Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Games that let you slowly expand into space?  (Read 3874 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Games that let you slowly expand into space?
« on: August 28, 2011, 04:51:49 pm »

I'm not particularly looking for a 4x. Anything will fit-Imagine Light of Altair or haegemonia legions of iron, where you start out in the solar system but gradually expand to become an interstellar empire.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games that let you slowly expand into space?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 04:54:03 pm »

There's that game... made by that company in NZ with the whole full zoom from planet to solar system thing... I cannot for all the want in the world remember its name (because i bloody well want to, need to buy it)...
Magma is overrated.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 05:06:04 pm »

Aurora does this.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 05:11:34 pm »

There's that game... made by that company in NZ with the whole full zoom from planet to solar system thing... I cannot for all the want in the world remember its name (because i bloody well want to, need to buy it)...
Distant Worlds. However, your ships already have hyper capability when you start the game.
Aurora does this.
My only problem, and major problem with Aurora is that as the game progress the time increments eventually get slow to the point where I simply can't play anymore. I have no idea how the guys who had hundreds of systems surveyed and many many extrasolar colonies do it.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 05:21:07 pm »

It's an old game, and you'll need an amiga emulator and hunt down the game itself, but I think you'd like Deuteros. There's an almost equally old DOS game inspired by Deuteros that's also quite good: Reunion.

The only problems with both games, besides the age, is that there is a somewhat forced storyline you need to follow, plus the gameplay gets a bit micromanagy in the later stages.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 05:30:01 pm »

Shores Of Hazeron is good. You pretty much start out naked with an advanced knife (and a wooden torch if you didn't ...accidently... kill the tutorial man) and your first task is to make a flag and found a settlement. Then you work on said town until you amass sufficient redshirts to simply designate what you want built. After building up your civilisation, you can manufacture a rocket and point it at a convenient moon. Start a (sealed) settlement there with trade and migration facilities and you can start mining materials for real spaceships and FTL drives (currently limited to wormhole traversal)

Did I mention it's currently in free open beta/alpha?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 05:31:41 pm »

Ascendancy started off with your race just beginning to go into space. Like I think you spent some time building up your planet before even beginning to colonize your own solar system.

The AI sort of sucked, though. I played it unpatched where it just sorta flew about back and forth across solar systems seemingly without a goal. But with the AI patch it's supposedly much better.

And while this is sorta different from what you're asking, Imperium Galactica had you start off governing only a single planet and a small fleet and as the campaign progressed, you gained rank and command over more things in the empire. Pretty linear, though.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 06:34:07 pm »

Spore, if I am allowed to say that word.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 07:15:03 pm »

start out in the solar system but gradually
expand to become an interstellar empire

Master of Orion 2? It is a 4x, but it meets the criteria and it's one of the best games in the genre.

Wayward Garden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wayward Garden
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 08:22:53 pm »

Emperor of the Fading Suns has most, if not all of its factions starting out with holdings on more than one planet, but you can spend plenty of time fully developing your home planet before you bother developing your other holdings or procuring new ones.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 03:55:03 pm »

emperor of the fading suns, i love that damn thing, havent played it in a while now.

loved it.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 05:27:07 pm »

Emperor of the Fading Suns has most, if not all of its factions starting out with holdings on more than one planet, but you can spend plenty of time fully developing your home planet before you bother developing your other holdings or procuring new ones.
As far as I can remember, most scenarios have all factions starting with 1 home planet and holdings on the Imperial Capitol planet. So it's not like you've got stuff everywhere. Also, you only start with 2 ships capable of carrying units to other worlds, so expansion will be slow until you get the tech to build space ports and then it'll still be some time before you really get a grip on other planets.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 05:31:25 pm »

Sword of the Stars? (Also apparently a sequel is coming out out next month).

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 03:58:26 am »

Spore, if I am allowed to say that word.

Damn, you beat me to it! Though Spore is kinda lame, I had a lotta fun with the final stage of civilization when you're zooming around space, conquering neighbouring systems and finding new allies. Your Empire gets too hard to manage when it's big, though I think that problem has a lot to do with Spore overall being a terrible game. :)

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 05:54:33 am »

Spore was overhyped, and overall ruined the game with going for cartoony and childish instead of about actual survival of your species, and whatnot. All of the stages except for the cell stage and the space stage where terrible, and the space stage still sucked because you were responsible for protecting your planets yet you received  no money from them (except for "spice", and you had to go to every planet for them). The Space Adventures or whatever expansion was okay, though it could have let you do more stuff, like have space battles, design multi story places, let you go inside houses, and all sorts.

In the end, Spore didn't deliver what people wanted.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.
Pages: [1] 2