Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 451903 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #2535 on: November 18, 2012, 10:40:58 pm »

Innovative is pretty useless if your catholic imho. Narrowminded gives you all the good bonuses for the Holy See and stuff. On the other hand, if your not Catholic, then there's little reason not to go Innovative, especially if your not western tech and need to Westernize.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: November 19, 2012, 02:20:08 am »

Well, there's an alternative in the reformation era too. You can pick up Encumenism, which will essentially remove the negative effect for heretics in your land. If you flip religion to one of the reformation ones, you'll actually gain more tolerance for heretics than your brand new religion.
This is good, since you'll find that true faith provinces will start randomly flipping to other heretic religions.

That's what I did for my Brittany game. Went full on Innovative and Free Subjects. Enormous trade sealed the deal. Dominated the world in technological advancement.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: November 19, 2012, 03:48:18 am »

This is good, since you'll find that true faith provinces will start randomly flipping to other heretic religions.
How is this good?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: November 19, 2012, 03:59:41 am »

How is this good?

I, personally, enjoy chaos and bloodshed. He might mean other nations' provinces, which would be hilarious.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:24:23 am by Jackrabbit »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: November 19, 2012, 04:09:12 am »

How is this good?
He was talking about a situation where your tolerance for heretics is higher than that for people of the true faith.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: November 19, 2012, 10:49:20 am »

Is there any easy way to determine if you're going to start a world war in Divine Wind? The UI doesn't really seem clear on what will and will not cause a cascading alliance. I've gotten hopelessly rusty after playing so much CKII. I also miss "war goals" with a passion usually reserved for women.

You want to vassalise that mangy one province minor with that mission you got? Think again, SPONTANEOUS QUADRUPLE SUPERPOWER ALLIANCE! :(

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: November 19, 2012, 11:23:03 am »

Just remember that only war leaders can call in allies*, although (pu) vassals will always help their overlord if they are allied.
As long as you don't attack someone with a significantly stronger ally (Like Genoa -> France) you will never have a cascading alliance.

*With alliance I mean everything from a guarantee(?) to being in someone's sphere of influence.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: November 19, 2012, 12:30:22 pm »

Is there any easy way to determine if you're going to start a world war in Divine Wind? The UI doesn't really seem clear on what will and will not cause a cascading alliance. I've gotten hopelessly rusty after playing so much CKII. I also miss "war goals" with a passion usually reserved for women.

You want to vassalise that mangy one province minor with that mission you got? Think again, SPONTANEOUS QUADRUPLE SUPERPOWER ALLIANCE! :(
Ahhh, those were fun times.  I remember getting all of europe into a war by trying to vassalize Meissen, with me(Burgundy) and most of the HRE and France (even though I wasn't emperor, just VASSALIZED EVERYTHING) Against Spain, Scotland (who ate England after I beat England in a war), Portugal, Poland, Norway, Sweden, Granada (who was catholic for some silly reason), Lithuania, a few Italian minors, and Sicily.  'Twas fun, though I couln't vassalize most of them because they were either too big or infamy was too high.  So I waited out a decade or two for provinces to defect.

What I learned is that the AI for having tons of allies in a fight sucks.  I had about 200k allied troops from all my vassals sitting outside a province with.... 20k enemy soldiers.  Why?  Because every individual country in that stack had less, and nobody thought to work together.  So I had to bring some of my 300k standing army around to attract the horde into an ongoing fight, which they would all gladly do.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: November 19, 2012, 01:31:02 pm »

I have a question to ask:
I'm Aragon, and I used france to bully castille into a personal union. However, castille won't stop sending insults. Do you guys have any idea if castille stops eventually, or will I have to roll over castille with france again? (Death & Taxes mod)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: November 19, 2012, 01:45:30 pm »

Well that's why you shouldn't try to PU someone massive and next to you. I guess you should just try to hold out until they lose their leader.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: November 19, 2012, 02:03:39 pm »

I have a question to ask:
I'm Aragon, and I used france to bully castille into a personal union. However, castille won't stop sending insults. Do you guys have any idea if castille stops eventually, or will I have to roll over castille with france again? (Death & Taxes mod)

When I play as Denmark Sweden does this. They'll stop if you're in a war with someone together. Just bully Morocco or something.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: November 19, 2012, 02:31:35 pm »

Yea, its hard to keep a country that is larger then you in a PU. Stay in war until you gain enough land over Castille to stop them from insulting.

That whole deal kind of adds insult to injury for Aragon, and it's why I never bother to play as them. You go through all that work to finally gain dominance over the Castillian throne, then realize that they will just break the PU anyway. Boo!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: November 19, 2012, 02:57:29 pm »

I'd like to make a correction on something I said earlier. You DON'T get tariffs from South America if your capital is in North America and there is a land connection. But if a province that connects the 2 is under siege then it doesn't count as a connection anymore.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: November 19, 2012, 04:41:41 pm »

When the nation of Dauphiné managed to declare independence from France, I thought they wouldn't mind being ruled by a fellow Occitan nation instead.

Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: November 19, 2012, 04:52:31 pm »

FOR DAUPHINE!
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 194