Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dual Wielding Military?  (Read 6388 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dual Wielding Military?
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:08:41 pm »

I want to give my miltary dual weapons, since thankfully, I was able to give them all *Adamantine Breastplate* along with *Steel Mail Shirts*. Now I want to know if this is practical, because I will have to rev up my candy mining and weapons industry again. So, should I just stick to making steel shields, or should I go out to making Akimbo dwarf weapons?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Wielding Military?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 07:27:00 pm »

You started making Adamantine ANYTHING before having legendary weapon/armor crafters?
What a waste
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 07:49:55 pm »

I don't think it is worth it, because the dwarfs use the weapon they are more used to most of the time

Example: Legendary Swordsdwarf Equiped with Steel Mace and Steel Sword, He will always use the sword if he can
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:02:30 pm »

You started making Adamantine ANYTHING before having legendary weapon/armor crafters?
What a waste
Actually, I do. Thanks to them, I have a giant iron ball artifact and a steel gauntlet  artifact.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:08:16 pm »

Maybe he just used a * to replace the dorfbuck sign.
Anyway, even though it's candy, there will still be lucky shots that will eventually cause the demise of your fighters. So I'd say it's impractical and to go with a shield instead.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:36:08 pm »

I'm not sure.  I've seen fortress mode dwarves used both their regular weapon and a training weapon in combat before.

However, when I went to test this in arena mode, I've never seen a dwarf use the weapon in their off-hand.  Axe/hammer dorfs all fell en masse to axe/shield or hammer/shield dwarves.  Double axes and double hammers didn't fare any better, unless both sides had literally no skills.  At that point the shield became an actual liability, surprisingly.

I haven't tested yet no-shields, one-axes v. two axes.  I should probably go do that.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:55:48 pm »

Well the problem with two weapons is that it doesn't give you more attack chances as far as I'm aware, just options if you use different weapons. I'd say go with shield for greater survivability. And I'd suggest masterwork copper shields since material quality doesn't improve block chance but will affect any attacks made with it. And since shield bashes are blunt and copper is heavier than steel it's a better material in this case.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 02:51:12 am »

Well the problem with two weapons is that it doesn't give you more attack chances as far as I'm aware, just options if you use different weapons.
Yeah, that was my experience.  The axe/hammer dwarves exclusively used the first weapon in the list unless the arm holding it was disabled.  Speaking of which, arena testing confirmed that a dwarf with two axes is better than one with only one axe and no shield.  Many of the survivors were missing a limb, though. 

So...
Weapon + Shield > Two Weapons > One Weapon, no Shield.

(For identical weapons and armor setups.)
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 03:00:11 am »

Using two shields gives you double the block chance.  I think this works by rolls.  The attacker rolls a dice, and if it's dodged then it's dodged.  Another roll determines if it's deflected by your shield.  If you have 2 shields, then yet another roll determines if the second shield blocks.  There's parries and deflects in there too, but you get the idea.

Have two weapons gives no such advantage.  You cannot strike with both weapons at the same time, and your attack speed will still be the same as your movement speed, gaining no bonus.  Dual axes will just mean that if you get your arm cut off, you still have another axe.  That in itself is rather dwarfy, but ultimately not dwarfy enough to rationalize the loss of arm.  Use a shield instead.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 03:23:07 am »

I did a dual-wielding fort a while back (sword and hammer). Most of them favoured either one or the other though, and the lack of shields seemed to create problems against archers. And then a dragon showed up...

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 06:02:45 am »

OTOH, two-shield dwarves die in droves in arena matches against dwarves wielding one shield and any better weapon.

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
  • I am shocked and appalled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 06:29:08 pm »

since shield bashes are blunt and copper is heavier than steel it's a better material in this case.

Wait a sec... Does that mean that COPPER warhammers are better than STEEL ones? If so, that'll be incredibly helpful since i need the steel for armour and sharp weapons, and i'm very short on silver.
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 06:32:28 pm »

since shield bashes are blunt and copper is heavier than steel it's a better material in this case.

Wait a sec... Does that mean that COPPER warhammers are better than STEEL ones? If so, that'll be incredibly helpful since i need the steel for armour and sharp weapons, and i'm very short on silver.

Not trying to mock you, but that'd be a good post in the facepalm thread.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 06:38:07 pm »

A dwarf with 1 shield will survive shorter than a dwarf with 2 shields.  A dwarf with a shield and a weapon seems to survive at different frequencies.

Copper warhammers are better than steel warhammers.  Silver preferred, but refer to the page of "metal" on the wiki to sort metals by density.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 07:12:22 pm »

If you want to do it for the (historically disproved) "awesome factor" (bloody Japanese culture fanbois), go ahead. It will be just as effective as in real life.

Lots of dead pincushions.

(If however, you've modded your game to add small daggers, and want to dual wield those disregard my previous subtle (not suble) mocking. They'll still die a lot though....)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4