Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: I am disturbed right now  (Read 5361 times)

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
Re: I am disturbed right now
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 03:52:04 pm »

You have to use your imagination WAY to much for this game.

This is actually one of my favorite things about dwarf fortress.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 04:06:14 pm »

Same here.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 04:32:01 pm »

Same here.
I've told countless stories to my friends about dwarf fortress, and I used my imagination each and every time. When you get to create what is going on in your mind and you are only given the vital information it allows you to tailor the experience to yourself, and make it as fun as possible for yourself.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 05:58:05 pm »

Toady seems to work slowly sometimes, but in reality it's dwarf fortress that's so incredibly huge and ambitious that even big steps seem a crawl.

I too find it less playable and more frustrating since, for example, the last military update. It's nevertheless obvious that it's fundamentally an improvement in the way things work. I just console myself that it would require deliberate effort to fuck up the responsiveness of the military even more.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 06:31:57 pm »

I too find it less playable and more frustrating since, for example, the last military update

Me too... It is the military handling that really has killed fortress mode for me.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 07:14:44 pm »

I have this picture in my head of a 3d world where you dont have to use your imagination like a tool. You have to use your imagination WAY to much for this game.

I think spongebob would like to have a word with you.

steakbbq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 07:50:14 pm »

I love to read books.

What I mean about having to use your imagination too much is you cant just look at a dwarf and go, oh he is wearing iron armor and he has a wooden training sword on him... no you have to do some retarded shit and hit about 5 different keys and read through a huge list of text....

I like to read books but not for 20 different dwarves that look essentially the same and have names that make no sense.

No wonder he doesn't want it to be 3d

He is absolutely HORRIBLE at it..... I can understand, he is a programmer and Is not an art guy.

Why cant he just at least let someone take over the graphical side and put a 3d skin on this wonderful game?

before you go saying his 3d is better then anything you have ever done http://www.loganf.com

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 07:57:09 pm »

I love to read books.

What I mean about having to use your imagination too much is you cant just look at a dwarf and go, oh he is wearing iron armor and he has a wooden training sword on him... no you have to do some retarded shit and hit about 5 different keys and read through a huge list of text....

I like to read books but not for 20 different dwarves that look essentially the same and have names that make no sense.

No wonder he doesn't want it to be 3d

He is absolutely HORRIBLE at it..... I can understand, he is a programmer and Is not an art guy.

Why cant he just at least let someone take over the graphical side and put a 3d skin on this wonderful game?

before you go saying his 3d is better then anything you have ever done http://www.loganf.com

I direct you to my essay on Abstract vs. Realistic graphics
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 08:03:54 pm »

Last time I looked, suggestions forum was for suggesting new features, etc. Not suggesting what Toady do with HIS game that he is SHARING with us, with HIS money that WE who SUPPORT WHAT HE DOES GAVE HIM, FULLY TRUSTING THAT HE IS DOING WHAT IS FOR OUR AND HIS BEST INTEREST IN REGARDS TO HIS GAME.

/rant

Now that I have that out of the way; you're suggesting dynamic animations to come even CLOSE to the level of detail capable of this engine by NOT visually representing it. Modern games may have 100+ animations for a single subset of animation, but that's still ONE HUNDRED STATIC ANIMATIONS, that WILL ALWAYS BE THE SAME ANIMATIONS. Not to mention coding the interaction framework, and doing it well... you're suggesting a multiBILLION dollar undertaking, with the highest level developers in the world, with godlike omniscient leadership and coordination. When even shite entirely linear and dull games take millions of dollars to produce over the period of two years... If this even ATTEMPTED 3D graphics, it would be horrible. God, it gives me nightmares of Two Worlds, all over again.

DF is the way it is. If you haven't donated, then you have no right to say what to do with donated money. If you have, then it's with the understanding that ultimately this is TOADY'S project. He's not going to go from ASCII to 3D, him and his brother to a hundred man coding team.

PS There WAS a 3D Adventure Mode DF; it's called Slaves of Armok 1. See how far that got. :eye roll:

tl;dr This suggestion is fundamentally the result of ignorance of coding and game development and should be completely ignored. Say no to development hell and say yes to the current state of development purgatory.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:08:09 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 08:07:25 pm »

Would be better to stay in 2D pixel. 3D looks terrible until you get to like, crysis 2 stage. At that point, you're computer wouldn't be able to run it.
Something along the lines of Eldrone's work.
http://www.youtube.com/user/eldrony
http://eldrone.tumblr.com/

Really nice pixel art looks far better then anything under SUPREME 3D graphics.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 08:09:05 pm »

Would be better to stay in 2D pixel. 3D looks terrible until you get to like, crysis 2 stage. At that point, you're computer wouldn't be able to run it.
Something along the lines of Eldrone's work.
http://www.youtube.com/user/eldrony
http://eldrone.tumblr.com/

Really nice pixel art looks far better then anything under SUPREME 3D graphics.

I can almost agree that 2D pixel art looks AMAZING, better than 3D often times. But not for DF in my opinion.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

steakbbq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2011, 08:20:00 pm »

I direct you to my essay on Abstract vs. Realistic graphics

Always remember that the absence of a solution in no way means there is not a solution.

I direct you to euphoria

I also Direct you to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

Imagine having a complete world where the very stones in the dirt existed and could be mined out individually.

I am a bit skeptical on that second link. I have done a bit of research and the maker of minecraft points out that a lot of the geometry is instanced. Not sure about the reality of it.

Maybe I will make a df scene in 3d and show you guys how completely awesome it would look.

With the incredibly detailed engine running behind the scenes I really believe that there is a groundwork here for an amazingly complex and detailed 3d game.

I was recently derping around with bitcoins. I learned that GFX cards are super good at processing some types of data like on the magnitude of 1000 times better.

I am not sure of the exact type of calculations but I tapped into my 5700 series radeon and was able to do some bit coin mining at about 1000 times the speed as my quad core 3.4ghz processor.

I would imagine that a lot of the calculations for df could be optimized and ran through the gpu in the video card.

Oh, here is what could be used for terrain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf8YQ9WSdiw
It is fractal generated so you could have complete randomly generated landscapes.

This is how the camera and ui would function http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rX06lGgMB4&feature=related also with the ability to til and look to the horizon, or go into freelook mode.

Regardless if it is possible at the moment or not. The technology will be there eventually.

I feel the df engine is amazing, expertly crafted, most likely not optimized to the fullest but intricate and deep nonetheless. If toady could expand his horizon and find someone that had the same motivation and personal vision for the gfx this could be one of the best games of all time.

of course some things would have to change. Characters would not move instantly to a new tile, they would walk to each tile, the game would move a bit slower combat would need to be tweaked so that fights wouldn't last for too long.

I don't know, I am highly optimistic and I think it is completely in the realm of possibility to do something like this.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:40:37 pm by steakbbq »

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 08:36:55 pm »

...Who let the elf out of the cage?

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011, 09:39:17 pm »

Hermit forts are the most easily managed.
Add in 80 workers and you have a mess.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2011, 10:51:39 pm »

Would be better to stay in 2D pixel. 3D looks terrible until you get to like, crysis 2 stage.

While I absolutely disagree with you in how far you need to go in 3d to have stuff looking good.

I will agree that the early stages of 3d was truely a dark era in gaming where great 2d games made a leap to HORRIBLE 3d graphics.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4