Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Creature Deluxe (v 0.91) Soul System upgrade for .34.  (Read 5820 times)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creature Deluxe (v 0.91) Soul System upgrade for .34.
« on: September 03, 2011, 08:14:01 pm »

Version 0.91 added!

So with the inclusion of the new interactions system I have been laying out what I want to be able to do with the Soul System. Currently I do not have a release available, but I have laid out my ideas for you to see below and will be hopefully uploading a new version soon.

1. Level up your dwarves!
-Use souls aquired from slain creatures and monsters to increase the strength, agility, toughness, etc... of your dwarves permanently! Higher level souls will give you a bigger boost.
-Certain creatures souls will give specific changes to your dwarves! Finally kill that pesky GCS? Use it's soul to give your champion dwarf immunity to poison!

2. Golem Factory (Meph already has a working version in his Masterwork mod, will most likely be borrowing heavily from that)
-Sacriface a dwarf to get a strong construct that knows no pain or fear, needs no sleep or food, and will watch over your fortress as a silent guardian!
-If you manage to kill a wandering golem you can use it's golem essence, along with the life force of a cat or dog to animate a new golem. No need to sacrifice your dwarven warriors!
-If you are truly lucky and manage to fell one of the monsterous collosi you can use it's essence, alone with several other rare materials and the soul of your dwarf to create your own collosus!

3. Megabeast Souls to upgrade your dwarves and weapons!
-Each megabeast has a unique soul which will grant special abilities to your dwarves! Teach your dwarves the magic of the dragons and the secrets of the other megabeasts that roam the land!
-Megabeast souls can also be used to create unique weapons and armor for your dwarves.

And please if you have some ideas let me know!

Old Post:

CREATURES DELUXE!
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4914

PLEASE READ THE README FOR INFORMATION. ON HOW TO USE AND INSTALL THIS MOD!

NEW INFO:
Using http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/index.html I have written a script that goes through all of their available pages for Reptiles, Amphibians, Mammals, and Birds and extracts the information they have for them. It then compiles them all together, and using some 30 basic creature templates (e.g. DOG_TEMPLATE, ELEPHANT_TEMPLATE, MONKEY_TEMPLATE, etc...) that I have taken from the raws it puts them all together in readable creatures for DF! Unfortunately there were less pages then I was hoping for on the ADW site, and I only got about 2000 creatures out of it, and many of those creatures have names like 'African bullfrog' or 'Darwin's frog'. Eventually I will go through and either change the name of or remove the creatures that have references to our world, but until then you can think of any of the creatures with peoples names as being people from your DF world, and any place references as being places in your DF world.

Because a list of 2000 some creatures would be to big, I have just included the break down below;
Amphibians: 127
Birds: 437
Mammals: 1277
Reptiles: 103

If you would like a list of all the creatures included I could put that in too, just let me know.

NOTE:
Currently all of the creatures are in one large file, I will be breaking this up into more manageable and readable files as time progresses, but I thought I would at least get this out to you all now.

ALSO INCLUDED:
  • Also included with this file are most of Deon's fantasy creatures from his mod Genesis
  • Tomitapo's leather and scale tiers (also used from Genesis)
  • 4 Levels of Golems that I use in my own games, each one has several dozen castes of each rock/metal/gem and each level drops a different type of golem essence (Note: I haven't included any of my reactions for processing the golem essences, I can if you want, but I thought individual people would have different ideas with what to do with them, and really they are more for the next release)
  • 4 Levels of Dragons, each with 10 unique castes.
  • SOULS!!! - Each creature drops a soul (only the ones in creature_normal right now). Similarly to the golem essences I haven't included reactions for them, but have been thinking up some fun things to do.

Version 0.90 update
-Included three separate versions (vanilla with souls, new creatures without souls, and new creatures with souls)
-Included several python scripts for customization
-Expanded the soul system. Can now level all weapons up to level 5, and can process golem essences into neat things.
-Fixed several problems with certain creatures

Thank yous:
Deon - For his wonderful work with the Genesis mod and the tweaking he has done for it
Tomitapo - Also for his wonderful tweaking and his tiered leather/scale system
Mephansteras - Several of my ideas for the golems and souls came from Civilization Forge
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:36:10 pm by Roses »

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Deluxe (v 0.1)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 08:58:57 pm »

I am already liking this mod. I hope it will eventually reach the end and I will be able to have a huge amount of diversity in my fortress.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:08:10 pm »

I hope so too! I actually already have another 100 some creatures done, but I haven't really tested them yet so I am waiting until I do. Should have them out by monday though, bringing the total done closer to 250.

Also I should mention that I added the Genus and species name to the descriptions of the creatures so now you can tell your boss/spouse/significant other/teacher that you are learning (even more than you already learn) while playing DF!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 03:09:48 am »

Congratulations on starting what looks like a great mod!

One request when you get to the reptiles could you add curable scale materials for scale leather armour etc? If you look at direforged mod, he does something like that with material reaction classes and a slightly modified standard materials.

Don't forget milkable and shearable tags on everything too!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 03:26:13 am »

One request when you get to the reptiles could you add curable scale materials for scale leather armour etc? If you look at direforged mod, he does something like that with material reaction classes and a slightly modified standard materials.

Of course, I have seen a couple mods do this and I will look into how they do it. The only question I have to answer is, should all reptillians be able to produce scale leather? Perhaps only ones of a certain size, so that we don't get little tiny lizards making scale leather armor.

As for milkable, for now I plan on adding it to only the more commonly milked animals (Camel, Cows, Donkey, Goat, Horse, Reindeer, Sheep, Water Buffalo, Yak, and a couple others) I may add more as I go through it, techincally many many animals can be milked, but I don't want to have 1000 different types of milks cluttering things up.

Shearable is similar, but a little more restricting.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 03:42:49 am »

I wonder why am I in "thankyous" section :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

EggFibre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 06:41:38 am »

Wow, that's quite a project you got there. Good luck.

It'll take you what, at a rate of 10 a day, 3000 days to get 30000 fish done. Copy and paste may be your friend.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 01:36:39 pm »

I wonder why am I in "thankyous" section :P.

Yes, my thank yous section could use a little work as to why the people are there, but I used Genesis as my base since you and Tomi did such a great job balancing creatures and put so much work into it. I also love your mod so there's that too. I'm hoping to also include the 5 levels of materials you have in your newest update as I think it would work perfectly for this mod.

As for the fish, there's no way I am going to do all 30,000 species of fish, not just because of time constraints but also because there's just no need since the water system is not fully developed in the game (many of the fish species are only found at a certain depth and in the middle of the ocean etc...). I actually have been able to do about 30 - 50 a day as rough drafts recently, but I wanted to give the number 10 just so people don't expect too much.

P.S. It seems in my rush to get this on DFFD I forgot to include the dragons, those will be coming with the next release along with the rest of the carnivorous mammals.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 02:37:11 pm »

UPDATE 1:

All carnivorous mammals (mammals in the carnivora order) are now included. List of currently included creatures;

Mammals - 205 species
Lesser Golems - 65 castes
Golems - 94 castes
Greater Golems - 94 castes
Colossi - 29 castes
Drakes - 10 castes
Dragons - 10 castes
Great Dragons - 10 castes
High Dragons - 10 castes

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Deluxe (v 0.1) UPDATE 1
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 03:27:13 am »

Alright, I need some input on what the different dragons breath's should do and what they should be called. Right now I was thinking;

Red Dragon - Fire dragon, has [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
Blue Dragon - Water dragon, causes water to fill your lungs, use IMPAIR_FUNCTION on lungs to simulate
Green Dragon - Slime dragon, causes oozing and blisters
White Dragon - Lightning dragon, causes paralysis
Yellow Dragon - Poison dragon, causes pain and coughing/vomiting blood
Black Dragon - Death dragon, causes necrosis
Brown Dragon - Earth dragon, petrifies legs, use IMPAIR_FUNCTION and NUMBNESS on legs to simulate
Gray Dragon - Smoke dragon, blinds, use IMPAIR_FUNCTION on eyes to simulate
Chaos Dragon - Magic dragon, causes drowsiness, dizziness, unconsciousness

Those are my thoughts so far. Suggestions? And syndrome naming thoughts?

Also, since I have different levels of dragons I thought about using different severities and probabilities of each affect for different levels of dragons.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 03:33:22 am »

Deon did a great frost dragon that has breath so cold that it freezes. I copied off of his work to do the Biter in my Dwarvenrealms mod. His version will pretty much insta-freeze anything it fights, mine uses a way gimpier breath attack.

Fun fact: I set the homeotherm on my Biter super low, so if it gets immersed in water it actually freezes solid, which cracks me up.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 03:36:15 am »

I knew I was missing something! A frost dragon! Excellent, now I just have to rework the colors. Maybe drop the slime dragon, make yellow electricity, green poison, then white can be frost.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 06:28:01 pm »

So I've got a question regarding how many creatures can be on a map at a given time, is there a limit? For instance I have started to add some of the smaller mammals (shrews, tenrecs, moles, etc...) but I don't want you to start a fortress and have nothing but a family of shrews living there.

Also, what are peoples opinions on what should be vermin and what shouldn't be? Should I set a weight limit so that anything under a body size of 1000 (or some other number) is a vermin, or should it be species based (for instance some mongoose weigh under a kg, but others can weigh as much as 5 or 6, or more dramatically some species of tortoise weigh as little as a kg while others weigh 300-400), maybe it should be species and weight based?

P.S. Sorry for the slow updates, had to take my qualifying exams today and so haven't had a lot of time to work on it, I should have another 150 or so animals done soon (Shrews, Moles, Elephants, Manatees, Armadillos, Sloths, Horses, Rhinos, Hares, and Hedgehogs).

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Deluxe (v 0.1) UPDATE 2
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 07:23:29 pm »

UPDATE NUMBER 2!

Included 140 new mammals  (Tenrecs, Shrews, Armadillos, Hedgehogs, Elephants, Horses, Zebras, Donkeys, Hyrax, Manatees, Anteaters, Sloths, Tapirs, Rabbits, Hares, and Jackrabbits).

Also included are 90 or so creatures from Deon's Genesis (only fantastical ones, some from vanilla DF that he has altered to make them more balanced, others that he has added to his mod). Included with permission.

In addition I have added TomiTapo's tiered leather and skin templates to add more diversity to animals.

EDIT: If you just copy and paste all of the files into your creatures it should work (there may be some duplicate raws issues if you arent careful) you will get a couple error messages about colors but it doesn't effect the game at all.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:38:56 pm by Roses »

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Deluxe (v 0.1) UPDATE 2 Now with a road map!
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 12:37:27 am »

Added a road map to show others where I am going with this mod. Also to ask people since I am nearing the end of the mammals what I should start with next (Birds, Reptiles, Amphibians, or Fish). I am thinking it would be good to at least get some of the more well known species of each class done before I start the others.
Pages: [1] 2 3