Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Magic the Gathering: So how about that M13?  (Read 7573 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic the Gathering: Dark Ascension is here!
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2012, 10:46:24 am »

I mean the plainswalker cards, i've seen them before but can't recall what they actually do :/

A PLAINSwalker?

Or a PLANESwalker?

:P

EDIT: To answer your question, they enter the battlefield with so many 'loyalty counters' that act simultaneous as the planeswalkers life total and power supply. They can use any of the abilities printed on them by either adding or subtracting the number of loyalty counters noted, but only once a turn, and only at sorcery speed. Your opponents creatures can attack your planeswalkers directly, or your opponents can redirect any non-combat damage to it. Damage they take translates into that many loyalty counters being removed, and once it has 0 loyalty, you're forced to sacrifice it.

Also, Planeswalkers with the same subtype can't coexist on the battlefield. So if I cast a Garruk and you cast a different version of Garruk, they'd both be sacrificed automatically as a sort of paradox clause.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:53:03 am by JoshuaFH »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2012, 10:52:55 am »

Ohhhhh yeah, the planeswalker cards. Those are relatively new (like, within the past 5-8 years... ok I guess that's not really new EDIT: looks like they were introduced in 2007) and yeah I still don't really know how they work.

That zodiac rooster is awesome, but did you make an effort to find the earliest card with plainswalking you could? :P
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:55:29 am by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2012, 10:54:00 am »

Ohhhhh yeah, the planeswalker cards. Those are relatively new (like, within the past 5-8 years... ok I guess that's not really new) and yeah I still don't really know how they work.

That zodiac rooster is awesome, but did you make an effort to find the earliest card with plainswalking you could? :P

Zodiac Rooster is the best plainswalker.

Ninjaedited my post to answer your question btw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2012, 10:59:09 am »

I decided to get the first deck pack with the zombie deck, I don't think I have the right mindset for it though.  I keep trying to play it like the white soldier deck, slow and defensive waiting for a huge stroke (I beat Tezzeret by taking him from 20 to 0 in one turn with Kor Duelist).  It works sometimes but not that often.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2012, 11:05:09 am »

You can afford to be more aggressive with zombies, since there's such a large amount of graveyard recycling in the deck. Just hold back on your lords and you should be fine.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2012, 11:12:13 am »

Yeah, the black deck in the expansion is similar, except you can play it either as a zombie-focused deck or a forced discard-focused deck. I go mostly all out offensive with it and just bring back the cards I actually care about. :P
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2012, 11:28:17 am »

I haven't been following the most recent MtG developments, but I greatly enjoy the game.  I play with a Legacy format black/blue artifact deck that focuses on counter creation/destruction, with very little in the way of outright power.  I have things like Myr Servitor, Disciple of the Vault, Blasting Chamber, etc.  I also have Time Sieve, which I can combine with multiple means of creating artifact creature tokens to give myself an unlimited number of turns.

Is there anything in the recent sets that I might be able to use?  The most recent set from which I've bought cards is Scars of Mirrodin, but I don't know all the cards from that, nor do I know any of the cards from more recent sets.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2012, 12:01:42 pm »

I haven't been following the most recent MtG developments, but I greatly enjoy the game.  I play with a Legacy format black/blue artifact deck that focuses on counter creation/destruction, with very little in the way of outright power.  I have things like Myr Servitor, Disciple of the Vault, Blasting Chamber, etc.  I also have Time Sieve, which I can combine with multiple means of creating artifact creature tokens to give myself an unlimited number of turns.

Is there anything in the recent sets that I might be able to use?  The most recent set from which I've bought cards is Scars of Mirrodin, but I don't know all the cards from that, nor do I know any of the cards from more recent sets.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Past in Flames is card basically aimed at appeasing fans of older formats, seeing as how it's a red Yawgmoth's Will. I think I see Think Twice in about every draw-go style deck ever. The blade is a DFC (Double faced card) that turns into the big-honking demon. I just love invisible stalkers so much, I have a deck that abuses them oh so handily.

Then again, I'm not too privy on infinite turn combos, or decks built to utilize them.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2012, 03:03:38 pm »

Is there a limit to the deck size or max amount of creatures/tokens? Duels of the Planeswalkers has a limit of 90 cards since you can't customize them, and it has max of 100 tokens. I remember I played with this Ghoulkeeper deck and I had Endless Ranks of the Dead, which basically made me reach the limit in a few turns.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:05:25 pm by Bordellimies »
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2012, 03:08:52 pm »

Is there a limit to the deck size or max amount of creatures/tokens? Duels of the Planeswalkers has a limit of 90 cards since you can't customize them, and it has max of 100 tokens. I remember I played with this Ghoulkeeper deck and I had Endless Ranks of the Dead, which basically made me reach the limit in a few turns.

In the physical version, there's no limits whatsoever. You can have a deck of 500 cards and use combos that give you millions of creature tokens. The only physical limitation is that you're required to be able to shuffle your deck when you have to. It can't be so huge that it can't be interacted with.

Duels just has the limit thanks to hardware limitations/laziness.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2012, 03:13:06 pm »

Are you able to divide your deck into multiple decks and shuffle those, then put them together?  THat's how I did it back when me and my brother played with all our cards at a time (Looking at the symbols on our old cards, it looks like I started with Onslaught and the other one in the same block, the one with the Ouroboros.  The last time I played was the original Mirrodin block.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2012, 03:18:50 pm »

Are you able to divide your deck into multiple decks and shuffle those, then put them together?  THat's how I did it back when me and my brother played with all our cards at a time (Looking at the symbols on our old cards, it looks like I started with Onslaught and the other one in the same block, the one with the Ouroboros.  The last time I played was the original Mirrodin block.

Just so long as you can take the parts of it that you shuffled, then shuffle those together, to ensure that it's "Sufficient randomized" as the shuffling buffs like to say.

Of course, playing casual you just got to hope your friends are really patient. I had a friend with something like a 200 card sliver deck, and just for laughs we aimed every effect that forced a library reshuffling at him, just to see him clunk around trying to shuffle that giant thing. In tournaments you have an exact but very lenient time limit for shuffling your deck that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2012, 08:35:25 pm »

I usually play Elder Dragon Highlander, a more casual, multiplayer-oriented format. It's now an official format, known as Commander, though it's still more commonly referred to as EDH -- fitting, due to the primary rule -- the deck is built of exactly 99 cards, and there are no multiples (there can be only one), with the exception, of course, of basic lands. This deck is, well, commanded by a hundredth card, a legendary creature, whose colors define the colors that can be played within the deck itself.
With the exception of the (relatively small) banlist and the Un sets (depending on house rules), pretty much any card is allowed, which makes it one of, if not the, most popular format(s) outside of Standard.

(I'll plug it again -- Cockatrice is wonderful for playing the real game (not Tactics) online without spending the money on MTG:O or the limits of DotP -- hit me up on Steam to organize a game sometime, I want to play you guys :V)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2012, 10:15:56 pm »

Wow, Karn is fucking crazy.  How are you allowed to make decks like this?

Fake edit:  hahahaha tinker is banned in elder dragon highlander, how relevant to what I was just talking about

I beat him though.  I'm kind of disappointed, after pulling all kinds of hijinks (Duplicant-ing my Kozilek, Tinkering Darksteel Colossus erryday, baiting me into blocking a 5/3 with Lorthos then finishing him off with triskelion, etc.) the game I finally beat him he just sits there and takes it.  Didn't put a single creature out, never did anything, I just killed him with illusions in like four turns.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:17:46 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2012, 10:22:02 pm »

Wow, Karn is fucking crazy.  How are you allowed to make decks like this?

Fake edit:  hahahaha tinker is banned in elder dragon highlander, how relevant to what I was just talking about

Yeah, apparently the only thing they could think of to make Karn a 'final boss' is to give him a deck loaded with cards that are either restricted or banned in nearly every format. His revenge incarnation has a playset of mox diamonds I believe, which is unbelievable. Too bad you can't even get a tweaked down version of his deck.

Then you can face Nicol Bolas in archenemy, and his ultra-specced out deck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6