hospital bed.

Nice to see you seized the hippies too.

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2011, 07:11:53 pm »

(Nothing really interesting happened during winter and I just spent most of the time clearing out job buildup)
Opal
Sirroco has been appointed for a baron position. I need to prepare his room and grave due to his increased "need" for them. (YOU WERE FINE SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR TWO MONTHS AGO!)

Obsidian
He's done engraving his own room and the liason finally talked to someone.

Goblins arrived, 16 of them from the looks of it. Should be easy enough for the miltia to handle.

The Axedwarf Kogan rushes out for glory and enters a martial trance. On her first attack she shatters a goblins arm with her axe and moves on to grapple the next. The speardwarf following her wasn't so lucky however as he was impaled through the heart with a sword. During this, Nix decides to sneak a final floodgate mandate in.

As soon as they came, the goblins left. They decided that one dwarf death was enough for them and ran for the hills, with the dwarves only managing to catch three stragglers.

Final stocks report

The save
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:17:01 am by Dyg »

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2011, 07:17:22 pm »

Just wondering how it went with Sirian's endless diagnose loop and with Litast, who was laying next to a hospital bed.

Nice to see you seized the hippies too.

Sirian's up and walking around without an arm or leg. S/He's still active in the militia. Litast, I'm not sure about.

Quick Notes for the next overseer:
None of the beds in the "housing" area are assigned, so dwarves have been sleeping in the hospital. (My fault for not doing it, I was just in a rush during winter)
There are ~30 adamantite ores left to have strands extracted and ~35 strands ready to be melted.
Around 40 useless dwarves are designated as haulers, use them for whatever.
A few of the farms are turned off because we were starting to overproduce on food/ale.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:43:00 pm by Dyg »

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2011, 08:11:18 pm »

Sweeeeet! I hope he dies a dwarvenly death next ambush or something.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24